Home Forums Dinosaur Related Discussions Dinosaur/J News & Discussions Dinosaur Jr. Records New Album “I Bet On Sky”

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 48 total)
  • Author
    empire3

Dinosaur Jr. members J Mascis, Lou Barlow and Murph discuss the process of recording their upcoming LP “I Bet On Sky”.

empire3

I wonder if the music is one of the new songs? Discuss 🙂

Obseqio
    Participant

First of all that was awesome! Its cool to hear about them making their new album and all that good stuff. Second, its nice to see J using a J Mascis Jazzmaster to record. ( I have one : )

Ofcourse, that track is on the record. At least I think so. It will probably sound just a little different once we hear it put all together. Its cool to see how they can record all this stuff and make it look and sound like you’re right there in the room. It probably doesn’t sound much like that at all if you are really standing there.

empire3

He only uses the fender J mascis jazzmaster in these promo videos and picture ops (sorry)…He didn’t record Farm with that guitar and heres the clip from the same kind of pitchfork video for Farm.

I don’t won’t to go there.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1FJ_ChQh9s

Maybe he has used it on I bet on sky but I doubt it

https://twitter.com/John_Agnello/status/194108440564596736/photo/1

Don’t get me wrong its my favourtie thing in the world and its beautiful….!

SimonM
    Participant

I’ve been playing this over and over, particularly the extended instrumental part starting around 2:00. Once again, J throws down a simple chord progression and I immediately love it. A few bars in and I’m nodding along with a smile, thinking “Yeah. He’s still doing it”. Such is the genius of J; Years and years of chord progressions that aren’t necessarily anything technically spectacular, out of the ordinary, or even that different to earlier songs, but somehow I just keep loving it and probably always will. I’m excited about this album already.

empire3

I’ve been playing this over and over, particularly the extended instrumental part starting around 2:00. Once again, J throws down a simple chord progression and I immediately love it. A few bars in and I’m nodding along with a smile, thinking “Yeah. He’s still doing it”. Such is the genius of J; Years and years of chord progressions that aren’t necessarily anything technically spectacular, out of the ordinary, or even that different to earlier songs, but somehow I just keep loving it and probably always will. I’m excited about this album already.

Really good point! I’d never thought about it like that. So many songs are based around the same chord progression yet they sound so different.
    In fact (and although I doubt he would have an answer) I always wondered how feel the pain just popped into his head – I’m shit on guitar so I brought the tab book, And I was like Capo on 10 and then WTF?

Obseqio
    Participant

It’s all in the hands friends. J Mascis has really good technique, especially timing for pull offs and hammer ons. All this and he supposedly never took a formal lesson. Its no lie that few people have hands for guitar, J is one of them. I would suggest lessons if you haven’t taken them already in order to get any good at all.

ammaringnyc
    Participant

I think J might have his own personal made in the USA model of his signature guitar

Obseqio
    Participant

No, its Japanese, but he has custom pickups made by Curtis Novak put in because the ones they come with are not traditional Jazzmaster pickups.

empire3

Cheers obseqio, cool fact

jeremiah
    jeremiah
    Keymaster
    empire3

I really enjoyed that ! – keyboards, makes me think never bought it vibe ? Cool !

Hybridge
    Participant

@Obsequio Do the made in Japan J Mascis signature Jazzmasters come with humbuckers?

I could be wrong but I seem to remember reading somewhere that he replaced his signature guitar’s stock pickups with Lollar pickups (?)

Obseqio
    Participant

Hybridge – No, traditionally Jazzmasters do not come with humbuckers, they come with a wide and flat wound single coil pickup. But the Japanese model comes with a thin tall single coil like a stratocaster, this causes the major difference in sound. It’s a lot more ice picky which is not desirable if you want you guitar to sound like a traditional Jazzmaster. Hence the reason why J had them replaced in his Fender Jazzmaster.

Funny enough, regarding humbuckers, J hates them! You will NEVER see J mascis play a guitar with a humbucker as long as he’s trying to get that feedback goodness out of a guitar. In short, he wants the hum.

Regarding Lollar pickups and J Mascis. I’m sure J has been around the block and tried various pickups manufacturers, but I know that he has settled on Curtis Novak for pickup replacements. I’ve had Curt make 0pickups for my tele and jazzmaster. For my Jazzy I told him that I want what J has and he set it right up. Real good guy and fast!

Hybridge
    Participant

Thanks for the info Obsequio. Wonder why they put a strat style pickup in the J Mascis signature model (extras lying around the factory?). Doesn’t the Lee Ranaldo signature Jazzmaster have humbuckers?

I play a 62 reissue Jazzmaster with stock pickups and a Squier Hello Kitty strat with the stock single humbucker and like them both a lot, different strokes…If I had the dollars I’d buy a J Mascis signature Jazzmaster, awesome looking guitar.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 48 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.