Home Forums General Discussions Open Topic British bands that are cool

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 43 total)
  • Author

SG
    Participant

To continue with the a nations best bands theme;I think it`s time we do the UK.Here`s my list:
    My Bloody Valentine
    Swervedriver
    Mogwai
    Teenage Fanclub
    Jesus And Mary Chain
    Lush
    Arab Strap
    Belle And Sebastian
    Ride(their early days)
    Cocteau Twins
    Slowdive/Mojave 3
    Jacob`s Mouse(1st album)
    The Fall
    Sex Pistols
    The Damned
    Buzzcocks
    The Clash
    The Raincoats
    That`s enough for now,I`ll think up more later;I know some of you problably don`t agree on some of those bands but I mentioned them anyway.
    see what you can come up with.

ps Eggwater should be added to my list.

maxini
    Participant

I immediately have to add

Spaceman 3
    Spiritualized
    Talk Talk (for the albums Spirit of Eden and Laughing Stock, not their earlier stuff)

Prolly I’ll be back with more later. Most of my fav english bands are already up there though.

eggwater
    Participant

hey Salami..you missed out eggwater

ha ha!!

(oh no you didn’t…i apologise)

there’s another band in manchester called Alfie that you might like…they’re a bit like Jim O’Rourke’s more mellow moments.

also The Smiths were good…

I wish Mr Kevin Shields would get his act together.

AGAP
    Participant

Hey Salami Guy,

You have a lot of my fav’s already listed so will only add a couple for now. Some of these are long gone but worth checking out in my opinion.

ATV
    Adverts
    Slaughter and The Dogs
    Eater
    Wreckless Eric…great pub songs
    Johnny Moped…yikes [img]images/smiles/converted/wink.gif[/img]
    The Jam…and a few Paul Weller solo tunes
    Captain Sensible…solo stuff…Stop The World
    Archers of Loaf…are these guys British…not sure

Allison [img]images/smiles/converted/biggrin.gif[/img]

maxini
    Participant

Uh oh ..

Black Sabbath isn’t on the list!!! [img]images/smiles/converted/eek.gif[/img] [img]images/smiles/converted/eek.gif[/img]

Two other bands that come to mind are

Magazine
    Joy Division

The debut album ‘The comfort of madness’ of a band called Pale Saints from the same shoe gazing era as Ride, Lush and Slowdive was pretty damn good IMHO, so I throw in them too, although their later stuff were not as good.

AGAP
    Participant

Hey Maxini,

Good call on The Joy Division thing, can’t believe I missed that one. Did Howard Devoto sing for Magazine, think he was with The Buzzcocks when they did The Spiral Scratch ep.

Wire is another cool British Band

Allison

ps The Comforts of Madness by Paul Sayer is a pretty cool book as well…scary but interesting
    [img]images/smiles/converted/biggrin.gif[/img]

SG
    Participant

Allison-Archers Of Loaf are American;I agree they do sound british,too much UK stuff in their record collections!
    I forgot alot of stuff so I thought up some more:
    Cranes
    Sundays
    PJ Harvey
    Nick Drake
    Syd Barrett
    Fairport Convention
    Incredible String Band
    Long Fin Kille(are they still around?)
    Tindersticks
    Drugstore
    Curve(early stuff)
    Flying Saucer Attack
    Spare Snare
    Mekons

Maxini-I was going to add Spacemen/Spiritualized,Joy Division slipped my mind too,Magazine had an ex Buzzcocks guy in it,Sabbath yeah,Pale Saints had an ex Lush member in it.
    How could I forget the Jam?

You named some stuff Allison that I have`nt heard of;ATV?that`s one of the tv stations here!The Adverts I heard of before,have`nt heard their music.I guess I should`nt forget the Slits either in terms of female punk,their drummer was in the Raincoats too.

Hangovers,forgot about them;that`s Gina from the Raincoats more recent band.

