Home › Forums › Dinosaur Related Discussions › Dinosaur/J News & Discussions › free so free review from 2 walls webzine – march 2004
- This topic has 4 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 19 years, 2 months ago by FlyingCloud.
March 27, 2004 at 2:41 pm #46865
J. Mascis & The Fog
Free So Free (2002)
Review by: Matthew Scrivner
This album proves that the dying embers of a genre bonfire can still burn brightly if stoked. Which implies that this is genre rock, and maybe thatâ€™s a bit unfair.
To clarify, for those unfamiliar with J. Mascis, he was a founding member of the band Dinosaur Jr., a band that, arguably, achieved itâ€™s apex during the era of grunge â€“ though arguably the loose, fast, resonant sounds of that band owed more to Emo and Punk than the hair metal that inspired the grunge genre. Truthfully back in those flannel-clad glory days, I myself was never really a Dinosaur Jr. fan; and I am positive there is some die-hard fan out there that will scream at me for calling their beloved band something it isnâ€™t. How else to categorize it?
For the purposes of this review, it doesnâ€™t matter.
What I will say is that Free So Free captures a rich, layered, emotionally powerful rock sound that has all the integrity of the music of the early nineties. This makes it distinct from the bubble-gum nÃ¼-rock and schoolyard punk that is currently considered â€œalternativeâ€March 27, 2004 at 4:47 pm #100914
cool find, rambleon
…written by someone who just found out about Free so Free, and liked it so much to write a review, although the record is out for some time now 🙂
For he doesn’t own any of Mascis’ prvious work, his idea about the Dino sound fits quite precisely, I think. and I’d surely recommend him to take some closer look on the one or other Dino/J recordMarch 28, 2004 at 6:40 am #100915
rambleonParticipant"Flying Cloud" wrote:and I’d surely recommend him to take some closer look on the one or other Dino/J record
me tooMarch 29, 2004 at 1:18 pm #100916
Did he have a different version than us because I haven’t seen a song called stand alone.March 29, 2004 at 1:40 pm #100917
I think he meant outside
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
- Click to email a link to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)