Home Forums General Discussions Open Topic Collage Textbooks, Aaaaarrrrrggggghhhhh!!!!!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

malcom
    Participant

Or $210, RIP

Yep, got to buy me books Yesterday. Starting next monday, feels funny to be going from Senior to Freshman in a mere three months. But yesterday I put on an appropriately befuddled look (very little acting there) and went up to LC3 to see where the hell I’m supposed to be going.

Apparently I did a good job looking cornfused because I had barely gone fifteen feet into the building before Some teacher-looking fellow asked If I would be needing any help. [img]images/smiles/converted/tongue.gif[/img]

"Yep, where do I go to get questions answered"

anyway, so I finally find the Campus Bookstore. For some reason, community collages aren’t too hot on putting signs. I’m told by some lady standing by the door (apparently just for that purpose) to go into the back where friendly people tell you what books to purchase.

I get my books by some clerk who obviously thought I was intellegent to know what books I needed for Math 412 and History of Western Civilizations 315 (If it isn’t written in large letters on the cover, I’m afraid to pick it up)
    Get Checked out, Find my classrooms, those that weren’t being remodeled or in buildings under construction, and head home to discover that I’d just spent $70 on a used Textbook!

Maybe I’ve been to too many library booksales, but for some reason $70 for a book that somebody else has read, doodled in, drooled upon, and god knows what else- seems a little absurd to me. I don’t think any New book is worth seventy dollars by itself, much less one that has already had some of its words worn out.

everyonelovesjaron
    Participant

<BLOCKQUOTE><font>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MaLCoM ReMeMbErs ThE DaY:
    <STRONG>Or $210, RIP

</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I’ve had worse… [img]images/smiles/converted/eek.gif[/img] [img]images/smiles/converted/frown.gif[/img] [img]images/smiles/converted/eek.gif[/img] [img]images/smiles/converted/frown.gif[/img]

Halfman
    Participant

Our school rips off students with admirable consistency. For $54.95 no money back guarantee, this too, can be yours! [img]images/smiles/converted/pissed.gif[/img] Try to keep in mind though, no matter what those keepers of our best interest believe they are accomplishing, we have something they can never get back again: time. Not to mention if you keep the dang books you can always go back to them later, as many courses crossrelate. Besides, who can remember verbatim the mass amount of material the profs throw out there. Read study and apply and all gets done in the wash [img]images/smiles/converted/tongue.gif[/img]!

<FONT>[ August 16, 2001 12:00 AM: Message mutated 1 time, lastly by Halfman ]</font>

Mattman
    Participant

Welcome to college life… [img]images/smiles/converted/rolleyes.gif[/img]

I start back on the 27th…

LAST SEMESTER BABY!!! [img]images/smiles/converted/jump.gif[/img]

…Then off to the real world…

[img]images/smiles/converted/cheers.gif[/img] [img]images/smiles/converted/rock_band.gif[/img] [img]images/smiles/converted/smiley_on_tredmil.gif[/img]

antipop
    Participant

<BLOCKQUOTE><font>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mattman:
    <STRONG>Welcome to college life… [img]images/smiles/converted/rolleyes.gif[/img]

I start back on the 27th…

LAST SEMESTER BABY!!! [img]images/smiles/converted/jump.gif[/img]

…Then off to the real world…

[img]images/smiles/converted/cheers.gif[/img] [img]images/smiles/converted/rock_band.gif[/img] [img]images/smiles/converted/smiley_on_tredmil.gif[/img]</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What do u call the real world? [img]images/smiles/converted/frown.gif[/img]
    Stay at school, Stay at school, Stay at school.
    Theres nothing real about going to work every fucken day and paying depressing bills. [img]images/smiles/converted/wink.gif[/img] I would rather stay where the KEGS are [img]images/smiles/converted/cheers.gif[/img] and bongs [img]images/smiles/converted/bongsmi.gif[/img] and Kinky SEX [img]images/smiles/converted/whipa.gif[/img] bud.
    later trav

everyonelovesjaron
    Participant

<BLOCKQUOTE><font>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AntiPOP:
    <STRONG>

I would rather stay where the KEGS are [img]images/smiles/converted/cheers.gif[/img] and bongs [img]images/smiles/converted/bongsmi.gif[/img] and Kinky SEX [img]images/smiles/converted/whipa.gif[/img] bud.
    later trav</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I remember kegs… and once or twice bongs… but there was no kinky sex… damn junior college… I knew I wasn’t getting a full edumacation. [img]images/smiles/converted/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]images/smiles/converted/wink.gif[/img]

malcom
    Participant

<BLOCKQUOTE><font>quote:</font><HR> I would rather stay where the KEGS are and bongs and Kinky SEX bud.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sadly, I’m living at home, no bongs or kinky sex there.

