Home Forums Dinosaur Related Discussions Live reviews / meetups do they play songs from later in Dino years?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #48735
    Avatar
    thelasttoknow
    Participant

    Hi all.
    Wow, what a way for me to begin posting on the forums … oh well, here it goes …
    I grabbed my ticket for the Melbourne Australia show, and I’m pumped beyond belief. I’m a very, VERY late comer to D-Jr, only discovered it all like 2 years ago, so it’s a lot of work for me to catch up.
    I’ve got a few of the albums: Bug, Green Mind, You’re Living All Over Me, Hand It Over, Without A Sound with the bonus Keeblin disc, Quest, and the Whatever’s Cool With Me EP.
    I love it all, but I have to admit my preference lies with the later material, like Quest & Hand It Over. I know this is uber-blasphemous, but it’s what I like.
    My question is: with this reformation of the original band, have they been playing much stuff that WASN’T on the first three albums? Not that I’d really mind if they haven’t, but I just don’t want to go to the show expecting anything.
    I know I could probably do a search and find someone else who’s already asked this question and got answers, but it’s much easier to just ask again :)
    Thanks, and I’m sure I’ll frequent the board more once I pop my Dino live cherry!

    Mattress

    #114610
    Avatar
    RSTguitars
    Participant

    I believe that the only song they’ve been playing that’s NOT from the first 3 albums is The Wagon.

    I’m also really into the later material… but I’ve seen 3 shows on this tour so far, and I guarantee you won’t be disappointed!

    #114611
    Avatar
    malkmus
    Participant

    I keep thinking whether or not I should keep screaming ‘Alone’ at J or not during the Sydney shows… ::)

    #114612
    Avatar
    kracked873
    Participant

    yeah just the wagon, but with the new album on the rise, who knows whats to come.

    #114613
    Avatar
    hmmmmm
    Participant
    "RSTguitars " wrote:
    I believe that the only song they’ve been playing that’s NOT from the first 3 albums is The Wagon.

    I’m also really into the later material… but I’ve seen 3 shows on this tour so far, and I guarantee you won’t be disappointed!

    I wish a) I had found this forum, and b) read this post; before I purchased my tixs for last nights DISAPPOINTING Melbourne Show.

    ummm… pay $50 to hear just "The Wagon"… NO THANKS!!

    Throw in some other classics for the average core base of fans – "Hide", "Out There", "Get Me", "Goin Home", "Feel the Pain", "I Don’t Think So" and I’ll consider paying $50 again. :P

    #114614
    Avatar
    malkmus
    Participant

    ::) :(

    #114615
    Avatar
    thelasttoknow
    Participant

    Heh, I just replied to your review hmmmm, saying that if I hadn’t asked, I’d feel the same as you.

    #114616
    Avatar
    hmmmmm
    Participant
    "thelasttoknow " wrote:
    Heh, I just replied to your review hmmmm, saying that if I hadn’t asked, I’d feel the same as you.

    cheers. glad you did your research and knew what to expect ;)

    I’ll live and learn and will do my homework if there is a next time… but tis pretty rare for a band to play only their backdated material?? have you ever heard of this before?? usually bands would only do this if their fan base hates various albums – certainly not the case with Dinosaur Jr – everyone loves all their ‘more recent’ releases!!

    I could sense at the gig last night that the crowd was primed for a familar tune and were then ready to explode into life – that tune was "Freakscene" – but as I said it was all too late. Imagine if they opened with ‘Out There’, followed by ‘Feel the Pain’ then backdate, then into Freakscene etc etc. I can only dream…

    Look forward to reading your detailed review and hope your ears repair soon!

    #114617
    Avatar
    mike williamson
    Participant
    "hmmmmm " wrote:
    "thelasttoknow " wrote:
    Heh, I just replied to your review hmmmm, saying that if I hadn’t asked, I’d feel the same as you.

    cheers. glad you did your research and knew what to expect ;)

    I’ll live and learn and will do my homework if there is a next time… but tis pretty rare for a band to play only their backdated material?? have you ever heard of this before?? usually bands would only do this if their fan base hates various albums – certainly not the case with Dinosaur Jr – everyone loves all their ‘more recent’ releases!!
    Imagine if they opened with ‘Out There’, followed by ‘Feel the Pain’ then backdate, then into Freakscene etc etc. I can only dream…

    Any real fans have been getting those songs for years live. Why have you not been going to J MASCIS & THE FOG shows? J’s been playing in a 3 piece rock band that’s basically identical to DINO for years since the breakup and I’ve always heard the later hits at those shows. OUT THERE, GET ME, ALONE, etc etc.

