Home Forums Dinosaur Related Discussions Dinosaur/J News & Discussions Dead Confederate excited to be on their way

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Annastefka
    Participant

to Europe to play some shows with J Mascis…..according to a piece that they posted today.
    I bet…………..I would be also. Dead Confederate opened here for the Meat Puppets a few weeks ago, and I thought…it was going to be a good time for me to do some analysis of the possible reason that their percussions unnerved me so much the last time I saw them. I did…..

I know very little about drums….but I love to listen to music and watch live music so I have some insight.

1) Unless you are playing in an amphitheater or behind J Mascis….I believe your overheads will pick up the sound of your cymbals….especially when you got it hanging up so high in the air. Cymbals are like salt to me..a little is good..too much and it kills the dish.

2) If you feel like you need to mike your crash…then a good two feet away should do the trick…7 inches away and people like me get real nervous.

3) Why you gotta be "riding" your crash cymbal all night long like that…..It makes me think you don’t you have any other tricks up your sleeve? Floor toms and some fancy kick drum work..(in addition to your high hat and snare)..add a sound that "rocks the house" and then you can save your cymbal for accent marks and for building up excitement…like when you are "bringing a song home"

4) When you have your cymbals set way up high like that, it’s difficult to hit them on the "bell" which is the sweet spot. You can damage your poor cymbals by hitting them on the side like that…and I could see the drummer for Dead Confederate…his cymbals were chipped and cracked. Perhaps he can make a little money to replace them on this tour and then lower them…closer to him…so he can get a good knock on the bell.

5) I remember a few years ago…I saw all the kids with their britches hanging down and their underwear sticking out..and I was thinking WTF? Now a days, you see drummers riding their crash and crashing their ride….I don’t know….I guess I’m too old to understand this…it bothers me to no end…and it sounds like crap…but then again….I could just be set in my way for what sounds good to my ear.

6) I’ve been watching another drummer (on youtube videos) who likes to "ride" his crash….a little too much for my taste and his name is J Mascis. Tell a Sag you don’t like something they do, and it’s a sure bet "they be doing it" twice as much the next day.

7) Murph is a pretty good drummer and he is just getting better and better as this tour has gone forward.

that’s my seven cents for today.

trensidoh
    Participant

1.) Overheads are supposed to pick up the cymbals – that’s why they’re there in the first place
    2.) Close-miking is better than miking something from far away – if you mike something close it’s a lot easier to "manage" the sound of an instrument from the mixing-board.
    3.) Riding on a crash is fun ! Kickdrums and floor toms are cock-rock !
    4.) See 3.) ! Hitting the bell is totally ROCK ! It’s "ACDC" ! It’s forbidden !!!!

(OK. So, now I have to mention that I’m a drummer myself… my bands "chief-songwriter" recently "made" me play the bell of my ride (which I hate to do, honestly) and what happened ? There’s a small crack in my ride’s bell now ! Sheet – we’re talking a 300 USD Paiste ride cymbal here….)

5.) MURPH ! And that’s why he is my ultimate drum hero ! (He sure knows how to crash a ride cymbal and at the same time he actually SURFS on it ! :-)

6.) Exactly ! I’m a Sag myself ! Hah !

OK. Back to watching birds in the yard with my 1 year old daughter – the place is crowded with pigeons and crows at the moment….

Annastefka
    Participant

What is "cock rock"? I have no idea, but I have a feeling I like it!!!!!!

I don’t know what it is about a cymbal but that much " loud tingy metal" it slays me.

"trensidoh" wrote:
    Sheet – we’re talking a 300 USD Paiste ride cymbal here….)

I think those come with a life time guarantee…don’t they?

Oh, when I saw Dead Confederate open for Dinosaur Jr…I was freaking out in my mind…the cymbals were miked to high or something…it was actually hurting….not hurting my ears but hurting something else..like right in the area of my heart chakra, perhaps hurting my feelings, I don’t know.

I wanted to be the percussion police….snatch those cymbals away and make him listen to only Led Zeppelin IV for about one month straight…for penance…and then I would return the cymbals.

I don’t mind…bass guitar or a big old bass drum up my ass …but I don’t want cymbals up my ass all night long…it hurts.

