Home Forums General Discussions Open Topic Cool Story

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    tonas

During the past year I have been playing with some old high school friends in a band called The Dignitaries (a 60’s style garage rock band). This started out as just us getting together twice a month to drink beer, hang out and play guitars. Instead of a poker night with the boys we would get together and jam. After about 7 months we had enough songs to play a show so we decided to book one.

Once the show was booked we put the word out to friends and family and word spread like wild fire. We got press in the local music newspaper and a buzz was created instantly. I’m still not quite sure how or why this happened but it did. We played the show to a packed room and we killed it. Following our first show we got more press and the buzz kept growing. And so did the list of offers to play shows.

This quickly went form just some old friends hanging out and having fun, to a full on band in an instant. Because of this I was forced to take a back seat and go on hiatus from the band due to previous time commitments I made. Hopefully next June or July I will be able to jump back into the fold.

Which brings me to last night. The Dignitaries played their first show without me. I went to watch and lend support but did not play with the guys. Little did we know that (Legendary Tacoma Band) Girl Trouble was going to come watch us. I believe Niko Case used to play with them at one point. Anyway they loved the show and are anxious about playing a show(s) with us. Afterward they came up to us and knew who we were. We talked about music, playing in bands, and our hometown of Tacoma. It was really kind of surreal.

Never in our wildest dreams did we think things would have taken off like they have. (In a way I’m reminded of when Sonic Youth took Dinosaur under their wing, could this be the same type of thing?) For me its just bad timing, but its cool to think about the possibilities when I get back to playing with the guys. I’m still stoked about the whole Girl Trouble thing last night and thought I would share it.

girl
    Participant

Oh my, Tonas! *jumping up and down hugs* That story went beyong cool and into extreme awesomeness!

essgee09
    Participant

I believe Neko played with them at some point but maybe I got mixed up with another band,maybe you can ask them about that :)
    Best of luck with the band 8)

built_to_spill
    Participant

Very cool story, tonas 8)

tonas

Thanks guys, kinda crazy huh?

tom
    Participant

Great to hear. Good luck Tonas!

andyeeflacure
    Participant

Thanks for this wonderful Story. Really enjoyed your thread. Appreciate people taking the time to write quality work..

tonas

So this Saturday, The Dignitaries are playing with Girl Trouble at their annual Christmas party at a nice club downtown. I am still on hiatus from the group, so I’ll just be watching, which totally sucks. Also 3 different local music papers have scheduled interviews with the band before the show on Saturday. Man I never thought it would take off like it has, though I’m super stoked for my friends, I’m am totally bummed out that I’m not currently able to join them. :(

girl
    Participant

Tonas, that sucks. Sometimes I really hate being a grown-up. So when will you be able to join them and become big and famous so I can say "I knew that guy way back when" ?

essgee09
    Participant

Hey Tonas,How`d the Kiss concert go?You did`nt say anything about it

Robert
    Participant

Hey tonas, I saw your grandfathers in stockholm last friday, boy did they rock ! They tie with dino for best show in ’09 in my book. That’s the book of love. And hot sauce. The book of love, hot sauce and occasionally the fine art of stumbling.

tonas

When my wife is done with night school I get to rejoin the band which we’re hoping will be this coming spring. *fingers crossed* She stayed home with the kids while I earned my degree at night, so now its my turn to do the same for her. I promised her I would and I intend to keep the promise though it kinda sucks for me.

SG, KISS ruled! I took my wife (who doesn’t like them one bit) and by the end of the show she had a smile from ear to ear. Now she knows whyI fell in love with KISS. They played a pretty good set, and played for 2 hours. Their shows are so over the top with fireworks, video, and volume it was a nice get away. I had a cold and wasn’t feeling very well, but that didn’t stop me from singing every word of every song they played. I got a tour book and saved some confetti (from when they play Rock & Roll All Night). I had a great time even if it wasn’t the real Ace or Peter.

Sweet Robert! That sounds awesome. :wink:

Robert
    Participant

Yeah, The Sonics were way better than I expected. I mean, the records are fantastic and I love them, but they gotta be around seventy years old now, so I didn’t expect then to kick ass as hard as they did.
    The Nomads were the opening act, and they are as good as ever. Probably the best garage/rocknroll band from Sweden ever. And it didn’t hurt when Pelle and the rest of the guys from the Hives joined the Sonics on stage for the last 5 songs.

Your wife smiled when the show was over because
    she loves you and enjoyed seeing you happy
    she was relieved that she had survived.

I like that you’re staying home so that she can study at nightschool. Good boy.

tonas
    "Robert" wrote:
    I like that you’re staying home so that she can study at nightschool. Good boy.

The things we do for love. Even if it means making ourselves unhappy in the process….. :?

essgee09
    Participant
    "tonas" wrote:
    When my wife is done with night school I get to rejoin the band which we’re hoping will be this coming spring. *fingers crossed* She stayed home with the kids while I earned my degree at night, so now its my turn to do the same for her. I promised her I would and I intend to keep the promise though it kinda sucks for me.

SG, KISS ruled! I took my wife (who doesn’t like them one bit) and by the end of the show she had a smile from ear to ear. Now she knows whyI fell in love with KISS. They played a pretty good set, and played for 2 hours. Their shows are so over the top with fireworks, video, and volume it was a nice get away. I had a cold and wasn’t feeling very well, but that didn’t stop me from singing every word of every song they played. I got a tour book and saved some confetti (from when they play Rock & Roll All Night). I had a great time even if it wasn’t the real Ace or Peter.

Sweet Robert! That sounds awesome. :wink:

Glad to hear everything worked out :)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.