Home Forums General Discussions Open Topic Amusing read on behalf of a young moron

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 44 total)
  • Author

AGAP
    Participant

Hey Salamiguy,

The record store I was in was the awful HMV, included in the alt section was econoline crush. I know as a fellow canadian you will understand my pain [img]images/smiles/icon_eek.gif[/img] [img]images/smiles/icon_confused.gif[/img] [img]images/smiles/icon_eek.gif[/img] Sad thing was no Iggy in any of the punk/alt/punk metal etc, I swear its a zombie making the listings for these stores…gotta be [img]images/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

Like I said before if you ever decide to run for office with that Ramones platform you have my vote for sure. That record store sounds cool, no categories what would people do…god they may have to think and investigate things for themselves…the world could end for them [img]images/smiles/icon_eek.gif[/img]

Allison [img]images/smiles/icon_razz.gif[/img]

AGAP
    Participant

Hey,

I think working at HMV might just kill you Salamiguy, the pressure to become zombie like could be overwhelming [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img]

The Zombie Killer Cd sounds pretty cool, don’t forget to put some Zombies on there. I use it in my current protection scheme, positive/negative kind of action sends them screeching every time [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Thumps up to your friend Rob, horrifying boy bands are just killing me. I was watching some US Open Tennis and who do they interview….ahhhh…couple of zombies from nsync…. [img]images/smiles/icon_eek.gif[/img] [img]images/smiles/icon_eek.gif[/img] [img]images/smiles/icon_confused.gif[/img]

Allison [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

ps let me know about the zombie disc, my nephew was asking me to burn some p diddy for him…I now suspect the zombies have gotten to him. He even has fred crap durst hair now…gotta save him [img]images/smiles/icon_razz.gif[/img]

Halfman
    Participant

You know,
    I looked at this kidrockschtunk jerky with nothing more than pity in my heart. Like salami said, the kid is probably just fitting in to his current social niche. Imagine what would happen to him if all of a sudden, he was airlifted down to Clark and Belmont streets in Chicago or even down in the Triangle in North Carolina. Do you think he would all of a sudden "get with it"? I have my doubts. I think at first he would probably go into a deep depression, kinda anomie like. At that point, perhaps, he may come to desperate means and enlighten himself. But who knows. Maybe he will come to a true version of "punk" and tell the army with different uniforms to go f— off and do what he wants, kind of like salami did. I played the follower for a long time, yet I let the personal drum in my head set the beat and everything else got in step or it didn’t. Luckily, I was able to find cool folk in all walks and I still do. Diversity rules and a new status quo is no different from an old one. The idea is still the same: a reigning-in of freedom. My favorite color remains flourescent clear.

SG
    Participant

Yeah,I was talking about hmv too.When they opened a store near me 2 years ago they had alot of cool stuff,since then they pulled it off the shelves because it was`nt selling.I tried to buy up what I could but everything is so expensive it`s hard to do.
    They have Iggy and Stooges in the pop section here,the Hellacopters they had in the alt section then now in the punk section.
    They have Jim Croce in the blues section!morons!he is`nt blues!
    I tried to get a job with them,gave them a resume,maybe I can help them out,no they hire some moron.
    Sam`s are worse,they have this fred durst wannabe there,They do have one cool guy when I bought More light,I talked to him about J a few times and told him about this site,he did`nt seem interested,so I guess he`s not that cool.

Mattman
    Participant

Hmm, I’m gonna have to invent some sort of zombie-repellent CD… I’ll get to work on that.

I don’t know about the .gov issuing the Ramones… Something awful oxymoron like about that. I think the .gov wants us to be brainwashed.. [img]images/smiles/icon_eek.gif[/img] Its up to us to fight the fight. [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

I gotta say I’m proud of my friend Rob though (he’s the guy that I have wedding pictures for on my page.) He and his wife are taking care of his wife’s 13 year old niece for awhile and Rob wouldn’t let her hang an N’Sync poster on her wall. [img]images/smiles/icon_cool.gif[/img] He won’t allow that crap in the same place that he lives.

I sort of converted Rob to Dino back in highschool. It wasn’t hard though. He was already into the early 90’s alternative scene (when alternative was actually OK, he’s a HUGE Les Claypool fan) and had a few Dino songs already. I was just there to give him a little push in the right direction. [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

I even ended up giving him a copy of ‘Dinosaur’ for his 20th birthday. [img]images/smiles/icon_cool.gif[/img]

rosa
    Participant

Hello,

Salamiguy, you were saying how people got on your case for liking jazz when you were younger, and how you never cared what people thought of your taste in music. And Tony, you were saying that you’re open-minded about music unless bands get "attention that they don’t deserve". And yet both of you seem so quick to do your own labeling of people as "fake punk kids".

