Home Forums Dinosaur Related Discussions Live reviews / meetups Boston show at Avalon 7/15/05 Pics

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author

RSTguitars
    Participant
    "andyfest" wrote:
    Did anyone else notice that they were planning on coming back out for one more but the Avalon turned on the house lights and started playing music, preventing them from coming back on for the final encore?

Yeah, that’s the thing that sucks about shows at Avalon… they really push you out the door. They have to make sure everyone is out by 10:00 so that they can re-open as a dance club. LAME!

codyrogers
    Participant

haha i love how my friend christopher’s head is in almost everyshot, its awsome.

rockellita
    Participant

Thanks for the pics. This was an excellent show, and I’m amazed at how well-documented that show is already. With my old lady memory, I am v. happy there are pictures, MP3s, and a DVD coming out.

some other musings:

Not too many chicks at this show; lots of indie boys, far more than I expected dunno why. Dino never struck me as such a white indie boy band, but s’pose it is, and that’s how I got into them moons ago (via ex-beau, most certainly of the indie ilk);

"In the pocket" comes to mind, a phrase used in that Metallica movie to describe the Suicidal Tendencies guy audition (Trujero/Trujillo; what is his name??). They said he played right in the pocket, and that’s how this trio played on Friday night. AMAZING;

Wikked crowded and hot. Lost my silver hoop earring. Maybe jammed a bit much. Was off to the side on the steps by the bar & got in the path of a sweet little piece of a/c;

Lou is lookin good. Way more buff than I expected. Same with Murph pounding on those skins. Love Js luminescent hair in the green or purple light. The playing was so tight and in sync w/ each other, so all of those mini musical moments could happen & shurly they did;

I yelled "Boston" during a quiet mo, and someone else in the crowd yelled "New York" which was funny bec. a Red Sox-Yankees game was going on right across the street at the same time;

Thought Lou’s vocals weren’t turned up enough, tho maybe it was where I stood that the sound didn’t come through for him & I thought it was a waste for him to bust his voice for naught like that, esp. as I’m big Sebadoh/et. al. fan;

Thought J did some fab shredding, and can see why he rates up there in the guitar mags my geetar-pickin husband gets that I sometimes read;

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh it was a grand show. Thanks fellas. Loved the star background and lights.

colorsoundkid
    Participant
    "codyrogers" wrote:
    haha i love how my friend christopher’s head is in almost everyshot, its awsome.

That obtuse melon was the bane of my existence that night. :wink:

Aww I’m sorry that my obtuse melon was in your way. Unfortunately I can’t help that I’m that obtuse or that melon. It was fun though. :lol: .

dazedcola
    Participant

that was sucha great show i loved every second of it. There didnt seem to be a lot of interaction between the band and the audience though. At One point lou asked "what song people wanted to hear" and i screamed "tarpit tarpit", did anyone hear me ? Lou must have because thats the song they go into next.

Anyway here’s a review i wrote of the show when i got back home.

One of the best live shows ive ever been to.Dino Jr hasn’t gotten rusty at all in their age.They completly tore the roof off with their insane dynamic playing.They started with a great version of gargoyle then went into in a jar and j pulled off this beautifully melodic solo. Next they played the lung and this is one of the songs where J really shines so many great different parts in the song and J does a great jaw dropping solo that seems to last forever and im tripping out on the starry background behind them.Then comes a nice heavy version of the post and a manically crazed version of little fury things.Still try to recover from little fury things they jump into raisans and J pulls off another just amazing solo. At one point lou goes to the mic and says "what song do u want to hear next ?" I scream "tarpit, tarpit" and they play it and im so happy and they just do a beautiful version of it.Then they do a better version of repulsion compared to the album one like they seemed to have added more parts. The next song they played was just so crazy and was so highyl energetic and psychedelic , i loved it. Lou said afterwards its called "mountain man" and i made a note to download that song when i get back home.Definetly a highlight of the show, then to top that they go into that song bulbs of passion that just gives off this trippy vibe and i like how one minute its incredible loud distortion then next just having a few notes ring out, again J pulls off this crazy solo that had me banging my head (actually i was banging my head practically the entire concert)as he pulled these notes out of nowhere to perfectly match the music while lou sneers into the mic "buuuuulbs of passion" and the mic echoes his words off the wall, a nice little effect. Is J a self trained guitarist ? To end the set they do a monstrous version of sludgefeast that is just commanding as it is rocking. everyone cheers loudly as it ends realizing how good a band they are and wanting them to return. They do and for their encore they do a ripping version of Just like heaven that leaves the real dino feel to it as J reincarnates hendrix’s skills.Finally they do "freak scene" which everyone had been waiting for and do an awesome job with it mixing melody with distortion.

I wa surprised how many people were there, it was lamost packed, i didnt think dino jr had that many fans, where are they all. a few people commented on the mudhoney shirt i was wearing too. I saw someone wearing a germs one and thought that was cool.

dazedcola
    Participant

double post

i was the person in the mudhoney shirt too, if anyone saw it.

Also big thanks to whoever post the mp3s from the show.

King Tubby
    Participant
    "RSTguitars" wrote:
    "andyfest" wrote:
    Did anyone else notice that they were planning on coming back out for one more but the Avalon turned on the house lights and started playing music, preventing them from coming back on for the final encore?

Yeah, that’s the thing that sucks about shows at Avalon… they really push you out the door. They have to make sure everyone is out by 10:00 so that they can re-open as a dance club. LAME!

Yeah, I hate that shit. A couple friends of mine got tossed out for smoking…..cigarettes. What’s this world coming to? At least the club played some good dub as they pushed us out the door to make room for the dance party lame-os.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.