Home Forums General Discussions Open Topic eddie vedder vs. bill callahan

• This topic has 6 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 20 years ago by SG.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

buckingham rabbit
    Participant

a few weeks ago i was playing smog and my sister claimed that callahan sounds like eddie vedder. of course i denied this. in all honesty, this thought had never crossed my mind. she says only when eddie vedder sings acoustically or on that song ‘crazy mary’. i have never heard vedder sing acoustically, but its just not true about ‘crazy mary’. vedder has that distinctive quiver in his voice all the time.

so does anyone else have an opinon about this?

rosa
    Participant

Hey br,

I hadn’t really heard Smog, so after reading your post I hunted some down on the web. I don’t hear a resemblance to Eddie, except maybe in the production on some of the songs (the way the vocal is up-front, thick, and clear). Callahan’s voice has a totally different tone and pitch, and a different feel altogether. He sounds a little more nasaly, and a lot more British.

xo
    Rosa

SG
    Participant

I don`t think they sound alike.My sister thinks Ira from Yo La Tengo sounds like Kermit The Frog [img]images/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

jamclark
    Participant

I can’t really seem to hear any Eddie Vedder in Mr. Smog. Even on slower/acoustic Pearl Jam songs, like the one they used to play on the radio about 5 years ago… Elderly Woman Behind a Counter or whatever… Vedder is *singing*. I rarely hear Bill put much effort into what he’s saying. Even when he does actually sing on songs like ‘Bathysphere’, I dont hear any thing close to Eddie Vedder.

Then again I associate with people who claim that Will Oldham sounds like a dog that was shot, so who knows.

-Jamie

pearl jam never did it for me
    they had the long hair and bullshit going on
    i know who was into flannel before them…
    -sebadoh ‘gimmie indie rock’

SG
    Participant

Does anyone think that Doug from Built To Spill sounds like Carly Simon?(especially the beginning of Made Up Dreams).

Long Distance Drunk
    Participant

</font><blockquote><font>quote:</font><hr><font>Originally posted by Salamiguy:
    <strong>Does anyone think that Doug from Built To Spill sounds like Carly Simon?(especially the beginning of Made Up Dreams).</strong></font><hr></blockquote><font>

No. Not anymore than Mascis sounds like oh…Chrissy Hynde.
    [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img]

SG
    Participant

Hey Hit The Wine
    J kinda sounds like Tom Petty with a sore throat [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.