Home › Forums › Dinosaur Related Discussions › Live reviews / meetups › another great kevin shields interview
- This topic has 1 reply, 2 voices, and was last updated 18 years, 8 months ago by Robert.
June 23, 2004 at 1:00 pm #47101
again, i hope this hasn’t been posted already
for a quiet man, he sure can talk !
The Loveless Waiting Room
Kevin Shields, Lost in Translation and a My Bloody Valentine Promise
by Gregg LaGambina | 01.29.2004
ItÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s mid-winter in a university dorm room somewhere in the Midwest. ItÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s 1991. The shades are drawn, the door is locked, the room is lit purely for atmosphere (from a lava lamp, or a string of Christmas lights), the chatter is the tentative type of new friendships barely a month old, and the music that fills the room is Ã¢â‚¬Å“Only ShallowÃ¢â‚¬? from a new record by My Bloody Valentine called Loveless. Someone explodes.
Ã¢â‚¬Å“What the fuck is that word, man? You know, like when something just doesnÃ¢â‚¬â„¢t seem like something else, but is something else? Like, itÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s so strong in what it is that it, like, fucking busts out and actually becomes something else?Ã¢â‚¬?
Someone says Ã¢â‚¬Å“synesthesiaÃ¢â‚¬? and looks around with the shaky confidence of a student who learned the word on a recent afternoon in a lecture hall nearby.
Ã¢â‚¬Å“Yeah! ThatÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s it, man. Fuck! IÃ¢â‚¬â„¢m hearing this shit, but look around you, man! ItÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s in the air. I can see this fucking song. What is going on here?Ã¢â‚¬?
Loving Loveless makes you almost envious of the odd sort whoÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s never heard it. Call it virgin envy. To paraphrase the mighty Foreigner, nothing Ã¢â‚¬Å“feels like the first time.Ã¢â‚¬?
After fairly inauspicious beginnings and a handful of mid-Ã¢â‚¬Ëœ80s EPs mired in derivative synth-goth explorations that led to nowhere but the bargain bins, Kevin Shields, guitarist and ongoing leader of the still in-limbo My Bloody Valentine, had a breakthrough. IsnÃ¢â‚¬â„¢t Anything was very much somethingÃ¢â‚¬â€September 14, 2004 at 6:00 pm #103225
That is such a great read. Simple as that.
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
- Click to email a link to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)