But I’m better off than this one poor chap at work, going off to collage without ever having seen ANIMAL HOUSE, makes me want to cry. [img]images/smiles/converted/frown.gif[/img]

everyonelovesjaron
    Participant

<BLOCKQUOTE><font>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MaLCoM ReMeMbErs ThE DaY:
    <STRONG>

But I’m better off than this one poor chap at work, going off to collage without ever having seen ANIMAL HOUSE, makes me want to cry. [img]images/smiles/converted/frown.gif[/img]</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If he hasn’t seen animal house, then why the f**k did he want to go to college in the first place!?! [img]images/smiles/converted/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]images/smiles/converted/wink.gif[/img]

malcom
    Participant

These days, most of us dont WANT to go to collage, it just is pretty much the only choice yer given

everyonelovesjaron
    Participant

<STRONG>These days, most of us dont WANT to go to collage, it just is pretty much the only choice yer given</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don’t want to be a jerk or anything but it’s going to annoy me until I say something:

college… not collage…

OMIFUK please don’t flame me… [img]images/smiles/converted/frown.gif[/img]

<FONT>[ August 16, 2001 09:40 PM: Message mutated 1 time, lastly by ELJ ]</font>

malcom
    Participant

Yah, thanx ELJ, butt im no gud at speling.

Sory

seriously, I really do suck at spelling, grammer never gave me any trouble (outside of the fact that I make extrodinarilly long sentances), but spelling, arrg.

dimpfelmoser
    Participant

I´m a bit of a Legasteniker (as we say here in Germany) myself. Bad at spelling and all that. One of the reasons I studied art. Not much reading really and even less writing. Had to buy a bit of paint here and there of course.
    gruss
    d

AGAP
    Participant

Hey,

I like books with lots of pictures [img]images/smiles/converted/biggrin.gif[/img]

I have been burned like you guys on those outrageously priced texts that you really can’t use after your done with the class… [img]images/smiles/converted/eek.gif[/img]
    I had a prof assign a 120 buck book, only to use two chapters out of twenty for the course…we discussed our concerns with her and she took us all out for drinks [img]images/smiles/converted/biggrin.gif[/img] But seriously those prices are outrageous, I went as far as to photocopy peoples books for awhile..good thing I get free copying where I work now [img]images/smiles/converted/rolleyes.gif[/img]

The real world is a great place, antipop you need to give your head a shake…all kinds of options and choices out there no need to put all the fun stuff aside. But the book thing continues, always need to stay current with what you do. Good thing is that you get to pick the books not someone else.

Allison…who also starts back in the fall [img]images/smiles/converted/eek.gif[/img]

K7 Rides Again
    Participant

a buck twenty?…you fared well my friend…3 more quarters of that book buying crap for me. OSU doesn’t start until Sept. 19 so I have time to save up…lucky for me an ex-girlfriend and her friends work at one of the stores, so MY books are a little cheaper [img]images/smiles/converted/biggrin.gif[/img] The best is when you buy a $70 book and go to sell it back and all they’ll give ya is 5 bucks. TAKE IT AND SHOVE IT PR*CK. Or even better…"sorry, we’ve decided to discontinue using that one"
    Personally, I think it’s one big scam!!!

Halfman
    Participant

Just got my fall books today for 4 classes: [email protected] Thank God for the Gi Bill! I am still of the opinion most students who aren’t as fortunate get juked on trying to resell their books or just trying to make ends meet and breathe deep. Some suggestions:
    To free up some tuition money for books, try and get a couple of books out of the library on special grants. If your geneology skills are good and you can find a relative who belong to some strange group, you might get some money coming your way. Also writing essays for different groups might produce funds. If you can really stretch yourself, look into dialing up the major corporations in your closest metropolitan area and beg them to sponsor you or find some business or foundation that shares your intended major or fringe interests and see if they will help. You would be suprised at what people will give if they feel they share something in common with a "good" person, regardless of the bottom line. I can say I have tried this method, yet in things like finding employment and it is the same deal and yes it does work if you work at it. Hope this helps.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.