Home Forums Dinosaur Related Discussions Fossils dinosaur jr is NOT sad or depressing music

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author

ScreamingTree
    Participant

My friends ‘like’ Dinosaur Jr… [img]images/smiles/icon_mad.gif[/img] That’s like saying Jimi Hendrix is ‘okay’. They just don’t get it. I tell ya, kids today don’t know what good music is.

rosa
    Participant

</font><blockquote><font>quote:</font><hr><font> Wait. I just realized that I’ve tried to say something about Schopenhauer before, in what might have been the single most interesting discussion on this board ever, right here. It seems that this discussion is somewhat related to that one. </font><hr></blockquote><font>

and oddly enough, I started both threads. I don’t know why. I went back and read that one and just got mad all over again. I don’t mind so much when people disagree with me; my problem is when people misinterpret or ignore my original points. Or tell me that my opinions are just outright wrong.

I see no similarity in the topics (shortage of female dino fans / people who think J’s music is "sad"). Do us poor little uncultured chickies just not UNDERSTAND dino beause we’re not men and we can’t relate? Of course, that must be it. [img]images/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] Females don’t buy records, go to concerts, or share any of the emotions that the poor tortured men of the world do. And according to Dimpfelmoser, we don’t "define" ourselves through music as much as men do, nor do we play air guitar. Let’s face it, our only role in the music scene is that of the groupie/whore, or that of a seemingly conniving and manipulative Yoko Ono. Fuck it, I should just throw out all my records by male artists. What right have I to think I can "understand" any of them?

Everyone is going to get a little something different from any given piece of art. Equally important to consider is that, without knowing anything about my life personally, any inferrences landing outside my own original text are shots in the dark. I welcome ANYone’s opinion; else I wouldn’t have started the thread. But please don’t assume you necessarily know where I’m coming from, if I haven’t declared it myself.

I’m frustrated. I think I should’ve developed the first post a little more, if only as a preemptive measure against more misinterpretation. Oh well.

For now, I’m going to go put on some Dino, and not wallow in sadness. In fact, I might listen to it and get motivated to find a new job. I think I’m gonna take a break from the bbs for a little while, and plan my next attack. [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img]

take care,
    Rosa

p.s. Jasper, if you ever do write that paper, I’d like to read it sometime.

p.p.s. apologies to you all if I got a little carried away….it’s the "crying on the sidewalk" facet of my nature, rearing its ugly head as I sit on the brink of a breakup.
    [ 01-09-2002: Message edited by: rosa ]

FogLight
    Participant

Dinosaur Jr. is my all time favorite band BECAUSE it addresses sadness and depression. Read J’s lyrics for crying out loud. Depressing and sad music is awesome to listen to because you hear that someone else (J) feels the same way you do. J has perfected the whole "my girlfriend just dumped me" song genre.

Mattman
    Participant

In all fairness to that other thread, rosa, I think you missed the most important post… [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img]

… ala Allison:

</font><blockquote><font>quote:</font><hr><font> The one thing that definitely gets me is the same thing DFK mentioned….the groupie thing…..bite me comes to mind!!!!! Says a lot more about the mentality of the person judging female music fans than anything else but god it pisses me off. Next time you guys come across that situation, think of me and imagine joining hands and running at the guy,knocking him off his feet with a wicked double clothsline move….see him flipping over onto his back with his beverage smacking him on the head and everybody having a huge laugh at his expense…works for me, makes me laugh every time. Have learned thru experience there is no use trying to explain things to the cretinous humanoids that express that ridiculous idea, a lot more fun to play the above cartoon in my head…but hey thats just me. </font><hr></blockquote><font>

Not only does that provide me with some very comedic and satisfying imagery, but I also couldn’t have put it better myself. [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img] [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]images/smiles/icon_razz.gif[/img]

AGAP
    Participant

Foglight I think we all agree the content of J’s songs is sad at times. But for me the fact that J can put what he’s feeling into the lyrics and use the music as a way thru it provides me with that hopeful/optimistic feeling after listening to it. I agree with DFK his new stuff definitely seems more positive lyrically.

Mattman I gotta say I have had to utilize that little cartoon waaay to many times…it gets kinda bloody sometimes [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img] [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Allison

SG
    Participant

I find that with the female artists I like are not liked by other males so I know how you feel Rosa.I think catorizing music as guy stuff or girl stuff is stupid,reminds me of the old idea that Batman and Superman comics are for boys and Wonder Woman comics are for girls.If I like the Wonder Woman comic for the story and art how is this only for girls?Music is the same,I like it to hear good lyrics,good melody,etc. whether it`s a female or male artist what`s the difference?
    One of the radio shows I used to listen to hosted by two guys played very little female artists,for the show hosted by two women,very little male artists were played.

Randy Jane
    Participant

no, well, everytime i get sad, I like to listen to Alone over and over…..i listen to it a lot [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Sasha
    Participant

I dont know, I think depending on MY mood at the time it effects how I feel the music’s mood is. Bipolar maybe I dont know. :lol:

DripsDownLikeGravy
    Participant

Freak Scene is the happiest song ever. Who says the Dino are depressing?

Seamus_Slattery
    Participant

Well I honestly always thought that when people said music could “move” them or change their mood that they were full of shit until i got into these guys. They are the only band (J in particular) that get me back into my favorite state of mind.

kerbdogma
    Blocked

i don’t know if i can stand another album from this band if it sounds like several shades of why. I always thought J is the best guitarist so i should probably listen.

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.