Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Gnarcissistic
    Participant

I’m a member of a couple of message boards… so i know how ‘new topic first posts’ are usually received, but here’s the deal:

i really want to play ‘Ammaring’ for this girl for her 19th birthday. I have a year to learn it, distortion, techniques, solos and all.

Is there anyone that can help with this? I’ll definitely be contributing more to this forum, don’t worry about that. I’ve lurked for a while, but this happens to be my first post.

Thanks in advance!

andyfest
    Participant

Not sure how accurate this is as I haven’t tried playing it myself but here’s some (apparently) complete tab for ya:
    http://www.chordie.com/chord.pere/www.guitaretab.com/d/dinosaur-jr/33630.html

Welcome to the board!

Yeah Right
    Participant

That’s pretty much how I play it. In terms of distorion, try a Big Muff, but it sounds pretty nice acoustic too.

This video might help.

Gnarcissistic
    Participant
    "andyfest" wrote:
    Not sure how accurate this is as I haven’t tried playing it myself but here’s some (apparently) complete tab for ya:
    http://www.chordie.com/chord.pere/www.guitaretab.com/d/dinosaur-jr/33630.html

Welcome to the board!

yeah, i’ve been using that and i’ve got it down pretty good. but the thing i’m really focused on is j’s epic 4 minute solo.

"Yeah Right" wrote:
    That’s pretty much how I play it. In terms of distorion, try a Big Muff, but it sounds pretty nice acoustic too.

This video might help.

Yeah! i have that video favorited and plan on using it to write out all the little details. should be quite an effort, but i think the final product will be worth it.

Thanks!

Rumpy
    Participant

it’s pretty safe to bet that J’s solo is improvised, so there’s no point attempting to grab it note for note. write your own, or improvise your own ;) you said you have a year – try recording one ammaring solo a day and coming up with the ultimate take based on what you have down (the david gilmour way of doing solos for records, and I say it’s pretty dam good – captures you soloing organically, not being all semi-calculated as you focus on writing it, and then you just glue the best of it together).

also, be warned that J uses big muffs… but J uses old big muffs, and you’ll have to slowly get used to the fact that getting one of those is equivalent to coughing up a few hundred bucks on ebay. but, to add further problems, J uses effects other than the big muff too :D I say – quit attempting to do a direct clone, and instead of doing a note-for-note Mascis "Ammaring" replica, do a Garcissistic "Ammaring" take with your own solo, your own tone… :)

Gnarcissistic
    Participant
    "Rumpy" wrote:
    it’s pretty safe to bet that J’s solo is improvised, so there’s no point attempting to grab it note for note. write your own, or improvise your own ;) you said you have a year – try recording one ammaring solo a day and coming up with the ultimate take based on what you have down (the david gilmour way of doing solos for records, and I say it’s pretty dam good – captures you soloing organically, not being all semi-calculated as you focus on writing it, and then you just glue the best of it together).

also, be warned that J uses big muffs… but J uses old big muffs, and you’ll have to slowly get used to the fact that getting one of those is equivalent to coughing up a few hundred bucks on ebay. but, to add further problems, J uses effects other than the big muff too :D I say – quit attempting to do a direct clone, and instead of doing a note-for-note Mascis "Ammaring" replica, do a Garcissistic "Ammaring" take with your own solo, your own tone… :)

Awesome man! i never really thought of it like that… glad i caught this before i went all robotic with direct replication.

Last request:

any recommendations for replicating his distortion without giving away my wallet?

Rumpy
    Participant

why replicate if you can be you too? search for your own fuzz tone win. check out devi ever… some win stuff there :]

http://www.deviever.com/”>http://www.deviever.com/

some stuff that may interest you – the hyperion, and the vintage fuzz master. I’m using the us fuzz myself, but its rather specific and somewhat uncontrollable velcro squelch is pretty far removed from the huge sustaining fuzz you’d want for a mascis replica… knock around the site a bit, maybe you’ll find something there for you?

just in case you get tempted towards fuzz factories – I heard opinions that the vexter series has a cheaper circuit than the handpainted, not what the guy claims. just so that you’re warned… ;)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.