Home Forums General Discussions Open Topic Alvaro, tapeworms and J’s broken legs..all in one day

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Annastefka
    Participant

Okay guys, I put this up on my FB but I must tell my Alvaro at the doctor story. My son broke his arm so we headed for the hospital this afternoon. On the way there Alvaro told me about a book that his teacher got for the class called “disgusting animals” (or something like that) and Alvaro asked me: “Have you ever heard of a tapeworm?” I told him I had. He was sitting there holding his arm in place, staring out the window and he said “they are disgusting” and that was the end of our discussion, I was worried about him and driving so I wasn’t into carrying on much discourse at that point …then as they were getting ready to take him to do the x-ray, he asked the doctor…”Can you also look inside my stomach to see if I have a tapeworm…..BECAUSE…. (I knew right then what ever was going to follow that word was going to be a doozy) …he said “I’ve heard you can have a tapeworm and not know it and it can grow so large that it comes out of your mouth and eats the food right off your plate”. The doctor was “LHAO”! Then to make Alvaro feel better, I told him…”I just read recently that J Mascis broke both of his legs skiing when he was YOUR age”…..and with total sincerity in his voice (it’s a water sign thing) he said…”Oh my God, is he Okay”? and I said…”Yes, it happened when he was young and he is now close to my age” and then Alvaro said…(totally snarky) “I heard you say that already Mom, but can he walk”? “Of course he can walk Alvaro…you’ve seen J can walk”, and he said…..”No, I’m sure I’ve only seen him standing up playing the guitar” “What if his legs can only do standing now but not walking” (bless his heart he was worried that he would never be able to ride a bike again)……I was laughing so hard and I told him…”I’ve seen J walk!” and then he said……”Are you sure….think about it really hard” Alvaro….YOU CRACK ME UP….everybody needs one of you!

Come to think of it…..;)

terryfunku
    Participant

I thought that it was because they liked a lot of older bands and sounds, hence “dinosaur” music. The “Jr” was added when a bunch of hippies sued them over the name. Earlier in the 80’s a collective of Woodstock-era bands christened themselves Dinosaur. So, after You’re Living All Over Me the “Jr” was attached.

Annastefka
    Participant

Oh terryfunku…..Tony Raines is “special” kind of Freakscener…….special like me but squared! Everytime I drive down to the Islands of GA I go through the kaolin area……I love the mineral green water that is the result of that.

Hybridge
    Participant

Tony, you can find Dinosaur Fossils on ebay.

Dinosaurs wasn’t just a bunch of hippies, they were the cream of the psychedelic bands and were exactly incredible live; saw them many times at free shows in the park and at local clubs in my teens/early 20s. I saw Barry Melton play with his band (he’s playing with members of the Youngbloods and the Blues Project now) a year or two ago at a little venue in the redwoods and he sat next to us for a while; I wanted to ask him why he sued Dinosaur over the name but didn’t get the chance; next time.

Hope Alvaro feels better soon. Arnica’s good. I roller skated down some gravel-covered stairs and broke my arm in 2 places (one should avoid those places) when I was 13. My arm looked like a Warner Brothers cartoon broken bone with a stair-shaped bend. When I got to the hospital I didn’t want the doctor to inject the anesthesia into the broken bone because it looked too painful so they re-set the arm with no anesthetic. Big mistake! Not sure why they listened to my opinion on it. Since then, I’ve broken ligaments, elbows, lacerated tendons, done the natural childbirth thing, and not much compares agony-wise to having your bones set straight. Live and learn!

empire3

Is there a cipher for this thread ?:)

Annastefka
    Participant

Hybridge….Wow, you mentioned natural child birth….are you speaking of a partners natural birth? Just wondering because all this time I suspected you were a boy. I’m a big fan of unmedicated births, you have so much energy right after the baby is born…I was trained by a wonderful nurse/midwife who taught me pain in birth is a sign that you need to change positions…when you are unmedicated it’s easy to feel….when you change to a productive position the pain is alleviated. You help the baby “find” the correct position by squatting and moving. One of my proudest moments…after my first birth, I had a baby in one arm and I was down on the floor cleaning up the mess I had made…..blood and water and chunks of goop everywhere. My beautiful nurse/midwife said “oh no, please relax, we have people who will do that” and I was like “Yuk, nobody should have to do that” With my third…I’m having a freakscene sharing moment, my midwife invited a few nursing students in to watch a baby being born while the Mother was not on a bed but instead squatting on the floor……suddenly I yelled..”OH GOD PLEASE HELP ME, I’ve changed my mind I NEED something for pain RIGHT NOW” and she said…. “It’s too late for that sweetheart, I’m looking at a forehead full of blond hair”. After having two kids with dark hair, I was so excited to see this blond baby and her words gave me the strength I needed for that final push which is the hardest one. Hit it Tony……..and then pass it.

Hybridge
    Participant

Annastefka, I have lady parts and I gave birth to my kids, though I let the nurse midwife spiff up the delivery room afterwards. Kudos to you for multi-tasking–impressive!

