Home Forums General Discussions Open Topic Flaming Lips reissues

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Bucky Ramone
    Participant

The Flaming Lips, the first eight years…..

Restless Records and Rykodisc are proud to release two deluxe, multi-disc The Flaming Lips packages that provide a comprehensive look at the band’s first eight years. Encompassing their debut EP, their first four full-length albums, and a wealth of previously unreleased and hard-to-find material, Finally The Punk Rockers Are Taking Acid 1983-1988 and The Day They Shot A Hole In The Jesus Egg 1989-1991 are essential releases for both fans and recent converts. These two sets document a band of ambitious young upstarts creating a unique sound and tracks the evolution of powerful body of work. All previously released material has been re-mastered by The Flaming Lips’ long-time producer Dave Fridmann with the band’s bassist Michael Ivins. Each package features new artwork and extensive liner notes by the band’s Wayne Coyne.

Finally The Punk Rockers Are Taking Acid
    The first package, Finally The Punk Rockers Are Taking Acid 1983-1988, is a 3-CD set that contains the band’s self-titled, self-released debut EP, their first three full-lengths, Hear It Is, Oh My Gawd!!!…The Flaming Lips and Telepathic Surgery, and 16 bonus tracks including previously unreleased studio and live recordings. Ranging from rough and amusing to powerful and brilliant, the songs contained in this package are always engaging and enlightening. Recorded in 1983 and released in 1984, The Flaming Lips EP is the only recording to feature the band’s original line-up. The five songs contained on the EP display a willingness to take chances and an unselfconscious purity. More garage-rock than anything the band has recorded since, several of the tracks from the EP would not sound out of place on the Nuggets box. Hear It Is (1986), The Flaming Lips next release (recorded as a three-piece with Wayne taking over vocals from his brother and drummer Richard English replacing Dave Kostka) was unlike anything else being made in the mid-’80s. Foregoing the punk ethos of the time, the band embraced an experimental approach that borrowed freely from the preceding twenty years of rock history. Dissonant and melodic, structured and chaotic, the band’s songs captivated through their beauty and ability to surprise. Continuing as a three-piece the band recorded two more albums, Oh My Gawd!!!…The Flaming Lips (1987) and Telepathic Surgery (1988). Each album, though distinct from the other, displayed the band’s growing command of its unique vocabulary and aesthetic. More ambitious than the two previous releases Oh My Gawd!!!… features more complex arrangements and an affinity for the experimental approach of psychedelic and prog-rock. In addition to the nine-minute opus "One Million Billionth Of A Millisecond On A Sunday Afternoon," the album ends with a recording of the band destroying a piano with a sledgehammer. Telepathic Surgery is a more raucous album, with generally shorter songs and a tighter sound that resulted from constant touring.

Bonus tracks included on this collection include demos recorded in 1985 for Restless Records and covers of the Who’s "Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere" and Neil Young’s "After The Gold Rush."

The Day They Shot A Hole In The Jesus Egg
    The Day They Shot A Hole In The Jesus Egg: The Priest Driven Ambulance Album, Demos and Outtakes 1989-1991 is an exhaustive look at the band’s seminal 1990 album In A Priest Driven Ambulance, including the original album and concurrently released Unconsciously Screamin’ EP (originally issued on the Atavistic label) and The Mushroom Tapes – an often bootlegged collection of demos of most of the songs that were later cut for the album. The 2-CD set also includes several alternate takes of tracks from the album as well as compilation contributions from the period.

Undergoing yet another line-up change Wayne and Michael were joined this time by Jonathan Donahue (later of Mercury Rev) on guitar and vocals, and drummer Nathan Roberts. This album also marks the first time the band worked with producer Dave Fridmann, who has gone on to record most of The Flaming Lips’ subsequent albums (…the album was actually Dave’s college senior-year recording project). A critic and fan favorite, In A Priest… is the album in which the band arrived at its fully developed sound. Containing an eclectic combination of classic rock, psychedelic sounds, ’60s pop and a touch of Louis Armstrong, the album quickly established itself as a college rock classic. More powerful, musically, than the preceding albums, the songs contained benefit from a greater lyrical depth and more confidence as a unit. Amongst others, the album includes fan favorites "Unconsciously Screamin’" and "Shine On Sweet Jesus."

About The Band
    Formed in 1982 in Norman, OK, The Flaming Lips have grown over the last twenty years from a group of inspired amateurs to one of today’s most powerful and influential bands. Initially comprised of bassist Michael Ivins, guitarist Wayne Coyne, his brother Mark on vocals, and drummer Dave Kostka, the origins of the band’s name remain elusive (sometimes credited to a dream Wayne had at the time) but not its inspiration. Like many bands that emerged as part of the burgeoning American underground of the early ’80s, The Flaming Lips came together out of a collective sense of boredom and frustrated creativity. And like other bands of this period The Flaming Lips were influenced by the seminal punk rock bands of the ’70s, the growing hardcore community, and contemporaries like Hüsker Dü and the Minutemen.

From the beginning, however, The Flaming Lips separated themselves from other bands through their willingness to experiment and a refusal to be constrained by expectation or ideology. Long before it became fashionable, The Flaming Lips found inspiration in the melodies of the Beatles and classic ’60s pop, psychedelic and ’70s prog-rock, classic-rock, and new wave. The band’s integration of genres and styles, though more the norm today, was almost unheard of at the time. Quickly abandoning the loud-fast-rules mentality of its peers, The Flaming Lips set about creating a singular and compelling sound that continues to this day.

More than simply historical pieces for aficionados, these releases contain some of the most exciting music made by one of today’s most vibrant and respected rock bands.

bob
    Participant

Flaming LIps are awesome. Priest, Hit, Heart, Clouds, Soft, Robots. Name another band that made 6 flawless records in a row (Dinosaur Jr is the only other that comes to mind).

I’m considering buying the 3 cd set. I used to have Oh my Gawd…!!! and the compilation (1984-1991???) but I sold them. With I would have kept the comp because it had a video for Unconsciously Screaming on it. Oh My Gawd had a couple good songs on it but it wasn’t the perfection of Everything after and including Priest.

I would buy the second one but then I would have to sell Priest.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.