Home Forums General Discussions Open Topic Artemide, I’ve had time to think about Keith Richards and I want to kick his ass before I die.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Annastefka
    Participant

Artemide asked me awhile back what I thought of Keith Richards and to tell the truth, I had NEVER thought about Keith Richards. Now in lots of interviews that J has given recently he mentions the Rolling Stones as inspiration and because I enjoy J’s music, I want to try and understand the love here but I’ve never been a fan of the Rolling Stones. I know that defies logic because “Everybody loves the Rolling Stones, right?” They have some GREAT songs, that’s for sure, but I can’t listen to more than 3 at one time without feeling like it’s time to move on. Now finding out that Keith Richards is a Sagittarius, I thought (because it’s my opposite sign, and in astrology your opposite supposedly has the key to your balance so I’m trying to be interested) lets see what he is all about and what I found out is NOT good. I found a video on youtube with Keith Richard talking about Led Zeppelin….and boy is he a mouthy little Sagittarius. In the full interview, he goes on to say that Led Zeppelin never really took off as a band, he mentions that Jimmy Page is the only thing interesting about the band and that “the drummer” had a heavy hand. Really? Then, I forced myself to listen to some Rolling Stones music and to view some live stuff on youtube. Wow…I had no idea that Keith Richards has very limited skills on the guitar. He seems to play little notes here and there and some chords and I get it…playing the guitar is not about the over the top soloing, in fact a good riff is way better than some extended solo for me but……………..I’ll put it this way, I put on some of the Stones music and then had to turn and cook or clean etc. and once in a while I heard something interesting on the guitar and I would run over to the computer only find out it was coming from ANOTHER player on stage with him. WTF? It seems that, and I had no idea, the Rolling Stones often have another guitar player on stage with them…WHY, because I don’t think Keith can fill the sound out fully. I was also noticing that when I go and get my groove on with the Stones, like shaking my booty, it’s because the BASS guitar and the steady drumming are the best things going for the band. Mick Jagger with his over the top Super-Leo performing style sews the thing up nicely but Keith Richards is definitely the weakest link. You could replace him with tons of other players and they could replicate his style, but you couldn’t replace J Mascis or Jimmy Page or many other players. They have a style that is unique to them and their personality comes through. You might say, that’s true with Keith Richards, yes he has a style but that style comes off as a combination of simple chords and jangly notes to me. Lets take any very good guitar player here in Athens, GA and they could replace Keith Richards after a short bit of time, and it would sound the same (if you were blind and sitting in the audience you wouldn’t notice) ..but you couldn’t replace J Mascis in Dinosaur Jr, it wouldn’t sound the same. So my reply video to Keith Richards would be….Mick Jagger and Bill Wyman are the Rolling Stones! So when J Mascis is talking about inspiration and he mentions the Rolling Stones, he must be talking about inspiration for writing a good catchy song and NOT inspiration for playing the guitar. I would like to see him expand on exactly what he hears that is an inspiration. Most people find that their opposite sign makes their hair stand up until they realize that “opposition” will be a battle of differences until you take it to the next level which is a perfect harmony, kind of a yin-yang thing. I was at a birthday party a few weeks ago for a Sag friend and in the middle of her party (it was an all girl thing) she stood up in front of everyone and said, to me, “your husband is a self-centered controlling asshole and you are so f*cking spineless that it makes me sad.” Something like that coming from a Sag made me smile, not angry! Because I try and find the balance…I told her, in front of everyone, “Yes, you are correct, well, I suppose what they say is true , when two thieves meet on the path of life, they need no introduction” and then because she is kind of slow she said “what does that mean?” and as everyone was almost peeing their pants from laugher, I told her “never mind, go and look it up when you have time, and you can think about it”. Trust me, I’ve been at her house when she drives up the driveway and her husband and son, cower in fear…and run around really fast trying to put things together just the way she wants them or else she will have a “Sagittarius episode” ….which she reserves for only those nearest and dearest to her heart, She has had one of those about twice with me…it’s very loud, explosive and full of the F-word. LOL!
    So after I’ve said all this shit….I was surprised at how pissed off I felt when I listened to this little video with Keith Richards talking about Led Zeppelin. For many years now, I look towards my Sag friends for guidance and it’s true all the lessons that they have taught me..I should speak my needs, I need for others to respect my wishes, I need to have a goal and aim for it, I need to find something I’m passionate about. I hope that I have shared many good things with them as well, like it’s not all about “me”, in many of life’s situations, it’s actually about “we”….also, not everybody has to do it YOUR way, another persons way probably has as much value and when you are with your family and friends it’s important to be really “present” and just occupying space in a room. So Sags don’t usually trigger me anymore but watch this video below….it made me totally lose everything I’ve been working on. What a stupid F*ck Keith Richards seems to be…WTF…he looks crazy and he has the same freakin’ problem that that other screwed up Sag, Ozzy Osbourne has, it seems that speaking a complete, normal, well understood sentence is a struggle. Recently on Facebook, someone was circulating some bit of advice that was in the vein of “things one should do before they die” and I totally had the feeling that if I knew I was going to die…I would want to make it my mission to go and find Keith Richards and kick his ass, bust his mouth open with my knee cap. God, I do feel so guilty for feeling this way. I was struggling with the stupid feeling and then I saw John Bonham in my minds eye and he was folded over laughing and encouraging me with “Yes, Do it, Do it” ! Well Artemide, that’s what I think about Keith Richards, the Sagittarius! L-) Oh, and speaking AGAIN of astrology and “looking up something”, Keith ends his piece by saying “Jimmy Page, Shy Boy” My Sisters husband is a Capricorn and many years ago, when they were still dating, I told him, “God, you are soooo shy” and he cut me short and down by saying…”I’m not shy, I’m reserved, there’s a difference, go look it up” Well done, Capricorn, I learned my lesson.

