Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    King Tubby
    Participant

Murph OWNS that gig!

Great sound mix all around, but especially on the drums. It’s a far superior dvd to the Middle East one, I’d say, even though that one’s quite good.

Obseqio
    Participant

I haven’t watched the whole thing yet, but I must agree the sound on it is amazing. I got it on blu-ray, looks awesome! I was in the front row, so I’m excited to see myself. I can assure you that standing in front of J, the bass was not as audible live as it is on the dvd. Give you an appreciation for the mixing they did on this.

I’ll have to go back and try to look at it objectively. Right now I’m too psyched about being in it. I’ll have to look at the over all meaning of this show, they performed ‘Bug’ in its entirety was it a good idea? Where doe it rank on Dinosaur Jr. shows?

There’s no questioning J’s musicianship. The mixing brings to light Murph and Lou’s playing as well. It allows you to see what they’re all doing up there and again it sounds pretty good so far. I’ll have to come back and revisit this.

empire3

Glad to hear its better than the middle east – I’m sure it was made to be raw & it does have a ‘being there’ feel – But I’ve got better sound on my phone from a gig! 🙂

Can’t wait to get mine, comes out on Monday 05th here(uk), Plus excited for the first dino blu-ray.

jeremiah
    jeremiah
    Keymaster

I think the DVD sounds brilliant. I have actually had it on in the background while I work a few times over the last week. Also thought the fan interviews were really good, maybe even better than the ones with HR

Annastefka
    Participant

I’m thinking the Middle East one was the one that was sort of colorized all the way right? I just got so tired of seeing that “colorized” thing…I remember thinking, yikes, I’m done after just a few songs. Oh, and Murph without a shirt? Am I remembering right? yikes. Although I think Murph probably looks better without a shirt on than I do, still….My South American Mother in Law hammered it into me (not that had to be hammered in, I grew up in an uppity Southern house where men always had to wear an undershirt)….Men should NEVER appear without their shirts on in front of anyone other than their wives…period.

She says in her Latin accent it is “deese-cut-sting” and “ab-whore-rant” ….and if you see that type of man, you can tell right away “he is from lower class upbringing” and “he will be unable to provide you with anything….money, a home, or anything.” you never let my little grandsons walk around without a shirt on….ever” “but Tita, he’s only two years old!” “It doesn’t matter”…….Yes..that was a conversation that I had with my Aries Mother-in-law about my child walking around in his own yard….(more than 4 acres at that time) without a shirt. God Bless, she is now near the end of her life and other than the nurses who come by three days a week, I’m her primary care giver…and I love to push the envelope with her and make her laugh. I’ve watched soccer games with her at her house and said…OMG, look it’s Fernando Torres with his shirt off…look, look how the hair from his navel goes right down inside his soccer shorts! Just thinking about where that navel hair line leads is making me feel all tingly in my private parts. I’ve heard Fernando makes $40 million a year, you think he can provide for a family? You know, I do believe, I remember, when I first knew I was in love with your son…..he had on a pair of white pants that hung real low and he had no shirt on…I had come to his house in the morning as he was just getting dressed. At that time we were still just friends (I worked for him, and rode to work with him)….I told her, his pants were hanging so low that I could see a triangle patch of black hair at the end of his navel line and it kind of turned me on. He had a bagel cooking in the toaster for breakfast and he gave me half of his bagel and we ended up fucking right there in the kitchen before we moved to the bedroom…..cream cheese and all. I’ve again written more here then I did in my journal. Today, I wrote in my journal that life sucks today but sucks less than yesterday because I had an unusual bout of diarrhea yesterday which seems to have gone away today. Yay, I can’t talk too much about guitar pedals but can share diarrhea and cream cheese stories. Can’t wait to see the “Bug” stuff and good for Murph….it’s about time he shinned!

Hybridge
    Participant

I very much enjoy reading your posts, Annastefka; shinne on!

I haven’t bought the Bug dvd yet but plan to after reading the positive reviews here. The Bug show at the Fillmore a couple of months ago was pretty awesome, here’s hoping the dvd is as great.