Annastefka
    Participant

I had no idea….it makes me so happy to know that you are a girl. Alvaro broke his arm on Easter Sunday…….but after he fell……he came running up to me and said “Mom, I hurt my arm”……I asked him “Can you move it?”….he could. Can you move your fingers…wrist…he could. Then he jumped on his bike and started riding. As he was riding he said…”Riding my bike makes my arm hurt Mom”….Well, his Dad looked at me and said “Ummm, he wouldn’t be riding his bike right now if his arm was broken, and that’s what we thought, he never stopped moving or using his arm, in fact he was playing the Wii with his cousins, totally getting down with both arms later on that day, so I had NO idea that his arm was broken…#MOMFAIL………I took him into his Doctor almost two weeks later because he woke up in the middle of the night crying. Thank God, his doctor told me that happens a lot with little kids. So guess what…….now, we have to go into surgery this Friday to “reset” his arm. He broke his radius up near the wrist. I am kicking myself…like how could I not know my son’s arm was broken. Why didn’t it hurt him more…his teacher was cracking up, she said..Alvaro’s been doing PE, playing ball etc. He did tell her…”it hurts when I try and do the monkey bars”….Good God, I can’t even believe he was on the monkey bars with a broken radius. All my friends tell me….he’s going to be my “wildcard”. Oh, Hybridge, thanks for the re-set info. The doctor wanted to do Alvaro’s reset in the office with nothing for pain. I asked him…”Will that hurt” and he laughed and said…”it’s going to hurt like it does when you break your arm….we always suggest that the Mom’s go outside and sit in your car because he’s probably going to yell pretty good but it will help us avoid putting him to sleep”……and I only thought about it for a couple of seconds and I said…”That sounds BARBARIC, I think I’ll pass on the third world country type of reset”….When I got home and told my husband he was sort of pissed at me. He said, “you should have let the doctor go ahead and reset in the office…think about what this surgery is going to cost” Well, I say, that’s why God made Mom’s Mom’s and Dad’s Dad’s. My husband said…”Life for a man is not all about Mama’s hugs and kisses and cookies….it’s about time he learned all that” (uhh, he’s 7)….Oh, hell no! Can you imagine if his Dad had taken him to the orthopedic? The doctor would have said…”I can do this reset right here…..it’s gonna hurt like hell….because he has some new bone growth already, I’m going to have to break that up as well….and my husband would have been like…”cool, lets do this thing, I have a hammer out in my truck, can I get a discount if I do it instead of you?” My husband has this Latin third world country mentality about so many things. God help me! [-O< [-O< [-O< [-O< [-O<

girl
    Participant

It’s been too long since I’ve been here. But since I can’t find my keys I think now is the perfect time to catch up. Plus holler! to all the ladies here.

Stef, a few years back I broke my left wrist and I too didn’t think it was broken because I could move it and I thought “well it doesn’t hurt so much and I’m not screaming in pain so it can’t be that bad”. But then after a few days it started to turn all purple and me not being part eggplant thought that that probably wasn’t a good sign and went to the doctor. They took an X-ray and then the doctor scolded me and said “Look what you did to yourself”. I had a complete break through my radius at my wrist. Go figure. Then it took another week before I could even get a cast. Bodies are weird.

Hope Alvaro makes a speedy recovery and is back to riding bikes and falling asleep next to little goats as soon as possible.

And sure you can get Dinosaur Fossils on eBay and probably regular dinosaur fossils but wouldn’t it be exponentially cooler if you could get Dinosaur jr fossils on eBay?! Like if J, Lou and Murph were frozen in carbonite Han Solo style! I would conquer and destroy eBay if I could get my hands on those.

essgee09
    Participant

Tony is back!Girl is back! We just need Robert to return eh?

essgee09
    Participant

Sorry to hear about the dental problems.Hang in there

I hope Tonas and PunkyJ come back too

girl
    Participant

Freakscene reunion!

We can all wear name tags and see how old and fat we all got :ar!

Tony, hope everything turns out well. And if you feel like you need to change your name due to your situation you should add a few more Tony’s instead! Like a 90’s r&b group.

Hybridge
    Participant

Girl is right (hollaback Girl), Annastefka– injuries can be subtle and it’s easy to not know something’s wrong right away. I’ve pedaled home with a bent rim and a broken radial head. Speaking of which, Levi Leipheimer got hit by a car on a training ride in Spain a couple of weeks ago and they didn’t know his fibula was broken until he got back to the US. As for shunning anesthesia, not sure why kids should have to feel heavy pain if it’s avoidable, plenty of time for misery when they’re bigger (‘aguántate’ is kind of an adult concept).

Annastefka
    Participant

Yay…..it’s a girl thing around here. I only have one other girlfriend that I can talk Dinosaur Jr stuff with and she lives in Alabama. Alvaro’s arm is set to grow in the correct direction now….but as luck would have it, when it rains it pours, my youngest daughter Tiger was in Florida on a trip with kids from school and they called me this morning at 7 AM to say they were taking her to into the emergency room. She was very sick and couldn’t speak to me. It was terrible having her so far away from me. She is okay now and on her way back to Athens. That was scary. I remember having the biological desire to have children….and I wanted to big family…..I just didn’t play the tape forward enough to include all the worries and anxieties this would provide me. Aguántate = concept I hadn’t thought about in a while…thanks for reminding me. 🙂

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.