Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author

JayDee
    Participant

Hey all,

Ive been posting on this board for a few years now under Goodvibes_j. And have been a long time Dino fan. Been to every Australian J/Dino show in 95, 97, 2000, 2001 and 2003. Own EVERYTHING J’s put out.

But….I need help…Free So Free has turned right of J completely…I think it is the biggest, most boring, half assed attempt at an album I have ever heard. These words I never thought would come from my own mouth. I bought it the day it was released and gave it many, many chances. I just cannot see the beauty in this album.

Sacrilige, I hear you scream. Yeah , I know. But goddam I hate it. More Light was one of the greatest albums ive ever heard, but now this….

Please help me find my way back home.

The light is dimming on this Mascis fan…

Anthony
    Participant

download the charlottesville US 2003 J + The Fog show from http://www.freesofree.net.

play it very fucking loud.

you will be ok

play close attention to the track Free So free.

you will be ok

(remember… play it very fucking loud)

rambleon
    Participant

good thinking anthony …

i agree – sometimes it can take a live performance to turn you onto a song/album/performer/whatever …

so jaydee … now get into it !!!! :wink: :mrgreen:

FlyingCloud
    Participant

hey JayDee, it’s definitely worth to check out the J & the Fog live recordings of this year’s shows before giving up on Free So Free :!:

In these shows, you can see how perfectly the new songs fit with the other Dino/J stuff, and how good the new songs work with the volume to the max :aliensmile: :mrgreen: :idea:

JayDee
    Participant

Thx for the info guys. I had most of the shows already, but I did get the charlottesville show. And I gotta say, it didnt move me as it once would have…
    J was once my fave guitarist, for years and years. But he’s been surpassed by John Frusciante and Paw.

Ill see how the next album is. I think that will be the clencher. Am I the only person that seriously hates Free So Free? As you can see, im hangin on by a thread that once was…

Accepting defeat, Justin

expect nothing
    Participant

i think more light and free so free were different albums people are always going to like one quite a bit more than the other i think. like everyones said the latest live shows with the fog really show how good free so free is but i guess if you like more light, free so free might not have as much of an impact as more light did to you

bob
    Participant

I have to admit I agree with you JayDee. J has has "jumped the shark" in my mind with Free So Free.

Set Us Free
    Free So Free
    Outside

those 3 are amazing but the rest of it??? Too much dumb "rock and roll" type stuff. J seems to have become a charicature of himself and in some cases a complete mockery. I always listen to his music as an "alternative" to souless crap but "Say The Word". Fuck. It sounds like a recording some Guitar World editor made in his basement.

Dinosaur Jr was always the one band who I liked every single song.

I think should play slower solos. He is just firing off hundreds of notes it doesn’t have the passion that the solos on, say, Where You Been, had.

I don’t know about the freedom theme either. I’m not calling J dumb, I think he is a very intelligent but misunderstood guy but I think he shouldn’t try tackle that subject matter

I think J should try something completely different next time. He should have continued on in the directon started with Without A Sound. A studio acoustic record would be great. I also think he should try have someone else do the producing/mastering of his albums.

AGAP
    Participant
    "bob" wrote:
    I have to admit I agree with you JayDee. J has has "jumped the shark" in my mind with Free So Free.

Set Us Free
    Free So Free
    Outside

those 3 are amazing but the rest of it??? Too much dumb "rock and roll" type stuff. J seems to have become a charicature of himself and in some cases a complete mockery. I always listen to his music as an "alternative" to souless crap but "Say The Word". Fuck. It sounds like a recording some Guitar World editor made in his basement.

Dinosaur Jr was always the one band who I liked every single song.

I think should play slower solos. He is just firing off hundreds of notes it doesn’t have the passion that the solos on, say, Where You Been, had.

I don’t know about the freedom theme either. I’m not calling J dumb, I think he is a very intelligent but misunderstood guy but I think he shouldn’t try tackle that subject matter

I think J should try something completely different next time. He should have continued on in the directon started with Without A Sound. A studio acoustic record would be great. I also think he should try have someone else do the producing/mastering of his albums.

I have to say I disagree completely, J is definitely able to tackle the subject of freedom, intelligently & honestly. He lived thru the whole towers exploding deal, was in NYC when it happened. He doesn’t even live in NYC anymore, rented out his apartment. He’s continually dealing with the whole increased security on the east coast, even gets asked what he’s doing in the neighborhood parking lot when he’s just going out for dinner in Boston. I think we’ve all read some of his statements recently in interviews, about how he’s more than a little concerned about the acts a certain government are undertaking in the name of freedom. So the topic is something he seems to have a lot of concerns about, sounds like something he could tackle.

