Home Forums Dinosaur Related Discussions Dinosaur/J News & Discussions dinosaur jr’s neil young tribute

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #47890
    Avatar
    simon jr
    Participant

    got "the bridge" recently, the neil young tribute album with lots of alt rock heros doing covers; dinosaur jrs version of ‘lotta love’ is outstanding, anyone heard and agree/disagree? sonic youth and pixies are amongst the others but DJ clearly stand out.

    #109273
    jeremiah
    jeremiah
    Keymaster

    yep it is great :)

    here is another one they recorded but never released for that album.

    #109274
    Avatar
    simon jr
    Participant

    ace, thanks for that. its cool to hear some of your favourite artists showing respect for each other. like stephen malkmus singing live on expressway to yr skull by sonic youth. my friend also has pavement covering 1979 by the pumpkins which is kind of cool because they hate each other.

    #109275
    Avatar
    andyfest
    Participant
    "simon jr" wrote:
    pavement covering 1979 by the pumpkins which is kind of cool because they hate each other.

    I didn’t know that.

    I have the Bridge Tribute and like the Dino song a lot. I haven’t listened to the CD in ages though so I don’t remember if I like any of the other son there or not.

    #109276
    Avatar
    SG
    Participant

    Dino`s version of Lotta Love is lotta fun :)

    The Pavement/Pumpkins thing started when Malk dissed them on the song Range Life.Malk later said that he liked some of their songs but hated their ideology.

    #109277
    Avatar
    andyfest
    Participant
    "SG" wrote:
    The Pavement/Pumpkins thing started when Malk dissed them on the song Range Life.Malk later said that he liked some of their songs but hated their ideology.

    Maybe that’s why J left that part of the song out when he covered it for Peel Sessions. :wink:

    #109278
    Avatar
    mike williamson
    Participant

    I like the BEEN WAITING FOR YOU Neil Young cover better than LOTTA LOVE. Lou put it up on his website…I think he said it was from the same sessions.

    http://loobiecore.com/beenwaitingforyou.mp3″>http://loobiecore.com/beenwaitingforyou.mp3

    Mike

    #109279
    Avatar
    simon jr
    Participant

    the first time pavement were meant to play lollapalooza they got dropped as the pumpkins said they wouldnt play if pavement did.

    malkmus: "its not the music; its personal". legend.

    #109280
    Avatar
    kracked873
    Participant

    pixies cover i been waiting for you also, kim sings it, its great as well, certainly different than the dinosaur one, but great nonetheless

    #109281
    Avatar
    intodeep
    Participant

    A good freind of mine got me the bridge as a present because i’m a huge neil fan. I must admit i did not like it as much as you guys. I think i would have liked it more if J was singing and not the guy they had doing the "guest" vocals.

    The musical part of it is awesome just did not care for the vocals.

    Love the flaming lips cover of after the gold rush

    #109282
    Avatar
    stanner
    Participant
    "intodeep" wrote:
    A good freind of mine got me the bridge as a present because i’m a huge neil fan. I must admit i did not like it as much as you guys. I think i would have liked it more if J was singing and not the guy they had doing the "guest" vocals.

    i dint know that…
    who does the ‘guest vocal’?
    8)

    #109283
    Avatar
    SG
    Participant

    Artie Sinatra does the guest ‘vocals’.The same guy who sang on the Byrds cover Dino did.

    #109284
    Avatar
    andyfest
    Participant
    "SG" wrote:
    Artie Sinatra does the guest ‘vocals’.The same guy who sang on the Byrds cover Dino did.

    I always thought those sounded a lot different than most Dino stuff. Now it all makes sense.

    #109285
    Avatar
    lookitssam
    Participant
    "andyfest" wrote:
    Maybe that’s why J left that part of the song out when he covered it for Peel Sessions. :wink:

    I never knew J covered Range Life. Anyone know where I can find that?

    #109286
    Avatar
    andyfest
    Participant
    "lookitssam" wrote:
    "andyfest" wrote:
    Maybe that’s why J left that part of the song out when he covered it for Peel Sessions. :wink:

    I never knew J covered Range Life. Anyone know where I can find that?

    You can get the BBC Sessions disc used on amazon here:
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000A1LU5/qid=1118851753/sr=8-1/ref=pd_csp_1/103-0811598-7740615?v=glance&s=music&n=507846

    He covers it in a medley with a couple of other songs. I’m not sure if you can download just that song anywhere though.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.