Home Forums General Discussions Open Topic For the Brits out there

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

malcom
    Participant

What the fuck is Quid? I mean besides that game in the Harry Potter books?

buckingham rabbit
    Participant

I’m not a Brit, but I think ‘quid’ is just slang for pound. So it would be analogous to ‘buck’ or something for our dollar.

Javro

you are indeed correct, along with other synonyms such as "squid" and "nugget". Alternatives for a five pound note (a "fiver") include "lady Godiva" or "bluey" (they are blue in colour) and for a ten pound note ("tenner") one could say "Ayrton Senna", or "browny" due, you guessed it, to the brown colouring.

More cockney speak for ya would include 50 quid being called a "pony" and 500 smackers being called a "monkey". Don’t ask me why…..

<small>[ 07-03-2002, 06:46 AM: Message edited by: Javro ]</small>

sarsaparilly
    Participant

evil malkie- you so obviously did not read harry potter, quidditch is a fuckin’ wizard sport like rugby/polo/jaialai on brooms. it kicks ass and i read way too much fer sure cuz on my reading list this summer is Quidditch through the ages by kennilworthy whisp.
    javro you are adorable, i could defiantely use some pointers on my brit dialects, can you translate phonetically for me?

malcom
    Participant

Sarsparilly, you are correct, I read all four Harry Potter books twice. Cor!, I work in a fucking childrens library hear! I got book four the day it came out, and read it within 72 hours of reception.

Not sure if this is something to be proud of. . .

Javro

Sarsaparilly, my dear, my services are at your command.
    Or should that be "mi suhrvissis ahr att yore komahnd???"

Also, your quotey thingy is indeed by "the bard"

Where the bee sucks, there suck I
    In a cowslip’s bell I lie
    There I couch when owls do cry.
    On the bat’s back I do fly
    After summer merrily.
    Merrily, merrily shall I live now
    Under the blossom that hangs on the bough.

Woah Willy.

<small>[ 07-04-2002, 04:44 AM: Message edited by: Javro ]</small>

sarsaparilly
    Participant

yar(like a freakin’ pirate) matey, i knew i’ twas william.

i just did not want to look like a snob quoting the infamous willie, as i am wont to do.
    evil malkie, cool you are. i am workin’ on a kid’s book this summer and i am utterly proud of you for your reading enthusiasm but i wanna know did ya read fantastic beasts and where to find them by newt salamander???
    it happens to be ridiculously hot and humid here on the cape ann so i am gonna go jump off the jetty and float on my back for a bit. thinkin’ of all ya freaks and hopin’ ya stay chilled.

malcom
    Participant

Nope, never read the side books.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.