Home Forums Dinosaur Related Discussions Live reviews / meetups Athens, GA review (not for the faint hearted)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Annastefka
    Participant

This story comes with a song…I’m too lazy to throw the song into the computer so, if you want a whole experience of song to story you have to go here: http://www.rhapsody.com/danielle-howle/ … ick-museum and play track # 7, called All then procede to reading (if you want, it’s sort of long winded)

I couln’t even force myself to write a review of the show for Freakscene until today because, well my black Mama, the one who really raised me….has been telling me for years…"you had better learn to hold your piece"

After 40 years of telling me this…it wasn’t until a few years ago, I understood the statement. All these years….I thought she was directing me to hold my "piece of whoop ass that I was about to unleash" or my "piece of analysis of your situation I was about to enlighten you with" I was talking with her on the phone two years ago telling her.."I’m sorry but X is going to hear a piece of what I have to say" and she was like….."Honey, I’m talking peace..P.E.A.C.E", you better learn to hold your peace before you go a running your mouth" For 40 years I had been misunderstanding the whole meaning of what she was trying to tell me. So if I try and hold my peace while writing a review of Monday night it would go like this:

Uhhhhhhh, that show was a train wreck………..that was a show worthy of being featured on that National Geographic Show….Seconds from Disaster. I think the reviews from Arkansas were spot on for what we experienced in Athens on Monday night. I decided to go to the show at 10 pm…after I had helped with all the homework, washed all the children, cooked dinner, cleaned the kitchen, oh and had been in Municipal court at 8AM, where I fell asleep in front of the judge, waiting to plead my case (I won, charges dropped, charged with failing to register a vehicle within 60 days), gone to the orthodontist twice, once at noon only to have my daughter call from school and say that the new piece they put on had fallen off….so a drive back out to the orthodontist (25 minutes away), a piano lesson at 5pm and then I came home to find my son with a fever and my turkey gone. The turkey had sort of become my BFF lately so this was troubling to me. When a fowl meets with foul play there is usually lots of evidence laying around the ground…..I can’t find a thing. He just disappeared. I was afraid my exhaustion was coloring my mood but no, after the show, I ran into a few people I know and everyone said the same thing "That was a disaster" At one point during the show, Lou said "what’s wrong with you people…are you stoned?" My answer to that should have been a "what’s wrong with us is in direct correlation to what’s wrong with you…..mother trucker!" At one point some wise fellow yelled out "play some new songs" and Lou said…..something like…"Oh, you have heard one, that’s enough, don’t worry, we’ll will be back". Oh, my Gosh, when you say something like that in the midst of a train wreck, suffice it to say, it was perceived as a threat not a promise" I’m trying to hold my peace but it’s not working, as usual,….that show was like bad sex that almost everyone experiences in college at least once. You know, you are doing your thing well and they are doing their thing well but the two energies are just not compatible…..it seemed like each one was playing fine it was just an energetic mess, no flow, no juice……Where does one get flow? From letting go,of course. When your heart is in the right place the universe sort of rises up to meet you half way…….. and this was universal unleavened bread and passover has passed.

On top of all of that……..I had a crazy person standing next to me….one of those folks who hasn’t bathed in several days………his hair was all matted up in the back…………and he smelled so bad, like every Burger King meal and every bag of pork skins that he had eaten in the past several days was now being forced through his armpits into my face. I was so glad I had not had dinner with the family because I would have puked it up right there. It was that bad. I kept moving and he kept moving near to me. Then he was the one that started that shoving thing that guys do….WTF…I don’t get it…then they are all shoving each other and then a drink goes into some girlfriends face and that was it……soon enough two guys were doing the billy goat…angrily shoving their heads and chests into each other……I turned to a girl next to me and yelled….move over this is about to go from billy goat to cock fight and in a few seconds and boom….they both connected punches into each others faces, leaving one guy bleeding from the mouth and I was afraid there was going to be a huge fight so I moved back to hang out with sloan…which is always a good idea because he has the "sweet spot" as far as the sound goes. Oh, I think the band should withhold a nights pay from every single person who works for them as they were mostly asleep at the wheel as far as I could tell.

My last little bit of info is..I was sort of surprised to see J come out with like a six inch bandage on his wrist you can see in the photo’s someone posted from Baton Rouge, my only bit of humor about the show is:
    has the whole thing gone so far "South" (that’s a pretty funny pun actually) that they have now have had to remove all the sharp objects from the bus and J is regulated to using plastic cutlery, least his other wrist end up the same way. Please note…this is humor….that’s actually looks like something that probably hurt at one time…..perhaps it still does.

When I got into my car………..as I turned it on……the very first words I heard come out of the speakers was Danielle Howle singing "why did I come over when all it does is makes me sad" I thought, you said it sister. It was defintitley the worse thing Dinosaur JR./Fog/J solo I had ever seen. Near the end of the song, she sings "its done" and when something is done it’s done, that’s it, move on.
    I actually heard this morning that Augusta GA wasn’t that bad, that’s a good sign I suppose.

