Home Forums Dinosaur Related Discussions Dinosaur/J News & Discussions Beachwood Sparks-J plays guitar on two tracks

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Bucky Ramone
    Participant

J. is playing guitar on two tracks of the new Beachwood Sparks album ‘Once we were trees’, bought that album only yesterday, I will write a small ‘review’ later today, first impression: great spaced-out psychedelic country-rock……..

Bucky Ramone
    Participant

Beachwood Sparks – Once we were trees

Spaced-out Southern Californian cowboys making some weird and unusual music, some songs start as ‘normal’ country songs and go into a kind of interstellar overdrive after a minute or so, they cover Sade’s ‘By your side’ and make it sound like a lost Gram Parsons-classic, ‘Jugglers Revenge’ features J. on guitar and sounds like the Allman Brothers ‘Ramblin’ Man’ running headlong into J. and the Fog’s ‘More Light’, amazing stuff!!!!

AGAP
    Participant

Hey Den Buck,

Just wondering if it lists where they recorded that disc, I had heard that they were going to record the new one at Bob’s Place?

Allison [img]images/smiles/icon_cool.gif[/img]

Bucky Ramone
    Participant

Hi Allison,

It was indeed recorded at Bob’s Place by Thom Manahan.

J. plays guitar on ‘Yer selfish ways’ and ‘Jugglers Rvenge’.

Found this on a German site:
    "Zum Anschieben in andere Sphären haben sie sich für 5 Tracks den legendären J Mascis geholt (der auch als Produzent fungiert)"

Roughly translated:
    To get into higher spheres (they asked the legendary J. Mascis to assist them on 5 tracks (he also did the production)

On the album credits he’s just mentioned as playing guitar on the two tracks mentioned before, so I think there is something worth investigating here!

jeremiah
    jeremiah
    Keymaster

http://www.subpop.com/bands/beachwood_sparks/once/album.html

"The name of the album is Once We Were Trees, and it’s their second full-length. The dry facts are as follows:
    1.) It was recorded at J. Mascis’ studio in Northampton, MA. J. plays on it somewhere.
    2.) It was recorded and partially mixed by Thom Monahan (Pernice Brothers).
    3.) It was also partially mixed by Mike Deming (Lilys, Beachwood Sparks’ eponymous debut).
    4.) It features a sweetly torching version of Sade’s "By Your Side." For real."

*J. Mascis plays guitar on "Yer Selfish Ways" and "Jugglers Revenge

SG
    Participant

The drummer from Beachwood Sparks was in the Lilys,so that`s why Deming is involved.Deming I think played also with the Silver Jews.
    I `ve seen that new Beachwood Sparks album here,so thanks for mentioning it den buck,I`ll check it out sometime.

umascow
    umascow
    Participant

I have both of Beachwood sparks albums."once we
    were trees", is excellent. Both albums are very good. They opened for the fog last year in S.F. and L.A.
    It’s worth mentioning that two of the members of Beachood Sparks, were in an indie rock
    band-"further". further was heavily influenced by dinosaur jr and sonic youth. There first c.d. was recorded at fun city in NY and Lee Renaldo plays
    on it. I highly recomend them, if you can find any
    of their stuff, get it. Any dinosaur jr fan would dig them.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.