Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    kbrechin
    Participant

I find J pretty fascinating, and it’s quite evident he doesn’t like doing interviews but thought he must be quite a cool guy considering some of his friends in the business are really colourful characters like Watt, Thurston, Kevin Shields. Just wandering if anyone has met him and seen a side you didn’t expect? Or anyththing interesting about him that you’d never see on camera etc?

Annastefka
    Participant

Hey Kbrechin,I thought I would be the first to answer your question….I had tiny chats with J several times and once a longer talk, and it was nice because it was late and he was very busy gathering stuff…he has always been very nice and talkative with me…also have found him fond of saying funny sentences…just 5 to 7 words but often very funny. I have seen him a few times when he seems very tired and doesn’t really want to talk to anyone and after a show EVERYONE wants to talk. It’s funny because Dave Schools has the same sort of reputation and Dave and J are born just one day apart…I’ve heard many folks around town rumble under their breath that Dave is stand-offish and doesn’t like to talk and doesn’t have time for anyone but I’ve never found that to be true…I’ve always found him light-hearted and talkative. I always have a question in mind for J and once at the 40 watt asked a question about having his days and nights mixed up after touring and although there was a line of folks waiting to talk he took the time to answer my question. :D

tonas

I have also spoke with J a handfull of times, and he’s always been very nice and accomodating. He just talks slow. I am glad he’s been cool the few times we’ve spoke, because getting to meet one of your heros is rare and would be made worse if he was a dick. Thank goodness J is not. :)

kbrechin
    Participant

Thanks for responses guys. Im so jealous of both of you!

Was gonna try and meet him after gig in Glasgow last week but because they were all a bit under the weather and it was raining quite heavily I just left it, will try again next time.

Yeah Right
    Participant

Same here. Met him a few times and he’s always been cool. The fact that he talks slowly has earned him descriptions such as ‘slothlike’, ‘perpetually in the throes of a mid afternoon yawn’ and ‘notoriously hard to interview’ in the press, I guess from people with little patience.

kbrechin, take a look at this thread. Some great examples of the wit Annastefka mentioned.

kbrechin
    Participant

Yeah thanks for the link, I actually saw the clip last week and absolutely loved it! That’s a thing? Was he ever a stoner or is that something he gets typecast with also because of how slowly he talks?

tom
    Participant

I’ve met J several times over the years, and he’s always been nice. He just talks slowly, and I think many people assume it’s disinterest. I was lucky enough to go with him to a few guitar stores once, and he’s actually very funny.

shloonk
    Participant

Once I talked to him on the phone.

Edogg
    Participant

There’s not much I wouldn’t do to smoke a J with J. I feel sorry for people who idolize dicks. Trey Anastasio comes to mind right off.

Annastefka
    Participant

Hey Edogg, I used to idolize dicks and then as I moved on into my 20’s, I just sort of accepted the fact that I was born a girl…and I’m cool with it. Sometimes I still imagine what I could do…..oh, nevermind.

Edogg
    Participant

xD obviously you and I are not on the same page.

Annastefka
    Participant

My page is the one that says…Forum at the top then “Anyone met J” followed by four (4) ???? question marks…but just to be in the vibe of keeping it real…I honestly suppose we might not be on the same page. I’ve never heard of a Trey Anastasio…nice sounding name however.

Edogg
    Participant

I mean that when I said idolize dicks I meant people whose behavior is dickish. Trey Anastasio is the lead singer and guitarist for Phish and is idolized by a shit ton of hippies, and sadly for them he is a dick.

DripsDownLikeGravy
    Participant

I saw him in a dispensary once…

Annastefka
    Participant

Who? Trey Anastasio or J? I don’t enjoy that music that comes out of the phish.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.