Home Forums Dinosaur Related Discussions Dinosaur/J News & Discussions Farm-CD mastering error ????

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    trensidoh
    Participant

I bought my copy of the Farm CD today (European version on PIAS). I’ve also had the PIAS promo CD for several weeks now.

What I noticed is that the "commercial" CD release is TOTALLY clipped ! Every song is a completely distorted, fuzzy mess and I doubt it is intentional. I even did a quick analysis of the audio wave-forms and realized that the promo is clipping on the right channel (but basically it sounds fine) while the official version looks like a huge "block" on my screen when opening the audio-data with my audio mastering software (Pro Tools – same software that Dino recorded this album with) – absolutely no dynamics left and both channels are clipping like crazy. Simply put – it’s mastered TOO LOUD !!!!

IT CAN’T BE INTENTIONAL. It doesn’t make any sense. It is unlistenable.

Now I am confused.

Did anybody else notice ?

Should I contact the band’s management ?

tonas

Weird man, I know some people complained about this issue with Beyond. I got my copy yesterday and it sounds fine, of course I haven’t looked at it with mastering software but my copy sounds great to me. Thats lame Trensidoh, not sure what you should do?….

trensidoh
    Participant

It’s odd ! I thought about contacting John Agnello or PIAS directly.

I haven’t checked my vinyl version yet but those usually have a better dynamic range than CDs anyways.

I wonder if they still use different masters for different pressings in different countries these days – something that was common practice back in the 60s/70s/80s days of vinyl pressings…. but nowadays with CDs that shouldn’t be an issue actually….

But, well, hey, maybe I have a genuine collector’s item ! ;-)

Annastefka
    Participant

That sucks….I’ve heard of a similar problem as well, I wonder what that’s all about.

alosaur
    Participant

I ripped the files as lossless wavs and opened them in protools and it is mastered very loud but it doesn’t clip and there are some parts that aren’t totally blocked out. I got the american release though. Wouldn’t think they would be different unless they are mastered and distributed from europe directly.

alosaur
    Participant

A quote Murph just made on the new album.
    “It’s a very loud record, really loud and it doesn’t sound as good on low volume,” Murph said. “The louder you turn it up, the clearer everything comes through.”

hansjoakim
    Participant

didn’t agnelli mention during the pitchfork.tv interview that the record is mastered "super loud"? i feel my vinyl of "beyond" is way too loud/clipped as well, so i remember that comment freaked me out a bit. has anyone heard the farm vinyl yet? similar to the cd?

trensidoh
    Participant

Yeah, but "loud" doesn’t mean "distorted". It’s definitely a miss-pressing – everything sounds as if the band is singing and playing through a kazoo….

I will try to contact the band about this.

Smallstone
    Participant

I’ve played my CD – not my vinyl – it’s mastered loud. But it’s not ‘distorting’. It’s just loud :D

King Tubby
    Participant
    "trensidoh" wrote:
    Yeah, but "loud" doesn’t mean "distorted". It’s definitely a miss-pressing – everything sounds as if the band is singing and playing through a kazoo….

I will try to contact the band about this.

Didn’t J once remark that since a guitar sounds better with distortion, a whole record would too?

demoralizeduk
    Participant

There’s definetly a problem with the mastering. I can barely hear the vocals. A little bit annoyed to be honest. Pre ordered it, arrived early, but all I can hear is the guitars. The drums are quiet and the vocals are barely noticable.

King Tubby
    Participant
    "demoralizeduk" wrote:
    There’s definetly a problem with the mastering. I can barely hear the vocals. A little bit annoyed to be honest. Pre ordered it, arrived early, but all I can hear is the guitars. The drums are quiet and the vocals are barely noticable.

Maybe you need new speakers. My cd sounds great on both my home stereo (w/Infinity Primus speakers) and in the car. It’s mixed perfectly to my ears — everything’s nice and balanced, and nestled in a bed of fuzzy guitars. Vocals are clear and fully present, as are the drums, and it’s got a decent amount of bass presence. Production- and mix-wise, it sounds far better than Beyond.

The Post
    Participant

Tubby, the people with problems are referring to the European release. From your sig I detect you may well have the US release, so your comments aren’t really going to help anyone. Annoy them, maybe.

I’ve got the vinyl waiting at the Post Office. Anyone had problems with the UK vinyl? I’ll place my Jagjaguwar order if so….

jeremiah
    jeremiah
    Keymaster

I sent a note to the band’s management to see if they can either notify the UK distributor or if they have some contact info to share to see if we can get it addressed.
    I am not hearing any of that on the US pressing.

demoralizeduk
    Participant
    "King Tubby" wrote:
    "demoralizeduk" wrote:

Maybe you need new speakers. My cd sounds great on both my home stereo (w/Infinity Primus speakers) and in the car. It’s mixed perfectly to my ears — everything’s nice and balanced, and nestled in a bed of fuzzy guitars. Vocals are clear and fully present, as are the drums, and it’s got a decent amount of bass presence. Production- and mix-wise, it sounds far better than Beyond.

Trust me. I don’t need new speakers. Beyond sounds a good as ever.

I bought mine from HMV. Not sure whether to contact them, or to contact the bands management team?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.