Annastefka
    Participant

I forgot to add…there were two songs that somehow managed to rise from the dust…the new song…Don’t wanna go there ….and Swan. They were played beautifully…really.

asamford23
    Participant

wow…. well, I guess they say all experiences are subjective and maybe reflective of your own state of mind, but from reading your review it seems as if we were at 2 different shows. Yeah, it was a little rough around the edges at a couple of points, but the energy coming from the stage was amazing, it seemed like J was really getting into it, saying "whooo" into the mic between every other song, and Lou was going batshit nuts through everything like always…..

this was my 7th or 8th time seeing Dinosaur dating back to the Masquerade in Atlanta with My Bloody Valentine opening back in Feb of ’92, and while it may not have been the best technical performance wise, it was one of the best shows from them energy wise and it seemed like the crowd was into it, and I think the "stoned" comment from Lou was just noting the fact that it was 4/20 and maybe because me and my buddy were smoking copious amounts of weed, and he was probably smelling it…… I think we were the only 2 people in there smoking up, I guess all the potheads were at the Wilco show down the street….

so yeah, I was good and stoned for the show, so maybe THAT’s why I had such a better time…… :)

anyhow, just wanted to give another perspective on the evening. I had a wonderful time, and thought the performance was amazing. It could have been a little bit louder. J turned up a bit for Out There, and that was closer to where it should be, but it still has never been as loud as it was when The Fog played the 40 Watt….

hopefully the show will surface, there was a guy there with a pretty nice rig recording, so I’d definitely love to get a chance to hear the show again to see if what I experienced made it onto tape……

Murph did fuck up a couple of times, but for me it’s not a good Dino show if Murph doesn’t fuck up a couple of times… LOL

asamford23
    Participant

oh, and speaking as a guitar player, I’m guessing J’s wrist was wrapped to fight off cramping and the effects of carpal tunnel. But that’s just a guess….

dr.strangedub
    Participant

Does anyone have a setlist? I personally had a great time. Severed Lips…No Bones…Out There…Forget The Swan… I mean, c’mon, man..Out There…THEY PLAYED FUCKIN’ OUT THERE!!

King Tubby
    Participant
    "dr.strangedub" wrote:
    Does anyone have a setlist? I personally had a great time. Severed Lips…No Bones…Out There…Forget The Swan… I mean, c’mon, man..Out There…THEY PLAYED FUCKIN’ OUT THERE!!

They’ve played Out There every show since late ’06.

Severed Lips is the real surprise, though. Did they really play it, or are you getting your song titles mixed up?

sloansimpson
    Participant
    "King Tubby" wrote:
    Severed Lips is the real surprise, though. Did they really play it, or are you getting your song titles mixed up?

They opened with it in fact. It was started a little slow, then got increasingly sloppy and lethargic. Seemed to throw them (or at least me) off for a few songs. Enjoyable show overall, but definitely not the best I’ve seen.

Dinosaur Jr – 4/20/09
    40 Watt Club – Athens, GA

Severed Lips
    No Bones
    Back To Your Heart
    I Don’t Wanna Go There
    Tarpit
    Out There
    Feel The Pain
    Kracked
    Forget The Swan
    The Wagon
    Freak Scene
    Raisans
    E:) The Lung
    Sludgefeast
    Chunks

I should have the recording posted early next week.

dr.strangedub
    Participant
    Quote:
    They’ve played Out There every show since late ’06.

I haven’t seen Dinosaur since ’05, when they got back together. So it was still a surprise for me.

dr.strangedub
    Participant

Didn’t they play another song after Sludgefeast? I’m pretty sure Lou sang two songs.

Annastefka
    Participant
    "asamford23" wrote:
    wow…. well, I guess they say all experiences are subjective and maybe reflective of your own state of mind.

hee,hee….I like that!

"asamford23" wrote:
    but the energy coming from the stage was amazing

yeah, it was amazing…….but not in a good way.

"asamford23" wrote:
    it seemed like J was really getting into it, saying "whooo" into the mic between every

That should have been your first clue…

"asamford23" wrote:
    it seemed like the crowd was into it

I’d say about $17 dollars into it.

"asamford23" wrote:
    so yeah, I was good and stoned for the show, so maybe THAT’s why I had such a better time…… :)

I was actually accidentally stoned, it’s hard to do, but possible….really stoned and it just caused me to get pretty freaked out by Dead Confederate. The cymbal crashes and the high-hat were killing me………but not in a good way. What causes that? Were they miked too high or played too hard used too much or was I just so stoned (I don’t usually get stoned) that I got scared by by some pieces of percussion. Who knows?

"asamford23" wrote:
    It could have been a little bit louder. J turned up a bit for Out There, and that was closer to where it should be, but it still has never been as loud as it was when The Fog played the 40 Watt….

