Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author

MoNK
    Participant

This is probably posted somewhere on the site, but I’ll ask anyways. How and/or why did Lou and Murph leave the band…I heard some pretty nasty rumors about J around this time and was in disbelief. Was it just "creative" diffrences or just time to start new projects?

ammaringnyc
    Participant

It was nasty with Lou, J hit him with his guitar because Lou was making lots of feedback with his bass. J and Murph said the band was broken up to Lou and than got right back together and than J signed with Warner. Murph and J broke up because Murph couldn’t play drums as funky as he could and the music was changing from the earlier more straightforward stuff. I hung out backstage the night they played together for the first time in 7 years (J and Murph) and although there were no hard feelings they definately weren’t buddy buddy. Lou recently came onstage and sang with J for the Stooges stuff and they talked and I think reconciled a bit, either way it would have been nice if Dino was more of a band, all collaberating like the early stuff but Green Mind and Where You Been and so on still rocked and I like it more than Sebadoh or anything Lou or Murph have since done.

Anthony
    Participant
    Quote:
    but Green Mind and Where You Been and so on still rocked and I like it more than Sebadoh or anything Lou or Murph have since done.

i second that !

expect nothing
    Participant

In ‘our band could be your life’ it explains about J going for lou on stage and its kinda funny when you read it, the wording of it and everything, the whole section on Dinosaur Jr is a really good read but that part kinda stuck out :) along with a lot of others but i wont say any more and spoil it if your gonna read it

AGAP
    Participant

J recently talked about the books spin on Dinosaur Jr, he seemed to feel it focused to much on the Lou thing. Apparently they had to push the guy to interview Murph about his contributions to Dinosaur Jr, so even if they’re not buddy buddy it seems J appreciates Murphs role in Dinosaur Jr :aliensmile:

I’ll add the link to the interview, its the magnet magazine article Rambleon put up…Magnet

ps I third that whole Green Mind never sucked, Where You Been & so on continue to kick ass to this day spiel :!:

MoNK
    Participant

I guess a full reunion is out of the question anytime soon then? :slap: .

ammaringnyc
    Participant

I think a full reunion is out but who cares, George plays better than Murph in my opinion and anybody can play the bass. I guess it would be cool for a sentimental type thing but than again I never saw them play with Lou (only on video and tapes) so I don’t miss anything. The early recordings are classic but the early shows sounded like crap. I mean it was an experience and something different and loud as hell but I think most of us would have thought they sucked and never thought twice about them if we were at some frat party or something hearing them play in 87.

FlyingCloud
    Participant

Any chance for a JLouMurph reunion… ? :? No chance, as I see it. :(
    J and Lou back onstage together at two of the Stooges Tribute shows in December last year was more than most of us dared to hope for :shock:

MoNK
    Participant

That link goes to a sick Pitch list…that’s just too many good players on stage. :shock:

MoNK
    Participant

Upon closer inspection, I noticed the name Bobby Gillespie. I am unfamiliar with this name..any relation to Dizzy?

SG
    Participant

No relation to Dizzy :wink:

FlyingCloud
    Participant

Sorry, I’ve got to admit: it’s mybe hard to get the crude facts out of the link I posted, I think we were all like [size size=18px]"…gosh !!!" [/size] :shock: about the event last December. :P

The facts were:

Ron Asheton on guitar and Scott Asheton on drums (both former Stooges members) played with bassist Mike Watt (former Minutemen, fIREHOSE) and J Mascis a handful of Stooges tribute shows last December (in Rennes/ France, in Tilbourg/ Holland, and two shows in London: Mean Fiddler & Brixton Academy).

At these tribute shows they played songs out of the first two Stooges albums. Mike Watt did a lot of the singing, but for the one or other song, there were different guest singers.
    In two shows, Lou Barlow joined them to sing "no fun".

Another guest singer was Bobby Gillespie. He’s the singer of Primal Scream & he did another guest performance at a J & the Fog gig back in summer 2001, where Bobby injured someone in the audience with his microphone stand :(

Some links:

… another FreakScene review topic about the London Stooges Tribute shows 8)
    … great press review of one of the London gigs (The Observer) :)
    … what Lou Barlow said about it on his own site (his site is: http://www.loobiecore.com )
    … more about the Bobby incident in June 2001 :evil:

King Tubby
    Participant

On the J and Murph front, I lived in Northampton between ’97 and 2000, and used to encounter J and Murph hanging out occasionally. Murph’s still a huge fan, and I used to see him at Dino shows during the last couple years of the band’s existence. I last ran into him at the Fog show at Bowery Ballroom in the fall of 2000, and he was really into it. He’s a funny guy.

There’s an old piece of graffiti on the wall of the Iron Horse club’s dressing room that reads "J Mascis loves people." J seems to have grown much more at ease over the years, and I can’t help but think his involvement with Ammarichi (sp?) has a lot to do with it. And my god is he playing brilliantly these days.

phase45
    Participant

I know those guys pretty well. Well I don’t know Lou, but all the others in the Dino Jr. and Fog camp. All I can say is, they were all so young when things started happenin’ for Dino. I mean lets face it, Dino Jr. was J’s band, period. It seems to me that Lou, being a creative and talented songwriter himself, had a hard time dealing with that fact. J obviously had a hard time dealing with Lou having to come to terms with his limited involvement in the songwriting. So Lou got booted. Seems simple to me. Lou went on to create some important music. Perhaps his Dino Jr. heartbreak was just what the doctor ordered to spark some creative juices. I think both parties got a lot more than they originally thought they would ever get from a career in music.
    As for Murph. Well, he just couldn’t hang. He got tired of the business. The band was getting too big to have a drummer that wasn’t into the game anymore.
    J and Murph are both good guys. J has defenitly grown up alot over the last few years. I’m sure if J had to do it all over again, he would have been a bit more careful as to try and not make people as hurt. But given those guys age at the time of the split, it went as smoothly as it could. Let’s face it, for us fans it just gave us more records to enjoy.

Pesto
    Participant

I know these head cases too. Murph is just over a crack binge or is he? (shhhh!!!! teen hearts are fragile!) He is out of 6 months at a Rehab and is awaiting news of doing some time in a slammer for home invasions, robbing friends etc. sorry for some reality- no this isn’t a rumor. He’s hurt a bunch of us, and is as sincere as Bush. ::)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.