Home › Forums › Musicians & D.I.Y. Artists › Guitar Room › fender amps
- This topic has 1 reply, 1 voice, and was last updated 22 years, 2 months ago by OriginalPosterLost.
March 6, 2001 at 4:41 pm #43255
This is a topic many people must have a lot to say about. What vintage fender amps are the best buy? Silverface twins can be had for $600 or so. But maybe that’s too big. Or for some reason the blackface are better. What is "the skinny" on old fender tube amps. I only own a vibro champ. Kind of want a princeton reverb but for a little amp they are expensive. p.s. wasted lovesongs has some of the best dinosaur jr.
March 6, 2001 at 6:08 pm #55468
In ’68 after CBS bought the Fender name from Leo Fender (the originator) a few adjustments were made to many of the amps… Most notably the silver face, but the electronics were changed some too. This was in responce to the rock and roll craze of the 60’s in order to make the amps louder. However, in doing so it sacrificed some of their tone.
Silver faces are cheaper and almost as good, and if you can find a good tech you can have them "black faced" which is where a few changes are made to bring them back to pre ’68 standards (the face will still be silver though.)
If you want a really good amp that’s a little smaller than a Twin, I suggest a Deluxe-Reverb… It’s what I use. Also, Fender didn’t make a whole lot of changes to these so the silver faces are still really good. Still the closer to ’68 you can find them the better. I have a ’68 model (because I was lucky [img]http://www.freakscene.net/ubb/smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] ) ’68s are identifiable by a small aluminum frame around the grill cloth…
a lot more info can be found at the link below, including dating methods…
I hope I’ve been some help,
"If you can’t pay money… At least pay attention!" – My Dad
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
- Click to email a link to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)