    I like the WARNER records alot too, but the original lineup was only on SST, and that’s the lineup touring, so that’s the songs we get. I wouldn’t have expected otherwise.

    Mike

    #114618
    Avatar
    hmmmmm
    Participant
    "mike williamson " wrote:
    "hmmmmm " wrote:
    "thelasttoknow " wrote:
    Heh, I just replied to your review hmmmm, saying that if I hadn’t asked, I’d feel the same as you.

    cheers. glad you did your research and knew what to expect ;)

    I’ll live and learn and will do my homework if there is a next time… but tis pretty rare for a band to play only their backdated material?? have you ever heard of this before?? usually bands would only do this if their fan base hates various albums – certainly not the case with Dinosaur Jr – everyone loves all their ‘more recent’ releases!!
    Imagine if they opened with ‘Out There’, followed by ‘Feel the Pain’ then backdate, then into Freakscene etc etc. I can only dream…

    Any real fans have been getting those songs for years live. Why have you not been going to J MASCIS & THE FOG shows? J’s been playing in a 3 piece rock band that’s basically identical to DINO for years since the breakup and I’ve always heard the later hits at those shows. OUT THERE, GET ME, ALONE, etc etc.

    I like the WARNER records alot too, but the original lineup was only on <a>SST</a>, and that’s the lineup touring, so that’s the songs we get. I wouldn’t have expected otherwise.

    Mike

    Hi dude. I’ve answered this on my other posting – see "Melbourne Show" and scroll through my comments. I was out of the country (SAmerica then UK) for previous tours and this was my first chance.

    Remember, we’re not all in Dino J forums day and night… if ever. Many of us who go to a gig see a poster in a pub from a band we worshipped in the 1990s and check out the bands website expecting much the same (I have the POWs St Kilda concert from mid 1990s).

    Tell me, on this web site "Tour Link" where does it mention anything about the show being a 3 album concert?? Anywhere… besides forums?? People like ‘thelasttoknow’ only found out by trawling through forums like this. 2/3rds of the crowd on Sunday night were dumbfounded – why?? we had no idea about the format. Or maybe others knew but didn’t feel obliged to go out and purchase 3 reissues with a D Jr gun to their heads ;) I would have liked a choice either way to either buy the back issues or to stay at home knowing I wouldn’t hear any songs off my cds (except The Wagon) – it’s a unique concert format and you need to hit fringe fans from the 1990s with a hammer in the head at TIME OF TIX PURCHASE to explain it!! ::)

    ps – gee I wish Mike Johnson (or anyone else) was back in the band… all this Lou album nostalgia is getting me teary eyed… err did Mike J play tracks from the Lou years – yep!! Can someone else play bass as well as Lou – yep!! my vote is still with Mike J – he’d kick Lou’s ass from here to Tasmania ;D

    #114619
    Avatar
    trensidoh
    Participant

    Well, Tasmania is not THAT far away from Australia…. :P

    Anyway, Mike J’s bass playing is pretty similar to Lou’s, so it’s hard to compare them. Mike may be a bit louder, that’s all. Lou definitely brings in a 3rd dimension with his style that Mike doesn’t have in my opinion. Plus, with the J, Lou Murph lineup we get to see a REAL band, something the other Dino-lineups never quite were… viva the hardcore fan ! ;)

    #114620
    Avatar
    kracked873
    Participant
    "hmmmmm " wrote:
    gee I wish Mike Johnson (or anyone else) was back in the band… all this Lou album nostalgia is getting me teary eyed… err did Mike J play tracks from the Lou years – yep!! Can someone else play bass as well as Lou – yep!! my vote is still with Mike J – he’d kick Lou’s ass from here to Tasmania ;D

    chyaa riiight.

    #114621
    Avatar
    hmmmmm
    Participant

    I knew I’d get roasted… fair enough…

    hey, at least I had the guts to step on a few toes and say how I felt.

    I’ll cut n paste this onto other threads and leave you all in peace!! ;) JK

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.