Home Forums General Discussions Open Topic And that’s why I like….

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Robert
    Participant

The Mountain Goats

I missed out on the shrimper casettes and the earliest outings by the Mountain Goats, in fact I missed out on a lot of things, but we’ll leave that for later.
    I first entered John Darnielles universe when the calender said ’97 and Full Force Galesburg was released.
    Bought it on a whim the same day I bought my first proper turntable(yeah, I was boring enough to get a Rega,) mostly because of the cover
    [img]http://prod-assets.mog.com/amg/pop/cov200/drd100/d198/d198838i3f4.jpg[/img]
    I really liked how it had Spring and summer 1997. Hi, Joel. written on the front. I thought that was the coolest thing. Imagine being Joel and seeing your name on a record cover like that, I would’ve wet my pants if my name had been on the cover of a record. Honestly.

Needless to say I liked the album. A lot. I felt that John Darnielle had the same frantic honesty in his voice that I found in Jeff Mangum, and the stories his songs told were so lyrically crafted that I felt it set a new standard by which everything should be tested against in the future.
    If this had happened today I would’ve internetted the hell out of "the mountain goats," and "john darnielle," to find out as much as possible about the band, the man & what other records there was to be found. But you have to keep in mind that this was before google, hell, internet explorer had only been around a couple of years at this point, and internet was only half the size and weighed considerably less then than it does now.
    So even though my ibm was hooked into it through a state of the art 56k modem it didn’t cross my mind that I could use it to find out more about the band. Come to think of it, I guess I used it solely to try to find topless pictures of the Baywatch cast and dino tabs. BBS & #irc was the craze back in those days.

Let’s skip a couple of years. And by a couple I mean 5. I was still listening to Full Force Galesburg from time to time, but I hadn’t seen a new album until there was All Hail West Texas. And let me tell you, holy fucking crap !
    [img]http://images.artistdirect.com/Images/Sources/AMGCOVERS/music/cover200/drf100/f124/f12481l0pkv.jpg[/img]
    Of course, it’s recorded on a boom box, it’s got tape hiss a plenty, but come on, it’s the musical equivalent of a masterpiece from Goya. Seriously.
    And make no mistake, even though internet was still used for perusing topless pictures this time round I wasn’t going to let anything stand in my way of finding out as much as I could about all things Mountain Goats.
    So I did. And by doing so I found that Mountain Goats lived up to some very important standards.
    John Darnielle is prolific. There were albums, 7" and limited 12" only sold on tours coming out the grand wazoo. This is a she’s not wearing any panties under the skirt kind of bonus for a vinyl nutter as myself.
    It not only meant that there was a lot of great music that I still hadn’t heard, it also meant that I got a hobby that is as fun today as it was seven years ago, searching the high heavens for that 7" that has eluded my all these years or finally convincing someone to sell me their copy of Come Come To The Sunset Tree.

There are a lot of bands that put out tons of music. There are a few bands that put out tons of really good music, Guided By Voices/Robert Pollard being one, but to this day I can’t say I know of any other band that puts out music with this frequency that reach the same quality as the Mountain Goats. All hail indeed.

I could extend this already too extended rant with enough toughts about All Hail West Texas to fill a quarter of the internet, but I’ll close off by saying that when I’m optimistic I hope my life will be Jenny but usually I dread that it will be Fault Lines.

essgee09
    Participant

A Robert Recommends thread!Yeah I feel lonely sometimes that I`m the only one talking about favorite bands.
    I first heard the Mountain Goats in `97 too.It was a profile on a late night radio show that I discovered alot of bands from(Eleventh Dream Day,Sleater Kinney,etc)John`s Phil Ochs-gone-lo fi shtick seemed impressive.I sent for a Shrimper Catalog but ordered nothing.Years go by and I get a few albums(Beautiful Rat Sunset,Sweden,Zoepilote Machine,The Coroner`s Gambit…)I don`t listen to them often enough I must admit but dig them when I do.
    If you read my Tall Dwarfs post in the Youtube thread you know Darnielle and Mangum got alot out these guys

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DfJc0Une5g 4DfJc0Une5g

Robert
    Participant

Oh ! And I love how he starts a song with
    Well, a guy in a skeleton costume comes up to the guy in the Superman suite and runs through him with a broad sword.

Yeah Right
    Participant

Does anybody keep up with John’s blog Last Plane To Jakarta? I haven’t checked it for a while, but back when I did it was mostly about metal. A couple of years ago he posted thirty short poems (one a day) about his favourite black metal band. Here‘s the first. Enjoy!

essgee09
    Participant

i was trying to find his Amazon picks of fave albums.A really mix bag he choose!From hip hop to classical to Kristin Hersh.I could`nt find it.I did find something interesting though,a book he wrote about Black Sabbath`s Master Of Reality:

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Sabbaths-Master-Reality-33/dp/0826428991/ref=tag_csr_cc_m_rpli_t”>http://www.amazon.com/Black-Sabbaths-Ma … c_m_rpli_t

Robert
    Participant
    "Yeah Right" wrote:
    Does anybody keep up with John’s blog Last Plane To Jakarta?

I do from time to time. He’s a great writer, and some of the stuff up there is pure brilliance.
    My favorite has to be the segment about a show called Hit Me Baby One More Time or something like that, where Tommy Tutone covered All the Small Things and Haddaway sang a Britney Spears song.

Yeah Right
    Participant
    "essgee09" wrote:
    I could`nt find it.I did find something interesting though,a book he wrote about Black Sabbath`s Master Of Reality:

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Sabbaths-Master-Reality-33/dp/0826428991/ref=tag_csr_cc_m_rpli_t”>http://www.amazon.com/Black-Sabbaths-Ma … c_m_rpli_t

Sounds like a good book. I must admit I was amused by the review in the link which dishes out one star for the book, simply because his summary (which I didn’t actually read) is titled ‘John Darnielle Needs To Master Reality’.

"Robert" wrote:
    I do from time to time. He’s a great writer, and some of the stuff up there is pure brilliance.
    My favorite has to be the segment about a show called Hit Me Baby One More Time or something like that, where Tommy Tutone covered All the Small Things and Haddaway sang a Britney Spears song.

I’d like to see him take up this person’s offer

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.