OH, thanks I forgot about that…..I loved the volume….it was not too loud….and I really liked that…I’m getting older….super loud is not fun for me anymore (but I remeber the day so I understand a love of loud)
    yes, and I know exactly the Fog show you are speaking about, I had my hearing checked a few years ago and the doctor told me I have lost the upper range in both ears…I swear, it was from the Fog show but it was God’s little gift to me, it’s been the best thing for my marriage….when the kids ask me "What’s Daddy having an episode about…..I always say, I don’t know, I am little hard of caring….I mean hearing. :lol:

"asamford23" wrote:
    hopefully the show will surface, there was a guy there with a pretty nice rig recording, so I’d definitely love to get a chance to hear the show again to see if what I experienced made it onto tape……

Are you kidding…I’m digging the hole and inviting Sloan over for dinner…not even two weeks of solid rain should cause that thing to surface.

"sloansimpson" wrote:
    They opened with it in fact. It was started a little slow, then got increasingly sloppy and lethargic. Seemed to throw them (or at least me) off for a few songs.

That’s so true…threw them off about 13 songs…. :lol:

Annastefka
    Participant

please understand, I’m also having fun with what was really an off night, if I can get some help with the youngins’, I’m going to try and go to Charleston this weekend. I’ve got it in the works today. I have friends and family in Charleston…also in Asheville but Sunday night doesn’t work for me. A friend called me yesterday to ask if I would go to South Carolina with her on Sunday and I said if you go to South Carolina with me on Saturday. She said "Deal"………the last time I took her to see Dinosaur Jr, however, she got freaked out by BB_Q pants and left. So I don’t know how this will work, but we will try.

sloansimpson
    Participant
    "dr.strangedub" wrote:
    Didn’t they play another song after Sludgefeast? I’m pretty sure Lou sang two songs.

Oops, you’re right, they did "Chunks" to close the encore.

sloansimpson
    Participant
    "Annastefka" wrote:
    Are you kidding…I’m digging the hole and inviting Sloan over for dinner…not even two weeks of solid rain should cause that thing to surface.

For my own sanity, I have to post it; I’d never stop getting emails asking for it! :lol:

jeason23
    Participant

if i remember correctly … Miss Stefka has been weary of the whole dino reunion from the beginning… everything she says should be taken with a rather large grain of salt. me, being the buddy in question, would have to concur with asamford23. severed lips has ALWAYS been sloppy! they always use this tune to either: get their barrings straight; or if the bass player(lou, mike, watt) was having some sort of technical difficulty… J and murph would bust into severed lips; or J and george… whatever… i thought things got better with every song… this IS NOT J Mascis and the Fog, its Dinosaur. maybe now people are starting to understand what J said at the very beginning of the Fog… that they are two totally different things. but i guess if your only frame of reference is the Fog, it might be kinda hard to understand. but dont worry Anna im sure the Fog hasent cleared completely… And thanks to the dude with the big setup who recorded it! cant wait to hear it! :mrgreen:

Annastefka
    Participant

thanks Sloan for recording such great things while some of us are at home sleeping.

"jeason23" wrote:
    if i remember correctly … Miss Stefka has been weary of the whole dino reunion from the beginning… everything she says should be taken with a rather large grain of salt.

Oh, yeah….well, I’ll take you back to the subject Athens 12/3 where I posted a glowing review of the Dinosaur Jr. show that had little bits like this:
    They are tight, real tight, and the songs from Beyond sounded great.
    They were great, like Brain Surgeons who have done "hundreds of these", they rocked so well, like a well oiled machine. They are all skilled musicians, that’s easy to see and it’s still amazing to me that such a sound can come from a trio.

Oh, yeah and……..
    Speaking of Beyond, there happens to be a few songs I would have enjoyed hearing last Monday.

"jeason23" wrote:
    but i guess if your only frame of reference is the Fog, it might be kinda hard to understand.

Not my only frame of reference, I saw Dinosaur Jr. several times when we were all like little boys compared to what we are now.

"sloansimpson" wrote:
    For my own sanity, I have to post it; I’d never stop getting emails asking for it! :lol:

yes, especially now…it’s gonna be a classic…I’m gonna listen to that over and over again because…well just because I want to.

Dave Schools actually took off and moved to LA, a move that defies logic, we all thought no one left Athens.

OH, I was sent photographs today, that’s why I’m here, I almost forgot. You can see them here: Stinky Man, the little fellow with the beard, is in the photo’s, I was so happy to get to see him again. That’s him in shot 21 of 25. I’m the only girl in that photograph but it’s hard to tell because you know, I’m in the middle of the guys. I’m sort of behind the beard and in front of the hoodie thing. I didn’t get enough of him I guess, he came into my e-mail….YIKES> http://www.kodakgallery.com/ShareLanding.action?c=s77866b.bwyfeqlz&x=0&y=-cr23j3&localeid=en_US”>http://www.kodakgallery.com/ShareLandin … leid=en_US

and Jeason23 is correct about my reunion feelings…wheres the damn photo of J on the stool, I left for lent and came back to this..and it’s still going on and on..I think I handled it pretty well, considering my life has enough stuff to keep me worried and awake some nights.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.