Home Forums Dinosaur Related Discussions Live reviews / meetups Des Moines 80/35 festival July 6, 2012

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    marcoco
    Participant

This was their first time playing in Iowa in 17 years, to my knowledge. I saw them in Iowa City at the Union Bar in ’97. The first thing to know was that it was brutally, swelteringly hot. Roughly 95 deg with about 90% humidity, One of the more entertaining parts of their show was Lou cursing the sun, begging for it to go away (the stage faced west, they were being beaten by the sun as their set started at 7pm…). At one point, Lou was actually laying down on the stage playing, trying to not succumb to heat stroke. Anyway, they all made it, and it was a big crowd. The set list was fine, lots of Bug tunes played and Gargoyle (with a really extended solo) made the list, too. Opened with Thumb, and as someone posted previously, it was a rough start. Murph broke before J was ready for the first solo, and J had much fiddling to do with his gear/pedals during the opener as well. Back to Your Heart made the set, but sounded pretty rough, couldn’t really hear Lou’s vocals. The rest of the show was quite good, however. I was a bit disappointed to not hear “I don’t wanna go there”, my personal favorite off of Farm- but nothing from Farm made it. They did play “Out There”, which surprised me. Overall, a good show and fantastic to see them in Iowa (of all places…). There are some good photos posted on 80/35’s website, here’s the link: http://80-35.com/ (You can search by day, they played on Friday, or just thumb through them…) J was sporting some shades and a cool Brian Jonestown Massacre t-shirt. I cannot overstate how ridiculously hot and humid it was… It will be a lot nicer this fall in October when they’re in the area again (Omaha, MPLS, and Madison- I’ll be heading to Madison to see them…).

marcoco
    Participant

Um, make that 15 years… oops.

Obseqio
    Participant

http://freesofree.net/tour.php This link shows every tour date they’ve ever done. From the time you saw them in 1997, they did not tour Iowa until December 11, 2007 when they played at the Picador in Iowa City, but they haven’t been back since you saw them on the 6th.

Glad you got to see them, just wish you had better weather. They need to make it out to Iowa more!

Annastefka
    Participant

Thank You Marcoco for taking the time to give us your review. 🙂
    When you say “Murph broke before J was ready for his first solo” Is “breaking” a musical term? I’m sure it doesn’t mean that he “broke”…like his hand fell off. Does that mean he had a breakdown? Was he cursing the Sun and laying down on the floor? (just kidding) but I do want to know what does “Murph broke” mean..does it mean he stopped playing?

marcoco
    Participant

I’ll try to clarify my muddled thoughts on this show… thanks for correcting my error on the tour dates, Obseqio. Iowa’s a fine place to live, but it’s not exactly a musical hotbed. Some shows in Iowa City, very rarely some in Des Moines, and that’s about it. I usually end up catching good shows in MPLS, Madison (WI), or traveling to Omaha. No knock on the band at all, there usually just aren’t good opportunities to play in Iowa, so this was a treat, for sure.
    Regarding the drumming on “Thumb”, I’m not a drummer, so I apologize for the confusing verbiage. Murph stopped playing before J was ready for his solo on Thumb… no arms or hands fell off, no break dancing, he just stopped too soon, and J just kind of played along without drums until he hit the opening notes of the song that start the longer solo… did that confuse the issue more? Anyway, I love Thumb, even if it was a bit rough as they are tuning up for the fall. Those two songs aside (and the ridiculous heat), I thought it was a solid show.
    If anyone will be going to the Omaha show, the Waiting Room would be a great place to “feel” the music, pretty small place, so it would be intimate and really, really loud. The Majestic Theater (Madison) is an old opera house with balconies upstairs, it’s a cool vibe. Can’t wait to see them there again, I caught them at the Majestic supporting Farm.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.