Now, I’m sure we all agree that many people who post reviews on Amazon are not the literate geniuses of society. But I also don’t think it’s fair to collectively dismiss any band’s entire fanbase, just because you think the music has no redeeming value.

I think Fred Durst is a bonehead who singlehandedly created the dumbest fashion statement ever, but I also think Wes Borland is pretty cool, and very smart and talented. And Korn did some really beautiful, refreshing, groundbreaking stuff on their first two albums (not that any of you have ever actually listened to them).

MTV doesn’t even accept unsolicited videos anymore, and yes, their narrow, narrow scope is chock full of air and talentless midriffs. So in that sense, I think a lot of kids are being spoonfed a lot of vacuous crap. But I also can remember being 14 or 15, and being lumped into that category, and I remember how much I hated it. Few of my favorite bands were ever even ON television or radio, so how could I be thrown into that demographic (one that was created by the media anyway)?

I really am not trying to offend anyone but I think you guys need to temper your criticism with a little bit of your own childhood experience.

That’s all,
    Rosa

SG
    Participant

The labeling of fake punk kids was a lack of coming up with a better discription.
    I could play stuff I like for my cousin until the cows come home,it does`nt mean he`s going to like it.
    If this kid likes those bands it`s ok with me,I just wish the kid would be educated on music a little more.It seems the music press labels what "punk" or "alternative" is;history of this music is`nt well told in those doctumentaries about punk,they skip from the Sex Pistols to Nirvana,they leave out a decade.Take the term "emo",it was a name to describe a type of underground punk years ago,then the music press starts labeling bands that are trying to make it big as emo,now it seems everything is called emo!kathie lee gifford-she`s emo!tom jones-he`s emo!
    All joking aside I can tolerate people`s tastes even if once in a while I might diss it,we put up with Jaron`s tastes don`t we?I usually say I`m sorry to him for dissing what he likes,if Jaron likes those bands it`s ok,I do get in a few jabs sometimes but Jaron should`nt take it so hard.I think I`ll lessen the jabs.
    I don`t like thinking about my childhood experiences,too much anger and rage to deal with,I guess that`s where punk comes in,but never really lost my love for jazz.

Mattman
    Participant

My reason for posting this thing in the first place was not only because of the labeling of the music, but also because this kid is speaking from a false position of authority. He’s telling us ‘Hey, I know what punk is, and the Minutemen are not punk.’ Or actually, more like ‘HEY I NO WUT PUNK IZ & THA MINUTEMEN ARE NOT PUNK.’ [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] His presentation of the review is half ‘THA’ fun as well… [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img]

everyonelovesjaron
    Participant

<blockquote><font>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Mattman:
    <strong>Or actually, more like ‘HEY I NO WUT PUNK IZ & THA MINUTEMEN ARE NOT PUNK.’ [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] His presentation of the review is half ‘THA’ fun as well… [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img] </strong><hr></blockquote>

It’s a sine from [email protected][email protected]~!!~!11

Oh, sorry, right joke, wrong BBS…

AGAP
    Participant

Hey,

Too funny Javro [img]images/smiles/icon_razz.gif[/img] , hope you enjoyed the holiday!!!

I agree with a lot of what people have said, can understand the pressures kids are facing developing their own identities. Adolescence can be absolute hell in the best of circumstances, wouldn’t go back given the choice…no way!!!!

Agree with Matt about the kid speaking from a position of I know something and this is my definition…speaking from a very limited knowledge base in my opinion. Salamiguy talked about this as well, about the hx of where things come from being very important in a big picture kind of way. There is a huge gap in my opinion pre/post pistols up to the Nirvana hype. It’s like the New York Dolls, Heartbreakers , Damned etc etc didn’t exist, and thats sad. People will always define things according to their own perceptions but being young does not excuse the lack of info/knowledge in the review Mattman posted.

I have listened to some Korn, sorry just didn’t work for me. I work with kids so get a pretty good earful of what they listen to from kiddie bands, metal, very rarely Sonic Youth fans. Its definitely cool with me whatever they choose, most of the time the music helps them get thru some pretty harsh circumstances which is great. I remain optimistic that some will get tired of the endless stream of manufactured bands all putting out the same bland product. Fingers Crossed [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Allison

ps Halfman, I think if they were dropped in Chicago they would probably end up searching for an army similar to the last one they were in. But given the huge amount of choices available in Chicago good chance they could easily be converted [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img] No doubt they would be a BEARS fan, so thats cool with me [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Javro

hay u kidz

i hav just got bak from mi pilgrimij to c where fred
    and the bizkits gru up 2 soke up sum ov their
    kree ay tiv jooces.