SG
    Participant

Deveto did sing for Magazine,yes,he was on Spiral Scratch ep.
    Wire!how could I forget them,the first 3 albums were cool,they lost it after that.

maxini
    Participant

Opps, blobbed again, but fortunately the mentioning of Syd Barret reminded me about Robyn Hitchcock; I’m a big fan of the Soft
    Boys as well as most of Hitchcock’s solo/RH+Egyptians stuff.

Btw, after Magazine broke up Devoto was in a band called Luxuria that put out two pretty cool albums (anyone remember that creepy video for ‘The beast box is dreaming’ ?), but that’s the last I’ve heard of him.

AGAP
    Participant

Hey,

Thanks for the info Maxini, Howard Devotos voice was definitely an acquired taste… [img]images/smiles/converted/wink.gif[/img] Never heard the stuff after Magazine though.

Salami Guy ATV was Alternative TV, this guy called Mark Perry sang, think the drummer was called laurie driver. They had some pretty cool songs, Action Time & Vision, You Bastard, How Much Longer. Mark Perry put out this cool fanzine called Sniffin Glue with tons of stuff on The Damned, Pistols etc. Recently picked up the whole collection of Sniffin Glue fanzines at Chapters…odd…shipped them out to a pal in Vancouver thou…kinda regret it now.

Adverts, Gaye Advert on Bass, TV Smith vocals etc…Gary Gilmores Eyes…wicked song. Other cool songs, One Chord Wonders, No Time To Be 21. They played a lot with The Damned, cool promo poster said The Adverts can play one chord, The Damned can play three, come see all four played at… [img]images/smiles/converted/biggrin.gif[/img]

The Slits, Ari Up drove me mad after awhile, Palmolive the drummer though she was very cool.

Other cool English Bands

The Lurkers…Shadow, Freakshow etc …fast and fun tunes
    The Ruts…West One (Shine On Me), Staring At The Rude Boys and Something That I said…classic

Allison [img]images/smiles/converted/biggrin.gif[/img]

Javro

try to find some bivouac stuff – they were absolutely amazing live, and on vinyl.

also adorable used to be great. marxman (uk hiphop), Roni, Die, Suv, Krust, Adam F (rinsin’ out with a selection of US hip-hop stars at the moment on KAOS), Kosheen (Decoder and Substance – wah g’wan?).

Maxini – you ever heard of some swedish dudes called the bear quartet?? Ashamedly, I called on of our bands that, and got busted after Peel played one of their sessions.

maxini
    Participant

<BLOCKQUOTE><font>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Javro:
    <STRONG>Maxini – you ever heard of some swedish dudes called the bear quartet?? Ashamedly, I called on of our bands that, and got busted after Peel played one of their sessions.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Oh yeah, I love the Bear Quartet. Incidentally, they’re on my list in the ‘swedish bands that don’t suck’ thread. In case someone wants to check out what they sound like, there are 1 min sound samples of all the tunes they’ve put out (except for the latest stuff) to be found here. Sorry for plugging a non-english band in this thread. [img]images/smiles/converted/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Javro

Max – no fucking way!!! When we were 16 my mates from school started a record label called sticky records, and the bear quartet were their first signing – blizzard w/ headacher the first release – Sticky 001 (the 7" with the pooh type bear on it).

Small fackin’ world.

"if it’s her, tell her I’m too drunk to speak to her"

maxini
    Participant

This is getting spooky right! [img]images/smiles/converted/eek.gif[/img]

Anyways, Blizzard and Headacher are both cool songs, not a bad first release there. My compliments to your mates (who wouldn’t happen to be two brothers called Matt and John would they? [img]images/smiles/converted/rolleyes.gif[/img] ) on that one.

ps .. gotta love that quote from headacher [img]images/smiles/converted/wink.gif[/img]

John Dyson
    Participant

Hey everybody,

Not been near a computer for a while so i think everyone has covered most of my favourites – just three left to add.

Urusei Yatsura – Scottish punky/ dayglo style band tragically just split

Idlewild

Half man Half Biscuit

Sure there’s many more as usual so shall probably come back later when I’ve thought of a few more…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 43 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.