Home Forums General Discussions Open Topic big star and reunited bands

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

buckingham rabbit
    Participant

so has big star gotten back together–what is the deal? i see they are playing at all tomorrow’s party in LA and then noisepop here in sf. i don’t remember hearing that they reunited, but i guess they did.

its kind of cool when these bands from before my day get back together to play some shows. saw the soft boys last year, mission of burma are playing only two shows on the east coast, jason and the scorchers played a few shows in the south. yeah, they are older and probably don’t play as well or sound as good as they did years ago, but we can’t ever see them like that, so this is better than nothing, right?

a list of bands i would pay money to see if they reunited (meaning no key figures are dead):

1. the field mice
    2. the dB’s
    3. the only ones
    4. the feelies
    5. the undertones
    6. game theory

the #1 person/band who is dead that i would like to see: gram parsons/flying burrito brothers

AGAP
    Participant

Hey BR,

I would definitely pay big bucks to see The Only Ones as well, that would be sweet!!!

Sometimes though I am kinda torn about this, friend of mine saw The Damned in Vancouver just a little while ago…said it kinda sucked. He is a huge Damned fan like myself, but old Damned not the new stuff they put out, he said Captain Sensible was cool though. Not all the old members maybe that was the problem.

Some bands I would pay to see reunited…

The Stooges
    The Buzzcocks
    The Saints…original lineup
    Radio Birdman…rumor is its gonna happen [img]images/smiles/icon_eek.gif[/img]
    Husker Du
    MC5

Had a hard time not mentioning The Ramones, The Dead Boys, New York Dolls, The Heartbreakers, Sonics Rendevouz Band…need to find a way [img]images/smiles/icon_sad.gif[/img] RIP all those long gone greats!!!!

Allison [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Cale
    Participant

One band I would LOVE to see reunite is The Jesus Lizard….They’re just simply amazing…

buckingham rabbit
    Participant

hey allison, have you seen this new (i think) live album by peter perret? i saw it in the record store…i think its two discs, has lots of only ones songs and others i dont recognize. maybe its stuff he did as the one, or maybe its new. i’m kind of hesitent to buy it–god knows what he sounds like after all those drugs.

cale, i see you are from san diego and i am from san diego so just thought i’d mention that i saw the jesus lizard play at the now apparetly closed SOMA back in like 94. pretty good live band.

and seriously, does anyone know about whats going on with big star?

SG
    Participant

Big Star reunited several years ago with 2 of the Posies,remember that?I did`nt know they reunited again but it`s not surprising since the last reunion was`nt that long ago.

AGAP
    Participant

Hey BR,

Thanks for letting me know about that PP deal, will definitely be checking it out. He did a lot of stuff with Johnny Thunders in London…would be cool if some of that was on there [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Allison

buckingham rabbit
    Participant

thanks SG, i didn’t remember that they had gotten back together a couple years ago. guess this isn’t that big a deal. not like burma…

Hansione
    Participant

I can understand your desires of bands being reunited, bus mostly the memories are better than to witness old man trying to do "their" thing again.
    They know now the reasons why they got famous and act to it.
    They all lost that special feel that they had when they were inspired. Playing the public favorites, fans that weren’t into it when the band was hot, trying to close in now. So the wrong audience as well!
    No lists from Hansione, I’d rather go for a timetravelmachine and see the real thing.
    While inventing that machine I try and check out as many "nowmusic" as I can! [img]images/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

SG
    Participant

BR-that Big Star reunion album is called Columbia:Live At Missouri University,it came out in 93.I don`t have it but heard some songs from it,sounds ok.
    I agree with Hansione on band reunions,they don`t live up to what you expect they`re going to be.The Velvet Underground reunion in 93 comes to mind,was`nt very good.
    I`d rather see the Stones in 72 whole lot more then seeing them this year.
    Concentrate on bands that are around today so in 15 years you won`t be wishing they get back together.

AGAP
    Participant

I have my doubts about some reunions as well but still would want to check out The Stooges, Only One, Saints and Birdman reunions.