Had to edit, I forgot to include the video that got me all worked up.

essgee09
    Participant

J said that it was more Mick Taylor that influenced him than Keith(Mick was in the Stones circa 1969-74).A friend of mine used to always say Keith`s playing sucked but I did`nt believe him til listening to the Stones a bit more and yeah I can see why he said that.I was never that into the Stones til I got into the blues and was interested in how rock and blues could mix up like Hendrix,Zeppelin,the Allmans,Johnny Winter,etc I admit I only the the Stones up til 1973 or so.I think Keith is just there because he looks very rock and roll and been in the band too long that their fans would`nt think the band would be the same without him.
    I don`t know if you heard but Keith and Mick payed for Hubert Sumlin`s funeral.Hubert was Howlin Wolf`s guitarist for 20 years and died recently at age 80 from lung cancer.He could teach Keith some lol It`s cool they did something nice for one of their heroes though

Annastefka
    Participant

Thanks SG, I’m a little embarrassed because I haven’t taken the time to read and listen to all the J interviews…Mick Taylor, I’ve actually never heard of him…. :)). Well, actually now, I think I might recall that name. It’s rare that I find a Sag that I don’t somehow look up to, and you SG as a Gemini should feel the same way. Geminis often tend to keep on the “down low” and aren’t really big on “pushing our agenda” or “having our way”…I’m horrible at confrontations. My husband loves the Rolling Stones and even has a soft spot for Keith Richards (fire sign compatibility I guess). We were watching some videos together…and he was saying “How can you be hating on Keith Richards…look at him, he’s an old man…and he’s down on one knee playing the guitar….that’s so cool”….and I was like….”he’s not playing the guitar he is plucking one string, even I could do that on one knee”
    I think the Stones biggest hit was Sympathy for the Devil and when you hear that song it has very little guitar in it…and the guitar you hear is fairly simple scratchy stuff. I listened to another recording of the song on youtube that had a lot of guitar and I LIKED IT….I had no idea of Mick Taylor but I just knew it wasn’t Keith Richards on guitar…the playing was softer, smoother and had a nice normal cadence. Listen to the video below, perhaps this is what you are saying about J. If the Stones had always sounded like that, I would have liked them more. It has a “Grateful Dead” kind of sound, with faster, wilder soloing….LOL, that’s a story for another day. Why did this Mick Taylor leave the band, Did he Die? I’ll have some time later on in the day for reading up on that. Oh, and in the youtube video below, that’s another drummer right? Sounds more “upbeat” and “snappy”. Listen to the guitar in this recording. Heck Yes. Well, thanks SG, some things make more sense now. That Keith Richards should have gotten the boot a long time ago….he’s a mess!

essgee09
    Participant

The Get Your Ya`s Ya`s Out version of Sympathy.I`ve heard that before.If you`re wondering what ya`s ya`s is it`s when the old blues musicians did`nt want to say ass,they would say ya`s ya`s instead.So the title is actually Get Your Ass Out which would`ve been a better album title!
    Mick Taylor was in John Mayall`s Bluesbreakers first before getting the job with the Stones after Brian Jones died.I don`t know why he left,maybe sick of touring?He`s still alive I think.I remember seeing him in guitars mags teaching how you play the Honky Tonk Women riff.Oh a good Honky Tonk Women story,once this guy sang the song on the radio to win tickets or something and he sang ‘I met a gypsum bar room queen in Memphis’ instead of ‘I met a gin soaked bar room queen in Memphis :))

Annastefka
    Participant

I loved mixed up lyrics…..My youngest, Alvaro has an incredible ability to sing on key and hit the melody exactly…and he will sing in the car with the most serious face. His Father is a big Grateful Dead fan…and last year we were driving around and the song “Brown Eyed Women” came on and Alvaro sang as loud as he could “
    Brown-eyed women and red grenadine,
    The Bible was dusty but The Living was clean.
    God of the thunder with the rain pourin’ down,
    And it looks like the old man’s gettin’ Down
    That is just so good and it’s the way we sing it now Like “Fire on the Mountain” has become “Fire the Accountant” Oh no, my money is all gone…there is only one thing to do…fire the accountant.

Artemide
    Participant

Here I’m again! Anna, tnx for your passionate post, I’ll learn something new ’bout Sags guitar players ; D. Tnx Essgee too, for your nice Stones competence. Happy New Year, folks!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.