Home Forums General Discussions Open Topic Bios MIA

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)
  • Author

jeremiah
    Keymaster

I installed a new hard drive and Windows did not detect it so I tried to go to my system bios to set it up and I get a keyboard error so I can’t access that now.

Any Ideas on how to fix that?

Mattman
    Participant

What kind of motherboard (henseforth refered to as a mobo [img]images/smiles/converted/wink.gif[/img] ) are you using?

Have you tried flashing to the latest bios?

When and where are you getting the keyboard error?

Bad-computer-mojo(tm) indeed… [img]images/smiles/converted/eek.gif[/img]

jeremiah
    Keymaster

Have no idea about the motherboard (using a lame old compaq presario for now).

Will the type be labled on it?

how do I flash to the latest bios?

I get the keyboard error when trying to go to the bios (via F2 or esc @ bootup). [img]images/smiles/converted/frown.gif[/img]

Most definatly a bad mojo [img]images/smiles/converted/wink.gif[/img]

jeremiah
    Keymaster

It is a p333 if that helps identifying the board

Mattman
    Participant

Well, if you’re getting a keyboard error when trying to get into bios, try waiting an extra second or two before hitting the key.

You said f2 or esc… Do the bios instructions say you can use either? I’ve never seen a bios w/ 2 access buttons, but then I haven’t dealt w/ a Compaq before…

Are you trying to add this drive as a second drive or are you replacing your current one?

As far as flashing to a new one goes, you’ll have to see if Compaq has an updated one on their website. You’d probably need your PC’s model number…

Anyway, flashing a new bios is a last resort kind of thing. If we can solve the problem without it then its not necessary. Bios updates aren’t like drivers. They don’t tend to increase performance, just fix problems.

jeremiah
    Keymaster

It is going to be a second drive (hopefully)

If I can’t get it to work, I’ll just put it back in the box untill I get a new pc [img]images/smiles/converted/frown.gif[/img]

F2 used to work (lost the book) but so did escape. I tried waiting a bit longer and I did not get the keyboard error, it just ignored it all together [img]images/smiles/converted/confused.gif[/img]

jeremiah
    Keymaster

OK, you guys were right, it was the jumpers. Forgot to switch the old drive.
    Still have a problem.

When I booted up, it said all the drives and displayed the size(s) so I know it recognizes that it is there.
    The problem now is that it did not assign it a drive letter so it is not available to me?

What do I do now?

thanks again!!!
    jeremiah – pretty obvious I’m not a hardware person [img]images/smiles/converted/wink.gif[/img]

Mattman
    Participant

Is it formatted?

jeremiah
    Keymaster

nope, not yet. How do I get to it to format it?

Mattman
    Participant

Its best to do it from DOS… Does DOS give it a drive letter? Windows may not if it isn’t formatted, but DOS should. If not then there’s another problem…

If I were you, I’d do this from a boot disk. Use the boot disk option under ‘Add/Remove programs’ in your control panel. That’ll make a disk w/ all the old DOS files such as format, fdisk, scandisk, etc… Very handy to have one lying around. Have you used fdisk before?

jeremiah
    Keymaster

Man it has been a while since I have used DOS!

How do I get a list of drives available from the DOS prompt?

Just made a startup disk and I’ll give fdisk the old college try. Very limited experience with it and none in this situation. Do you have any tips?

THANKS!!!

everyonelovesjaron
    Participant

No startup disk needed… go to windows and run fdisk from start=>run and partition as needed…

Mattman
    Participant

I don’t know if you can get a list of drives… If you used the boot disk I mentioned, it should’ve auto-detected your CDROMs, so keep trying letters… Your main HD should be C: and your new on should be D:, assuming that you only have 2 HD’s including the new one… Put disks in your CDROMs, type ‘D:’ and then type ‘dir’ (hitting enter after each…) if dir gives you a listing of the files on one of you CD’s then DOS isn’t detecting your drive, if you get a blank disk, then that should be your new HD…

Let me know if you need help with fdisk… I gotta go take care of something real quick. I’ll be back within a hour… [img]images/smiles/converted/wink.gif[/img] (maybe sooner.)

jeremiah
    Keymaster

What are the steps I should take in FDISK?

Also, I did not see a drive with that size in the list available in FDISK?

everyonelovesjaron
    Participant

click "Y" to enable large disk support
    hit "5" (i think)
    select your new drive
    hit "1" to create logical DOS Partition
    hit "1" again to create "primary DOS partition"

then

hit "y" if you want to make a single partition drive and "n" for a multi partition

if multi, ask for more help

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.