Allison

buckingham rabbit
    Participant

well obviously i would have rather seen these bands in their prime, but i didn’t, mostly because either i wasn’t born or was just a little kid. i don’t have any memories of them in their prime to compare it to, so its really no loss. maybe they won’t sound as good as they did on their albums from back then, but most bands don’t when they play live (in my opinion). i’m not a big fan of live albums either, and especially not of reunion shows.

i will note that the recent mission of burma show was supposed to be really amazing, but they were supposed to be a really amazing live band. i saw the clean in september, and while they are still a band and have released material over the years, their best stuff is still from the early 80s. when they played those songs, it was great. while maybe it would be more fun to go in a time machine back to new zealand in like 1981, but let’s join reality. if you don’t have memories of bands playing in the past, its hard for them to fail to live up to them. if in 15 or 20 years pavement played some shows together, i’d probably still go. maybe it would suck, but who cares? its not going to erase what memory i of have of their shows i saw back in the day.

and hansione–there is nothing wrong with an old band playing their ‘hits’ for a new audience. in fact, they should see that as something gratifying. i know the go-betweens did/do. it just means their music has reached a level that they couldn’t have guaranteed it would reach when they were making it, no matter how hard they tried. maybe its just that all the shows of old guy bands that i have seen have been good. plus, you can’t assume they no longer have the inspiration they did when they made the stuff the first time around. case in point: young fresh fellows opened for the soft boys. they brought out roy loney of the flamin groovies to sing ‘teenage head’. he’s an old guy, but he made that song rock a hell of a lot more than it does on the album from ’71–when he was young.

and ‘nowmusic’…its not all it lives up to be.

AGAP
    Participant

I agree its an individual thing about reunions, a lot of bands that I would want to see were never that huge in the first place so I don’t think there would be "attitude" involved. Yeah sure some do take that kinda thing way too seriously, I probably would already know that by reading some of their articles etc and just not go see them. One band I saw recently talking about stuff that I wouldn’t go near is the Psychedelic Furs…but it sounds like they are mixing new with some of the old stuff in their shows…kinda like The Damned did…nope not for me.

So I agree with BR’s most recent post, I wasn’t around for a lot of the early stuff…Stooges, Radio Birdman, Only Ones etc and would just love to see them again. Doesn’t mean I am not focusing on now music in any way, just want to see some cool music done by some heroes of mine, fingers crossed it happens.

I think this kinda thing, not just focusing on the new is something I do in any number of areas, cartoons & movies are just a quick example. Sure I like some…not many…new cartoons but give me a Tex Avery or old Hanna Barberra cartoon and I will giggle myself silly. Love some new flicks, may even go see The Royal Tennenbaums again but love the classics by Hitchcock etc. Just received the 1954 Invasion of The Body Snatchers and White Zombie (Bela Lugosi) today, not a lot of current movies can match those for me. Not saying I don’t go for anything new I just don’t discount whats gone by as not worthy of my time.

Good point about The Flaming Groovies guy BR, lucky you got to see that!!!

Allison

malcom
    Participant

-Pavement
    -The Pixies
    -The Smashing Pumpkins (with D’arcy)
    -The Clash (but only if they could be "youthinized," I don’t want to see some fat tired old guys mechanically cranking out and killing a half assed rendition White Riot)
    -My Bloody Valentine

And I guess I’d have to choose either the Beatles or Nirvana for the best dead guy band to see.

SG
    Participant

Opinions vary on this topic,some people may like to see an old band together again,some rather would not,depends on the person.
    Nowmusic may not always be good,that`s true,I don`t care how old the music is,as long as it`s good.weird sometimes that people say they won`t listen to music from 3 years ago because it`s "old";makes no sense to me,I don`t care if it`s 30,20, or 10 years ago,if it`s good that`s all that matters.

Hansione
    Participant

I’m glad that we all have opinions and I would go when my favorite but splitt-up-bands would reunite. The only thing is that most of the time it is disapointing the way they perform and the crowds that come to see them do disapoint me too. I’m not talking about kids who were too young to see them in the first place, they didn’t have a chance; no I’m talking about older fans who did’nt attend these kind of concerts when they were younger. They only have their greatest hitsceedees and they only get excited when the hits are coming along.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.