Home › Forums › Dinosaur Related Discussions › Dinosaur/J News & Discussions › Dino Jr Back From Extinction:Tampa Tribune June 29 ’05
- This topic has 1 reply, 2 voices, and was last updated 17 years, 11 months ago by Slope1988.
July 11, 2005 at 3:37 pm #48154
Brief Murph interview…
Dinosaur Jr. Back From Extinction
By Curtis Ross of The Tampa Tribune
Published: June 29, 2005
The recent announcement that Roger Waters would rejoin Pink Floyd for the upcoming Live 8 charity concerts likely shocked everyone except Dinosaur Jr. fans.
They know if that famously fractious Ã¢â‚¬â„¢80s trio can reunite, anything is possible.
Waters and his former Pink Floyd band mates have had little good to say about each other since WatersÃ¢â‚¬â„¢ departure in 1983. Dinosaur Jr.Ã¢â‚¬â„¢s J. Mascis and Lou Barlow never had much to say at all.
The worst of it, drummer Patrick Ã¢â‚¬Å“MurphÃ¢â‚¬? Murphy says by telephone from the bandÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s home base of Amherst, Mass., was Ã¢â‚¬Å“driving six or eight hours with no one talking.Ã¢â‚¬?
Murph wound up being Ã¢â‚¬Å“the mediator, the point guy for them to communicate with each other. It frazzled me.Ã¢â‚¬?
The passive-aggressive tension occasionally spilled over into onstage violence before Barlow was ousted from the band in 1989.
Mascis, who dominated the band creatively, continued Dinosaur Jr. even after Murph left following a stint on Lollapalooza in 1993.
Mascis dropped the name in 1997, recording afterward as J. Mascis and the Fog.
Barlow recorded with a number of outfits, including Sebadoh and The Folk Implosion. Murph joined The Lemonheads and did studio work. A reunion seemed the least likely of possibilities.
So Murph, understandably, was Ã¢â‚¬Å“pretty blown awayÃ¢â‚¬? when he got the call from Mascis proposing an original-lineup tour.
Murph says he doesnÃ¢â‚¬â„¢t know who initiated the idea but knows it couldnÃ¢â‚¬â„¢t have happened if Mascis hadnÃ¢â‚¬â„¢t wanted it.
Ã¢â‚¬Å“J had always talked about re-releasing the first three records when he got control back,Ã¢â‚¬? Murph says.
Those albums Ã¢â‚¬â€July 11, 2005 at 7:05 pm #110873
Hopefully they can survive the tour and continue on with some more material. First things first.
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
- Click to email a link to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)