SimonM
    Participant

I’ve got it and it’s awesome. In my opinion, it’s the closest anyone has come to capturing the live atmosphere. The video footage varies from crisp HD down to low frame rate fuzz, generally hand-held and a bit shaky, changing dramatically as it cuts from one view to another. In a good way though; It reinforces the idea that it’s made “by the fans, for the fans”. Some go for wide shots and others give us extreme close-ups good enough to work out the fingering of riffs or freeze-frame and take stock of J’s latest pedal purchases. The sound is excellent throughout. Performance-wise, they are really on the ball; Just the right point between giving a close replica of the original album and making it sound alive, natural and laid back.

I borrowed both the BluRay and DVD from Lovefilm to work out whether it was worth buying the BluRay, and I’d say it is. Some parts you’ll see no difference, but there are moments of awesome clarity where the BD pays off.

As has been said above, this is an entirely different beast to the Middle East. That had one play and left me disappointed. I’ve had this one a matter of days and it has already had multiple viewings.

Simon.

gkay44
    Participant

I’ll give everyone some low-down with this DVD. There were some additional ‘non-fan’ filmers. Not a bad thing, but just wanted to make a mention of it. One of them was Philipp Virus, the same guy who directed and filmed the Middle East DVD. He and I filmed in the press-pit (right in front of the band). I was on Lou’s side, Philipp on J’s. Near the end, Dave Markey even filmed from our location a bit. Another thing to mention: 3 of the ‘fans’ had their own professional equipment and heavy duty tripods. Another non-fan’s professional set-up was used from the far back balcony spot. Everyone used HD equipment (I used a Sony store-bought camera). I made the most of the times I’d seen the band before, and wanted to highlight Lou and Murph as much as possible. Sometimes I’d pan over to J, just when I knew a good part was coming up (like his wah-wah part on “Yeah We Know”). The club itself really helped by having some great lighting – not the same scenario with the Middle East (which is much more of a bare bones place). I never understood why the Middle East was chosen to make a legit DVD, but I do like that one since it’s from the same year they reunited. I’m glad to have helped make the BUG DVD enjoyable.

jeremiah
    jeremiah
    Keymaster

Philipp Virus is also J’s brother in law and is making a documentary on J that I hope sees the light of day at some point.
    I agree 100% about the Blu-Ray. TOTALLY worth it. Actually, it is the only BR I own after having a player for a few months. priorities.
    You guys all did an amazing job and I think the fan questions were better than the Rollins ones. It may have been the atmosphere around them but it was great.

Thanks for sharing some insight into how it was to be a part of it @gkay44 !

freakboy1610
    Participant

Has anyone had any problems with the Blur Ray? I got mine a couple of weeks ago and it froze at random during the show footage and only the fan interviews wqould play out of the bonus stuff. Sent it back to HMV and got a replacement today but now none of the bonus features will play!! It’s still a great show and I prefer it to the Middle East DVD.

empire3

My Blu ray is ok and UK…..i worked at HMV about 12 years ago… If anyone sent a complaint to head office they would send out a £20 voucher … If you can be arsed!?

Just watching it again, the show is so awesome ! Looks like Murph thinks it’s the end of the world in December 2012…..

Blood from a stone on the questions! But hey they wouldn’t be so cool if it wasn’t .

A good bonus would have been them doing liar 🙂

SimonM
    Participant

freakboy1610 said: Has anyone had any problems with the Blur Ray?

Hmmm… I borrowed the Blu Ray from Lovefilm and I *did* have some playback problems, but put that down to the very old PS3 I was playing it on (which I rarely use for Blu Ray, hence no idea whether it’s generally reliable). Perhaps that disc was also dodgy.

tonas

I got the DVD and yes the sound is brilliant. The only reason I got the DVD was so I could rip the audio an put it on my iPod. Priorities.

Obseqio
    Participant

I noticed that when they play ‘Don’t’ J’s soundman gives him another Tobaccoburst Jazzmaster with white knobs and pickup covers. I didn’t even notice that at the show and I was right in front of him, but it begs the question, “Why didn;t he use the cream color guitar?” Must have been promoting the Squire JMJM

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.