Home Forums General Discussions Open Topic Built to Spill or Modest Mouse

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    ScreamingTree
    Participant

Which show?
    9/14, Built To Spill at 9:30 club
    9/28, Modest Mouse/The Shins at Black Cat
    Probly won’t be allowed to do both. [parents.. [img]images/smiles/converted/cwm23.gif[/img] [img]images/smiles/converted/argue.gif[/img] [img]images/smiles/converted/cussing.gif[/img] [img]images/smiles/converted/flamethrowingsmiley.gif[/img]]Never heard either band, but word on the boards is both score very well in the goodness category. Which? Fans of either/both bands please enligten my misguided self.

<FONT>[ August 10, 2001 05:50 PM: Message mutated 2 times, lastly by Screaming Tree ]</font>

everyonelovesjaron
    Participant

<BLOCKQUOTE><font>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Screaming Tree:
    <STRONG>Which show?
    9/14, Built To Spill at 9:30 club
    9/28, Modest Mouse/The Shins at Black Cat
    Probly won’t be allowed to do both. [parents.. [img]images/smiles/converted/cwm23.gif[/img] [img]images/smiles/converted/argue.gif[/img] [img]images/smiles/converted/cussing.gif[/img] [img]images/smiles/converted/flamethrowingsmiley.gif[/img]]Never heard either band, but word on the boards is both score very well in the goodness category. Which? Fans of either/both bands please enligten my misguided self.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If it’s of any help: I’m definitely going to be at the Modest Mouse show, but maybe not the Built To Spill. Choose wisely based on that. [img]images/smiles/converted/biggrin.gif[/img]

ScreamingTree
    Participant

What kind of sound does MM have ELJ?

everyonelovesjaron
    Participant

<STRONG>What kind of sound does MM have ELJ?</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You’d have to hear it. Spaceboy (I think) posted the link to their website the other day… you may want to check there. If you like J., you’ll like MM.

AGAP
    Participant

Hey Screaming Tree,

My choice would of course be both, if only one Modest Mouse would win that contest. Check out the website Spaceboy posted a link to under cool web sites..lots of mp3’s to choose from.

Any chance you can charm your parents into it…come up with a deal they just can’t resist…give a little to get a lot. Concerts are two weeks apart…plenty of time to keep up with required crap…good luck [img]images/smiles/converted/wink.gif[/img]

Allison [img]images/smiles/converted/aliensmile.gif[/img]

rd
    Participant

I would have to recommend that you check out Built to Spill. While I haven’t seen Modest Mouse, but have heard great things about them live, I would encourage you to go see Built to Spill. I was lucky enought to see both Built to Spill and J Mascis on the same day back in April. Built played a festival in the afternoon (and played about 1:15) then I caught a Mascis show later that night. I would have to say that Doug Martsch is at least as good a guitarist as J is. He may even be a little better. I was blown away by Built to Spill. Sorry I don’t have a first hand recommendation for Modest Mouse but I would have to say that Built to Spill is more than worth checking out.

SG
    Participant

I voted for MM,but I love BTS as well,try to see both if you can;check out the BTS live album from last year;don`t bother with the new BTS album,it`s not as good as past albums.
    Check out the MM live stuff at the website Spaceboy found.

ScreamingTree
    Participant

I’ve decided I’ll try to make it to both…I’ve got a friend with a car and we could go to both shows without any problems. If that doesn’t happen I’ll go to the MM show since obviously they’re good and I haven’t been to the Black Cat since I saw J in April.

AGAP
    Participant

Hey ScreamingTree,

Good choice, hope it works out for you!!! Let us know what you think, I am hoping to check out MM in Chicago but it’s a very slim hope… [img]images/smiles/converted/rolleyes.gif[/img] So any pics or anything would be very cool [img]images/smiles/converted/wink.gif[/img]

ScreamingTree
    Participant

I’ll be sure to get pics at the MM show cause the Black Cat is a lot cooler about pics than the 9:30 club as I found out… [img]images/smiles/converted/mad.gif[/img] . I’m lazy though, still haven’t even shown you guys the cool pic of J I got…I’ll get around to putting it on a website and posting it.

everyonelovesjaron
    Participant

<STRONG>I’ll be sure to get pics at the MM show cause the Black Cat is a lot cooler about pics than the 9:30 club as I found out… [img]images/smiles/converted/mad.gif[/img] . I’m lazy though, still haven’t even shown you guys the cool pic of J I got…I’ll get around to putting it on a website and posting it.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hope to see you there at the Black Cat show… which of the two MM shows there are you going to? (They play 2 consecutive nights). I’ll be at both.

AGAP
    Participant

Hey,

Looking forward to pics from both of you [img]images/smiles/converted/wink.gif[/img] Sounds like a great show…MM are playing with Built To Spill for a couple of dates before the shows you guys are checking out. Now that would be an amazing show!!!

everyonelovesjaron
    Participant

<BLOCKQUOTE><font>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Another Girl Another Planet:
    <STRONG>Hey,

Looking forward to pics from both of you [img]images/smiles/converted/wink.gif[/img] Sounds like a great show…MM are playing with Built To Spill for a couple of dates before the shows you guys are checking out. Now that would be an amazing show!!!

Allison [img]images/smiles/converted/aliensmile.gif[/img]</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, I think in Athens… I have friends in Atlanta so it may be a go (note: it definitely isn’t a go, Jaron will chicken out moments before hand). [img]images/smiles/converted/biggrin.gif[/img]

everyonelovesjaron
    Participant

Tom, see if you can go to the MM show on the 29th (same venue). I’ll be at that one only. I would go to both, but a certain band named Weezer just announced a local show… heh… [img]images/smiles/converted/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]images/smiles/converted/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/smiles/converted/tongue.gif[/img] [img]images/smiles/converted/cool.gif[/img]

K7 Rides Again
    Participant

BTS BTS BTS BTS BTS BTS BTS…modest mouse versus BTS? Please tell me you all are joking! There’s no comparison. Just found out about a week ago that Built To Spill is coming to Columbus AND Cleveland only problem…the show’s 2 days AFTER I’m leaving on vacation (Son of a B*TCH!!!). Hopefully I can catch them somewhere on the road though. I’ll find the songs and actual times in the songs tomorrow but there is a lick in one of the BTS songs that I swear is exactly the same as a lick in one of Thurston Moore’s song off of Psychic Hearts.
    (is TM an influence for BTS, we may never know but with the way the sound, I would say it’s very plausable) You all will have to tell me what you think.
    By the way…what does everyone around think of Psychic Hearts? I absolutely love but my opinion is biased being the big SY fan that I am.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.