Home Forums General Discussions Open Topic Album Covers

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author

SG
    Participant

I think we agreed before that Green Mind was Dino Jr`s best album cover,but what about other bands?
    Here`s a list of some cool album covers:
    Beatles-White Album- very simple
    Rolling Stones-Exile On Main Street-a bunch of pictures
    Jimi Hendrix-Axis Bold As Love-good example of late 60`s album covers
    Jackie McLean-Demon`s Dance-strange cover for a jazz album
    Stooges-Fun House-my fav Stooges album cover,the debut or Raw Power did`nt have as good a cover.
    Velvet Underground And Nico-Andy Warhol`s famous banana cover

Those all are from the 60`s,I guess that`s when people were thinking about album covers as art more then what they were before,alot of bands no longer had a picture of them anymore unlike past album covers-the faceless band thing.
    I`ll come up with more later,see what all of you can think up.

maxini
    Participant

I really like those album covers too Salami, except for the Jackie McLean one which I haven’t seen.

Here’s a few off the top of my head:

Miles Davies – Bitches Brew (made me buy the album w/o really knowing what it was)
    Sonic Youth – Daydream Nation (simple but classic)
    Sonic Youth – Evol (made my mom worried about me when I still lived at home [img]images/smiles/converted/biggrin.gif[/img] )
    Television – Marquee Moon + Adventure (no fuss, just great pics of the band)
    John Coltrane – A Love Supreme (killer b/w pic of the man)
    Pixes – Surfer Rosa
    Beastie Boys – Paul’s Boutique
    Prefab Sprout – Steve McQueen

I’m forgetting loads, but I’ll stop here. Btw, Green Mind may be the greatest Dino cover, but You’re Living All Over Me is also one of the coolest covers around.

Hmm, these are all great albums, anyone got an album w/ a real cool cover but shitty music? I can’t think of any right now.

rosa
    Participant

My favorite has always been the Santana’s Greatest Hits cover (the black man holding the dove); don’t know why but I always find myself staring at it in record stores.

I also have this album that’s a compilation of different artists covering Henry Mancini’s songs; the cover is a picture of Rose McGowan sitting at a bar, holding a gun. I love it.

When I was little I used to play with my parents’ copy of Some Girls by the Rolling Stones. The album cover was a bunch of hairdos with the faces cut out; the record sleeve itself was printed with all different faces so you could mix & match them with the hairdos. I apparently used to drag it around the house. I don’t know whether the cd has the same cutouts but I kind of doubt it.

Rosa (not a surfer) [img]images/smiles/converted/wink.gif[/img]

sappy
    Participant

i like the cover to Mogwai – Come on Die Young; very scary face indeed..

sappy (windsurfer)
    :O)

everyonelovesjaron
    Participant

Nirvana – Nevermind – the pure message in the cover alone spoke a great deal about the grunge movement and what Cobain was trying to say.
    Smashing Pumpkins – Pisces Iscariot – kind of ironic to put Cobain’s wife eating a cherry on an album about how he sold out his generation. I like irony.
    Pink Floyd – the Wall – the original vinyl of course is what I mean.
    Cranberries – No Need To argue – Simplicity.
    Green Day – Dookie – lot going on in this album cover. Anti-simplicity.

A few more, I’m sure, I will come back with later.

AGAP
    Participant

Hey,

My current fav is the cover to The Damned vinyl release of Machine Gun Etiquette…gotta love that pink outfit Capatain Sensible is wearing [img]images/smiles/converted/biggrin.gif[/img]

Johnny Thunders..So Alone
    New York Dolls…Too Much Too Soon
    Saints…Eternally Yours

Worst cover I have for a vinyl bootleg is Iggy & Ziggy, Iggy and Bowie live in Seattle 77
    side by side naked pics of both of them [img]images/smiles/converted/eek.gif[/img] at least bowie has a coat on [img]images/smiles/converted/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Allison [img]images/smiles/converted/biggrin.gif[/img]

K7 Rides Again
    Participant

I don’t know about cool but definately very provacative. Rage Against the Machine’s 1st one with the monk on fire. When I finally learned what that picture was of/about, a great sense of something came over me…just the true dedication some have to protesting wrongs within our societies…to truly believe in something so much that this person was willing to lose his life like that…that is true power and will…that is true believing…

everyonelovesjaron
    Participant

I agree entirely Kurticus. We are all nieve to have the oversight to forget that.