As for the caricature & complete mockery of himself…sorry you feel that way, I disagree completely with that as well. But then I love Bobbin’ & Say The Word, No Way & If That’s How It’s Gotta Be tons…all that dumb Rock’N Roll :wink: Hope you get a chance to download some live shows of the Fog doing some Free So Free material, maybe live you’d get that whole passion thing in his guitar playing. As for studio acoustic, I’d much rather another sonic production, but hey, to each their own. I just want more guitar, more loud solos, more J & The Fog shows…. 8)

Anthony
    Participant

say the word is one of the best in my opinion.

he just goes off on it. and that wah is great.

you sure we’re talking about the same tune ??
    :wink:

Anthony
    Participant
    Quote:
    My least fave is Say The Word
    Quote:
    You’re right, good song, goofy little lick after each verse sounds kinda jokey

can you make up your mind tard.

ammaringnyc
    Participant

I loved someone said, wish he would play it live. I don’t like CV that much I wish he was playing with the beachwood sparks. And I wish he had played with george and Juliana Hatfield. Anyway I think it will be a while till a new album since Bob’s placed burned, probably another year. I have seen J like 14 times in various forms this year so I think its cool if he goes back into hiding and comes out later with some new songs. Does anyone have no way they could send me, I lost my Japanese copy of Free So Free.
    Oh yeah and is that Charletsville show relatively new because I know I have downloaded the Philly and Hoboken but not sure about that show.
    Anyway if anyone would like to check out a song I did, I would appreciate any feedback. I suck at drums and just made the singing up on the spot. It is a rough demo but your thoughts will help shape it. Anyway its called neverending.

http://artists.iuma.com/IUMA/Bands/memory_eraser/index-1.html”>http://artists.iuma.com/IUMA/Bands/memo … dex-1.html

bob
    Participant

forgot about No Way. That song is not on my Free So Free but it’s kickass!!!

I brought free so free with me to listen to on the way to and from work today to give another listen.

Say the word: hate the lyrics, maybe it would help if I knew what it’s about. I had this teacher in grade 7 that always said "hey people" and it was really annoying and we made fun of him alot. The guitar playing/solo section is amazing but the part with the lyrics, the chicken scratch guitr, and the jokey little riff at the end just make it seem silly. But the instrumental part, f__ yeah!

FlyingCloud
    Participant

hey ammaringnyc, the J & the Fog show in Charlottesville was on February 13, 2003 and there is a great recording on FreeSoFree.net. it was the only time they played Free So Free, and this show definitely rocks, although the recordings of the Cambridge show & the Hoboken show from February this year are cool as well.

J did "Someone Said" several times solo acoustic (usually as the first song of a show), but I didn’t hear that he played it ever with the Fog – that should sound great, either :!:

If you happen to see me on AIM, I can send you No Way :)

I’ll check your recording as soon as I’ve got some 5 minutes left… so busy these days :( I liked your other tracks, so I’m looking forward to this one :)

chiodo33
    Participant

I think free so free is a not good album, cause it’s not an inspired album.I found in it too many "copy and paste" from dinosaur Jr album, too many attempts to do something old fans can appreciate or replicate some good stuff from more light. I think it’s the same error J did in without a sound, and the result is the same: some good songs, like free so free or others may be forgotten because there are terrible songs, like the last one (outside) or the single, that can let you hate the whole album.
    bye

PS: in my copy of free so free there is not No Way (i’m italian), is it possible to download in freesofree.net or in somewhere else?

mjw666
    Participant

Outside is a fucking terrible song. J had no inspiration whatsover when writing that song. Its pointless, It has a terrible overused guitar melody and uninspired vocal melody. J seems to record whatever melodies he can come up with. The most awful thing about J’s music is his production. I would give more light a 10/10 -the songs are actually pretty damn good. But I give it a 1/10 cos the production ruins it -its so awfull. I cant stand that plastic sound. J’s music only sounds good when it has a raw guitar sound (eg YLAOM, BUG, live stuff), But now the guitars sound so over processed that it does’nt sound like guitars anymore. He’s been doing that since ‘where you been’ and he still doesnt get it. J should start giving lou Barlow credit for once. Lou is probaly laughing in his face right now.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.