Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    King Tubby
    Participant

It’s up!

http://www.daytrotter.com/dt/dinosaur-j … -1849.html

Why oh why do they hardly ever play Severed Lips……..yet have it together enough to record for the session?

jeremiah
    jeremiah
    Keymaster

Those are great!

I love how they do illustrations for every artist they have in there.

Robert
    Participant

Those are great ! :D

weezerfreak942
    Participant

the drums theyre using in the session sound funny. the toms are a bit too poppy.

tonas
    "King Tubby" wrote:
    It’s up!

http://www.daytrotter.com/dt/dinosaur-jr-ears-still-bleed-in-the-nosebleed-section-concert/20030704-1849.html”>http://www.daytrotter.com/dt/dinosaur-j … -1849.html

Why oh why do they hardly ever play Severed Lips……..yet have it together enough to record for the session?

I know, I’m still waiting to hear the Leper live. That would have been a nice one to record at Daytrotter too.

andyfest
    Participant

The recording of Crumble sounds surprisingly bad… The other three songs sound great, though so I’ll take it!

CrookedRain
    Participant

Severed Lips sounds awesome. I really wish they would play it live.

Annastefka
    Participant
    "CrookedRain" wrote:
    Severed Lips sounds awesome. I really wish they would play it live.

They tried that in Athens….60 seconds into it, it brought back the same sort of little "mini panic attacks" I used to have when my children were doing piano recitals when they were young. I would sort of place my head inside my arm, resting on the chair in front of me and say over and over "lord hear my prayer," It’s the same technique that I use for airplane take-offs these days.

That said…it is a rather difficult song to do………the timing, the singing off the beat….sounds pretty good in this recording…lyrically speaking…it’s an unusual song.

trensidoh
    Participant

IMHO, the Athens version was the best they did in years ! That song HAS to be played ragged & loose, just like the way they did it in the early days. I saw them doing it last year, and it was totally straight and almost boring. It needs to be played VERY slow – that way the guitar solo will totally explode. It just has to sound "broken".

Annastefka
    Participant
    "trensidoh" wrote:
    IMHO, the Athens version was the best they did in years ! That song HAS to be played ragged & loose, just like the way they did it in the early days. It needs to be played VERY slow – that way the guitar solo will totally explode. It just has to sound "broken".

Funny, the slow, of course…..that’s the song….the ragged, I’m okay with…….something happened inside the loose that again, imho…had everything to do with a timing thing going on between J and Murph, It was a sort of "Who’s following Who deal"…with J sort of saying (muscially) to Murph….you go ahead….I’m following you, and Murph was like…No, no, you first, I’m following your lead….and J, it seemed to me,was sort of like just hold the beat, and Murph was like…..Fudge Cakes….I don’t know what’s going on here… it was a bit of a struggle, but like I say, it’s a hard song….the guitar, the lyrics and the beat…move in different directions and then meet up at important upward leaning junctures, I think it is one of the weirdest Dinosaur Jr. songs and I like it for that reason, it just was not doing it for me that night. The timing thing was causing some sort of internal distress for me.

Yeah Right
    Participant
    "King Tubby" wrote:
    It’s up!

http://www.daytrotter.com/dt/dinosaur-jr-ears-still-bleed-in-the-nosebleed-section-concert/20030704-1849.html”>http://www.daytrotter.com/dt/dinosaur-j … -1849.html

Hearing Lips on here was ace, still haven’t heard it live though… I think it was Glasgow ABC in 2005, there were a few people screaming for it. Sounded painful. Maybe they’ll hear the sesh and be stoaked.

alosaur
    Participant

The best version of Severed Lips I have heard recorded was from Freakin Live in 93. Around that time I saw him play it with a wireless mic and he walked around like a crooner singing it like Frank Sinatra or something and then at the hard part he banged the mic into the guitar strings, dun,dun,dun,dun. It was the most expressive and open I have seen J be vocally. He had his blue jacvket and cowboy hat on. The show was probably the best I have ever seen. His eyes were glowing purple like he was possessed and there were 13 glasses of whiskey on the stage. At the first reunion show I got them to play it but lou broke a strong and it kinda fizzeled out.

Annastefka
    Participant

Please forgive the post here but it is a bit relevant for this thread…

A youtube Severed Lips….only two weeks old. I’ve seen lots of video on youtube from this same night but this posting is new. Starts off with a smiling J. Looking happy and relaxed not sad or angry…like he has mentioned feeling in interviews that I have read here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmldJoNWRY8 qmldJoNWRY8

the video post is only two weeks old….yes, I know it’s old…like a decade or so ago. God Bless who ever shot video that night….every song is great….and it looks hand held…with two cameras…..good job whoever you are.

did some fast poking around and found another older copy on youtube but the quality is NOT good. This is from over at Anthony’s house (site) damn, I always forget to go by Anthony’s for a visit. Always busy need to make time.

jeason23
    Participant

god the drums sound like shit… do you need a drum tech Murph? Im available and cheap! :mrgreen:

weezerfreak942
    Participant
    "jeason23" wrote:
    god the drums sound like shit… do you need a drum tech Murph? Im available and cheap! :mrgreen:

right, i think they just used whatever was on site or something

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.