I think that cover, along with Rage’s second, really spoke of how the music was formulated in terms of the message. The first, much as you said, was about dying for a cause, the second, was more about how the media had made rebellion, indeed the act of raging against the machine, something "cool" for kids. Less meaning, sort of. Just my two cents.

K7 Rides Again
    Participant

ah ha, but that monks intention was not to destroy. yes, I see where your going with the fanatic thing but he was peaceful, his message was just. His (the monk’s) message was to protest wrongdoing, not create it. His was a message of peace. And to burn himself to death to prove his point…to just sit there and burn, he didn’t run around screaming, he just sat…that is true believing…that is being one with all that is around us…he had achieved a much higher level of consciousness and inner peace that the rest of us will forever dream about. That is true dedication…and in this case I belive highly worthy of our respect. He was their to protest the hurting of people, rather than hurting people to protest…

<FONT>[ October 10, 2001 11:46 PM: 1 kurticus7 ]</font>

Robert
    Participant

Well said kurticus!

My favourite covers would have to be all of the Motorpsycho covers. Kim Hiortøy’s artwork is excellent! Some pics to show you all what I’m talking about:

Timothys Monster
    front http://motorpsycho.fix.no/images/tim1.gif
    back http://motorpsycho.fix.no/images/tim2.gif

Mountain EP http://motorpsycho.fix.no/images/mount.jpg

The Nerve Tattoo http://motorpsycho.fix.no/images/nerve.jpg

Blissard http://motorpsycho.fix.no/images/bliss.jpg

Sinful Windborne http://motorpsycho.fix.no/thisis/pictures/knoot/sinfulcovera.jpg

And there’s plenty more at http://motorpsycho.fix.no/thisis/pictures/

Pavements Slanted and Enchanted is also great.

SG
    Participant

I think the best cover for Pavement was the Major Leagues ep.

Some more from me:
    Drop 19`s-Deleware-an 11 year old girl with a gun.
    Giant Sand-a desert picture in New Mexico
    Acetone-I guess I would-desert highway,maybe in Arizona?
    Squirrel Bait-self titled-Brian MacMahon of SB/Slint/For Carnation eating his walkman at 9 years old.
    Slint-Spiderland-the Slint guys heads above water,the photo was taken by Will Oldham
    Palace Brothers-Days In The Wake-picture of Will(I think)in the dark

You can check these album covers out at allmusic.com

sappy
    Participant

<BLOCKQUOTE><font>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jaron:
    <STRONG>
    Smashing Pumpkins – Pisces Iscariot – kind of ironic to put Cobain’s wife eating a cherry on an album about how he sold out his generation. I like irony.
    </STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

huh?
    thats a picture of James Iha on the front isn’t it? And how is it about kurt? i thought it was just a collection of rarities and B-sides to bridge the gap between siamese dream and Mellon Collie..

everyonelovesjaron
    Participant

Sappy – it’s Courtney Love, not James. She has a cherry in her mouth. Some think it’s James but Courtney confirmed it was her, and James has never done so. The album title is about how Cobain, a Pisces, sold out, Iscariot. At least that’s the commonly believed idea.

Malcolm – Most fans dislike the MCIS cover. We’re bigger on Siamese or Pisces.

everyonelovesjaron
    Participant

I have no idea why courtney love does anything. Billy, of course, could be lying – it wouldn’t be the first time he’s pulled everyone’s chains (see also: former supposed lyrics to Bury Me).

Corgan wrote Hole’s latest album "Celebrity Skin."

Or as the funny voice over for Love on heavy.com’s Behind the Music put it: "Not true! Those 2 second gaps between the songs… all mine!"

rosa
    Participant

I hate to get off topic, but Billy Corgan seems too self-centered to dedicate an entire album title to tearing down one of his musical peers.

Billy Corgan is a Pisces as well, lest we forget.

Courtney is a psycho. On a funny note, I have a friend who maintains that she killed Kurt because he wouldn’t let her be in the band. Sick, I know, but would you really be surprised?

xo
    Rosa

p.s. being self-centered is not always a bad thing; just making my point.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.