I was turned on to a cool place on youtube called ifilmbands….y’all should check it out.

here, for instance is a show I was at…I can relive my cymbal crashing nightmare over and over again. I just picked this song randomly BTW…the cymbal is the same in most all of them. http://www.youtube.com/user/ifilmbands#p/u/58/hm6-WmMYAUU”>http://www.youtube.com/user/ifilmbands# … m6-WmMYAUU
    lots of other cool bands to check out.
    My husband brought home a "rock cock" from Colombia for me, I put it in our fish tank..as decor.
    I really do understand this cymbal problem I am having is just a matter of taste.
    Good taste over schlock….(just kidding, sort of) :wink:
    Oh, great video of meat puppets backwater…sorry no caps ….i’m in the middle of cooking and in a hurry….the drummer for dead confederate is there on stage after the percussion police has taken his cymbals away and see he can carry a beat just fine without them. http://www.youtube.com/user/ifilmbands#p/search/11/Z2Xab2gCuUc”>http://www.youtube.com/user/ifilmbands# … 2Xab2gCuUc

Annastefka
    Participant

I picked another random song from Dead Confederate…not their "hit" which seems to be more formula when it comes to the drums.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ifilmbands#p/search/9/3-6prfWAMnE”>http://www.youtube.com/user/ifilmbands# … -6prfWAMnE

this is a completely different song from the one I posted above, and also picked randomly…when I listen to it….and those cymbals start up again…I’m like…"ARE YOU KIDDING ME?" for real….COME ON….

my idea of what it is…is…drummers think they can raise the intensity of a song by banging the hell out of the cymbals from the beginning to end of a song. Sort of fool the audience into thinking…Damn this song is F*cking intense..it doesn’t reach a crescendo, it’s so hot it, it f*cking blazes all the way through.. but I’ve been around the block a few times and I’m just not that easily fooled.

and poor John Bonham, I feel you brother, I’ve also had to live behind a Leo for many years, so I understand how one could feel compelled to off themselves even if apparently unintentionally. Blessed Gemini Soul, you were, life can be so hard for such kind and loving folks, and the world full of idiots, Well, as difficult as life gets ….we should just hang in ’cause it wont be long before we all take the big journey into the great unknown. My God, if I should die, suddenly and unintentionally, I do hope someone in my family will come to Freakscene and let everyone know I died, otherwise, y’all might think I just lost interest in all things related to J Mascis and that would be a shame. Although, no one would have to plow through my ri-f*cking-diculous posts anymore..that would probably be a relief for some. I came up with the word ri-f*ucking-diculous to describe my goats abilities to escape their fencing and my husbands demands, I hope everyone starts using it everyday like I do! Well, I think I’m done now….I had to edit…I wasn’t done…I didn’t want anyone to think I was down or my marriage in trouble…I’m pretty good and sitting right here next to my husband…explaining things to him…like who his friends are and such…..men have such trouble understanding friendship….us girls have to explain it to them and let them know what it is and how to do it.

tom_in_chicago
    Participant

the drummer of my favorite bands of the 90s, Bedhead, used to ride his cymbals for entire songs, usually barely touching his high-hat. He did it with a subtlety that I’ve never seen replicated. Too bad there are no live clips on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgJPy-KeSMs zgJPy-KeSMs

Oh, and Murph has been totally hitting the bell of his cymbals on the last couple tours. Personally, I’m not a fan.

Annastefka
    Participant
    "tom_in_chicago" wrote:
    He did it with a subtlety that I’ve never seen replicated.

Thanks Tom, my daughter really liked that song…we all enjoyed it.

Subtlety…that’s the key…I pulled out Free so Free a few weeks ago to listen to….great songs, each one of them and there are some heavy cymbals in some of those songs (set us free)….but they are mixed in so nice and soft….doesn’t hurt. Then I thought to myself….I’ve got a recording of the Schools/Spence Fog recording from the 40 Watt…so I thought, I’m going to listen to this again and see how Kyle deals with some of that heavy cymbal stuff…and I was surprised by how much it was okay to my ears but I think it’s because …. no,lets see, how can I describe it….I think Kyle doesn’t hit them as hard or either they are not miked the same ……because they blend in well with the rest of the drum sounds. Also..hey, a high-hat aint nothin’ but a little (or big in some cases) cymbal in the first place, when you understand how to use it.

I don’t know….but this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCrZgqdZ4Jw&feature=PlayList&p=37119CA3F768B2A9&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=3 kCrZgqdZ … PL&index=3 is what I want from drums…the cymbal is not being ignored…but it’s not being used as some crutch to "ride" on because interesting little fills that require understanding and subtlety are beyond (he,he) your grasp…Kyle Spence can play the drums, he’s not playing the cymbals, you know what I mean….Geez, I don’t have the words or understanding of it exactly but….man, if you break up a song into 4’s, ….no, no wait, I’m grasping for the words but I can’t describe exactly what I’m trying to say…but since I was on the Led Zeppelin IV for penance earlier…listen to a song like Misty Mountain Hop (Okay, I know, never my favorite song either until I started listening to the drums) in my best black girl voice I’m constantly saying, when listening to the drums on that song "Oh, no he di-ent" …that’s the best I can do. I love the studio recording of Misty Mountain Hop…cause that’s the same damn recording of the same damn cymbal hit…coming in on the 1 and sometimes the 16 each time….but….damn, it sounds so good. I tell my kids…that’s back before they had computers man, that stuff was being thrown down from 1 inch tape and 1/2 inch tape and 1/4 inch tape and glued together with scotch tape (he,he)