if u karnt handool the reel shit, stay out ov
    da moshpit. kneel yung and ziggy poop r layme.

get a harekut, hippeeez

AGAP
    Participant

Hey,

Just found this article on a Bob Mould site, seems to fit in this thread

http://www.citypages.com/databank/22/1083/article9800.asp

Talks about Husker Du, Replacements and the punk/hardcore thing [img]images/smiles/icon_eek.gif[/img]

Allison [img]images/smiles/icon_razz.gif[/img]

Halfman
    Participant

Allison,
    I did check out the site you posted in the last message. The article is chock full of reference points, but I will only mention a few.
    One, the references to Hermosa Beach’s punk scene was pretty nice to see, but the article points out that Black Flag was from there. According to Get in the Van, Henry Rollins’ tour journals from his time in Black Flag, he refers to Hermosa Beach as a place they would go to visit other bands and see their shows, revering their brutal approach with awe. Why would he do that if the band itself was from Hermosa Beach? I think the author of the article might be mistaken on that point.

The writer does mention the terms "social artifice" and "arbitrary authority". I thought those two phrases were perfect for this particular thread. If "artifice" is being used to indicate a false or insincere behavior, then, yes, conforming to some standard for the sole purpose of identificiation with a mass of people or to feel accepted, is a fool’s game I think we all play to some extent as a normal part of our human nature. I did it, that’s for sure, and our catalyst in this thread seems to be doing the same thing. The difference, perhaps, is that the driving forces that sustained me in the "punk" vein over time has been, of course the enjoyment of the music, and also the search for truth in all forms, especially when it comes to human relations. I do think that was the main reason I was attracted to the culture in the first place, with the social need for fellowship falling in behind that. Due to my own coarseness, I think I probably pushed a lot of people away in some of my tactless endeavors, but at the same time, I think those people who stuck with me over the years have not found many more who will give them the straight scoop, and not a sunshine-pumping factory.

As far as "arbitrary authority", I do think people conditionally give their okey-doke on things and project the same for reasons of self-glorification, present company excluded, of course [img]images/smiles/icon_razz.gif[/img] ! I think this , too, goes back to wanting to be accepted by one’s peers or being looked to as being "special". I now have to watch myself closely when I run off at the lips like our pal did. Herbert Spencer, a social philosopher from the late nineteenth century, remarked something to the effect of "contempt without investigation". I have made myself the jackass repeatedly over the years by becoming "arbitrary" in my endorsements.

Thanks for the link Allison. [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

[ September 09, 2001: Message edited by: Halfman ]

AGAP
    Participant

Hey Halfman,

Always cool to read your spin on things, I have no doubt there are some factual errors in the article. That newspaper has printed at least two nasty pieces/reviews of J/Dino, have to check if its the same guy [img]images/smiles/converted/eek.gif[/img]

I have mixed feelings about the article, some bits make sense others are kinda out there. It definitely fits with this thread as you said in terms of conforming, understand that need in kids but hopefully when maturity/independent thinking kicks in they will check out some more challenging music.

I have a similar experience to you in regards to what brought me into the punk experience, the music was the primary thing but the people I met were just as much a part of the whole thrill. I have made some of the best friends thru the whole punk/music deal, intense relationships that stand the test of geographic changes, relationships etc…very very cool.

Glad you liked the article.

Allison [img]images/smiles/converted/biggrin.gif[/img]

ps Bears did better than I expected on sunday, still sucks we can’t score. Nice to see Ray Lewis back down from Big Cat Williams, also enjoyed seeing that big siraguso(? spelling) knocked flat on his ass…too cool. [img]images/smiles/converted/tongue.gif[/img]

John Dyson
    Participant

Although I’m a little late, i just thought I’d add my thoughts to the above thread.

There will always be an "alternative" crowd, the problem being at the monent, alternative includes the likes of Limp Bizkit, Linkin Park etc.

However it is fairly easy to make the jump from this to what we would probably consider "punk".

Take the recent Leeds/ Reading festivals in the UK – alongside the nu-metal shite, played Iggy Pop, Folk Implosion, Rancid, …Trail of Dead etc.

Two of the lads at the youth club where i worked last year came back raving about Iggy. Previously the most "punk" they got was Offspring.

I think we can get too hung up on labels. The music is there if you want to look for it. We also get too hung up on the mainstream media. Most kids nowadays are internet friendly. They know where to look, and those who want to will find good stuff.

MP3s mean they can often listen without having to fork out a fortune for CDs.

So yeah there probably are morons who think Blink 182 are as punk as it gets, but have patience, the young people will get it…

Sorry if I’m ranting, just my job(s) tend to mean i hear a lot of people talking about the "kids of today" where as I’m sure they are the same as anyday!!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 44 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.