Home Forums General Discussions Open Topic Amusing read on behalf of a young moron

Viewing 14 posts - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • Author

bob
    Participant

I thought well this guy is entitled to his opinion since Minutemen is different than harcore punk until I read what he defined hardcore punk as.

bob
    Participant

I have a problem with hmv now with their new reshelving now that they seperated alternative from punk. I liked it when the two were together because then I could at least find something. Now bands like the weakerthans, the get up kids, the promise ring, and at the drive in are in punk and I don’t think they’re punk at all. There should only be rock/pop/metal/punk/alt should all be together. now I’m sounding like a snob

SG
    Participant

The Weakerthans punk?don`t sound punk to me.
    Yeah,i`m sick of hmv`s sub sections of rock,why can`t they just put it all under rock?
    I think we should protest,Bob,you jump up and down in hmv in your province,Allison can jump up and down in the her province,and I can jump up and down in my province.
    the news can read-"Protest over rock sections in hmv in 3 canadian provinces,jumpers arrested and claim zombie conspiracy afoot".

AGAP
    Participant

Hey,

Your not sounding like a snob Bob, I am pretty frustrated with their system as well…can’t find a thing. I don’t really like HMV at the best of times, usually enter on a mission to get what I need and leave as quickly as possible…impossible now.

Interesting plan Salamiguy, all for it, we will need to coordinate times etc…have some pals in Vancouver that would love to take part. I don’t think getting banned from HMV would be a horrible thing, badge of honor no doubt!!!

Allison [img]images/smiles/converted/wink.gif[/img]

bob
    Participant

I went to hmv yesterday to get the new Superchunk and I looked in Alternative and there was no divider there even, so I checked punk:nothing, then I checked rock, turns out they didn’t have it at all and I wasted time checking for it thrice when I could have just checked once. (I thought they would have it ’cause they had shitloads of Come pick me up when it came out).

I’m really starting to hate labelling music. I was at a party and there was this girl with a black flag sweater (turns out she didn’t even like them just some Rollins’ spoken word crap and bought it just to be cool when she really liked age of electric and stuff) We all started talking about Propagandhi and I mentioned that I really loved the weakerthans and she says "that’s just a bunch of emo music", "emo music is pussy music" Obviously she didn’t know what emo music is, because the weakerthans certainly aren’t (not that there’s anything wrong with that), but said it anyways just ’cause somebody else probably said that at one time. I felt insulted but I was too drunk to argue back coherently. While punk rock is a label no band can keep Emo is one no one can escape.

There might be a point in here somewhere.

<FONT>[ September 20, 2001 03:05 AM: Message mutated 3 times, lastly by bob ]</font>

SG
    Participant

age of electric:aggggggggghhhhhhhhhhh
    I guess now you know I don`t like them.
    On the Superchunk tip,check Future Shop for the album,they may have it,they had come pick me up,Allison found Sparklehorse there and so did I.
    hmv was cool when it first opened here 2 years ago but now alot the indie albums got pulled from the shelf so I missed out on getting alot of good albums.
    The emo tag I mentioned before,blame the music press for they`re emo this emo that for describing bands,i`m sick of it,there`s this band from Virginia called the Exploder,they call themselves screamo,which i think sounds better then emo,and they do scream!
    If I see any fake Black Flag fans,i`m gonna shout RISE ABOVE RISE ABOVE at them.

malcom
    Participant

I would like to say that the most influential bands are usually the ones that don’t sell very well. i/e Television, Velvet underground.

So, we can expect the future influential bands to be: Atari Teenage Riot, Spacemen 3, Prodigy, Modest Mouse, and maybe Ben folds, Pixies, and Dinosaur Jr.

SG
    Participant

HMV has listened to me!
    all the sub sections of rock has been put under rock,they must have been reading my mind!

Malcolm-Prodigy?Ben Folds?influential?when does a Ronald McDonald pseudo punk clone and a Elton John wannabe become influential?
    just being cranky today I guess,if you like em that ok with me but I have to put some 2 cents in sometimes.

malcom
    Participant

1) where the fuck is HMV anyway, this record store I have never heard of

2) why do record stores even bother with labeling metal, punk, alt., pop/rock seperately anyway, I never know what group a given cd will fall under.

3) Ben Folds sounds nothing like elton john, although I like them both. And we don’t know that they will be influential(I for one think very little of prodigy), though the potential is there. Iwas mearly pointing out a fact, and showing that there is life at the end of the tunnel.

everyonelovesjaron
    Participant

<BLOCKQUOTE><font>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by EvIl MaLCoM: SiNgle WIth StAndaRdS:
    <STRONG>

2) why do record stores even bother with labeling metal, punk, alt., pop/rock seperately anyway, I never know what group a given cd will fall under.

</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree sir. I was looking for Radiohead’s Kinves Out maxi-single the other day at a local Record Town, and lo and behold, where did I find Radiohead but in pop. Not "pop/rock" but "pop." Someone is going to die. [img]images/smiles/converted/mad.gif[/img] [img]images/smiles/converted/mad.gif[/img]

AGAP
    Participant

Hey Malcom

HMV is a huge chain that sells discs, videos etc across Canada and I think Britain. Sounds like Salamiguy talked some sense into his local store ie everything under rock…no such luck here yet. I swear that bizarre labelling system is a plot to confuse you and have you spend more time in the crappy store… [img]images/smiles/converted/eek.gif[/img]

Allison [img]images/smiles/converted/tongue.gif[/img]

malcom
    Participant

Ah, very much like our own Camelot, Wherehouse music, tower records, Sam Goody. I just shop in pawn shops and used record stores. . . One mans trash is another mans treasure. [img]images/smiles/converted/wink.gif[/img]

SG
    Participant

That`s what I do,check around used stores and delete bins.Still buy expensive cd`s sometimes though.
    Sorry for misunderstanding you on prodigy,I was being harsh on ben folds,he`s not that bad,I get dissing stuff sometimes,I`m going to have to stop that,guess I`ve been reading too much Steve Albini articles.
    I agreed on all the other bands you mentioned,VU,Television,Spacemen 3,Modest Mouse,etc.

Halfman
    Participant

Whoops.. here goes a funny for this thread:
    http://www.jonimitchell.com/Billboard090801TWhite.htm

Viewing 14 posts - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.