(came back here Sunday morning cause my friend Dan read my post and said WTF are you talking about…that was 2 inch tape…2 inch tape, who knew, I’ve never seen any sort of recording tape that was two inches wide, how could you even get something that big to run on reels at the correct speed, I was just guessing, I really don’t know exactly how recording was done for music in the ’70’s,..only vaguely (I bet most of the guys here do, cause that’s like something that people who are into music would know) I only know film soundtrack recording, and I was just guessing that it was sort of done the same way, that four 1/4 inch tape tracks would make up an inch, and then he tried to explain 24 track recording to me…. but I had so much going on that I couldn’t focus on what he was saying, he suggested that I take some time out of my life and read about The Beatles and how they were recorded……Dan told me I would be interested in it..how progressive it was… Okay,I’ll try and fit that into my life.)

I just want to say I’m really excited for the Athens guys (all the guys all 6…8…I don’t know how many of them) are gonna be hanging with J real soon. How cool is that for us here in Athens..I don’t mean to come down so hard on the sweet drummer for Dead Confederate, he can carry a beat and that’s more than I can do, he just needs a little SKOOLIN’……I trust he will grow into his drums someday….I was a little jealous that the whole Fog thing was being done in Europe, but I understand why…it puts J there for holidays….makes sense but the fact that he has a whole bunch of Athens behind him…WOW. I swear, I have been praying for years and also doing some long distance Reiki and I see now the fruits of my labor…I’m not kidding…I really think it helped. 15 or 16 years ago, I was setting the intention. (Oh, I dreamed my refrigerator told me J has a daughter on the way…that was a weird dream…a talking fridge..but thats for another post) and I see now, instead of coming to Athens…Athens sort of went the other way…Oh, well that works for me. No, I’m not crazy…..I’m just trying to be stupid funny….I have a friend over and we are both laughing to the point of almost wetting our pants over "my intentions" so take them as you will. I have to add ..about J and his bulldog love.(Athens icon, you know) ..ummm, I "babysat" a bulldog several months ago..in my house (it was a foster situation) and he lived with us for about three weeks….I had never spent anytime around a bulldog….I’m sort of into intelligent dogs, but this little thing, climbed onto the furniture like each piece was his own personal bed and farted all the time and SNORED…and made other sort of raspy noises all during his sleep..and drooled all over everything. I called my animal friend and said…"I can’t, you know, do this anymore" and she was like..perfect timing we found a home for him in Texas..of all places.

Oh, Kyle is a Gemini also……

Okay, I wasted time here and now must pick up my kids from the movies.

best youtube video for explaining how long distance reiki/prayer/intentions/magik work…..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=by-7kkAu2Pg by-7kkAu2Pg ……. inertia "things like to stay where they are"….."cause they’re lazy" too cute and funny and the best for explaining physics to small ones.

essgee09
    Participant
    "tom_in_chicago" wrote:
    the drummer of my favorite bands of the 90s, Bedhead, used to ride his cymbals for entire songs, usually barely touching his high-hat. He did it with a subtlety that I’ve never seen replicated. Too bad there are no live clips on youtube.

Oh, and Murph has been totally hitting the bell of his cymbals on the last couple tours. Personally, I’m not a fan.

Is that the guy who`s Trini Lopez`s nephew?Bedhead were a great band I agree

Annastefka
    Participant

SG, I thought you were going to throw in your 7 cents towards inertia..the first rule of physics…things like to stay where they are…come on SG, I know that’s something we all can relate too, especially you…oh, well…..perhaps next time.

I’m always thinking of things to add to my posts, while driving or whatever….I was sitting in church this morning and thinking…..when I say "Oh, no he di-ent" while listening to Misty Mountain Hop….it’s not because the drum work is smoking hot…or super complex, it’s not that….it’s just…..the drums have a mercurial algorithm….that’s special. I had to rush out the door this AM when I posted earlier and I was sitting with everyone else, listening to this very cool visiting minister from Uganda. He was saying some really meaningful stuff…but in my head…I was hearing…."I know that it’s all a state of mind"….and then those cool little drum rifts that come after that and then that’s when I realized oh, it’s sort of a "’mercurial algorithm" ….and then I felt satisfied that I had gotten a lot out of church …but I always do! :D

tom_in_chicago
    Participant
    "essgee09" wrote:
    "tom_in_chicago" wrote:

Is that the guy who`s Trini Lopez`s nephew?Bedhead were a great band I agree

the drummer’s name was Trini Martinez … dunno of any relations. There were some weird names in that band … Bubba, Trini, Tench

essgee09
    Participant
    "tom_in_chicago" wrote:
    the drummer’s name was Trini Martinez … dunno of any relations. There were some weird names in that band … Bubba, Trini, Tench

That`s the guy.His uncle Trini Lopez was a musician in the `60s:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SCt8JPAkgU 7SCt8JPAkgU

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.