Home Forums Musicians & D.I.Y. Artists Guitar Room Acoustic Guitars

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

sappy
    Participant

Where can i get a descent White acoustic guitar for about £200? What acoustic guitars are the best? Gibson?

alan ciccone
    Participant

it really depends on personal prefernce i like gibson acoustics and if u look around u should find a decent affordable one….i tink martin are the best but theyre damm expensive

rosa
    Participant

Hey there Sappy,

I’m no expert, but I am with Tony; Takamines are reasonably priced, super-easy to play and they sound shweeeet….can be a little tinny, but thicker strings can usually remedy that. The Takamines also have a really unique shape that I haven’t seen in other makes; really comfortable to hold sitting down or standing. Lots of females that I know prefer them for their shape (but I’m assuming you’re a guy, so you don’t have to worry about the boob factor [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img] )

Also keep in mind that the tactile appeal of acoustics can be adjusted by switching the strings. I play a Gibson; they do feel rather thick at first, but I use phosphor bronze strings which makes the sound & action a lot more crisp.

But as with any product, individual taste varies; you really gotta just dedicate an afternoon to going to the store and trying out as many as you can get your hands on. You can find decent guitars for a couple hundred here in the States; shouldn’t be too hard where you are either.

Good luck,
    Rosa

Randy Jane
    Participant

I like my Martin! I also like my (girl) friends Jewel sig Taylor…plays really nice and was surely a billion bucks, but my Martin is a Shenandoah (80’s Martin Squier basically….but better than that sounds!) D-28-32. Its kind of hard to play, I like that though. Carlo Robelli or whatever makes some cool looking guitars i think…look on Ebay for those.

rosa
    Participant

Hey Tony,

I have no idea what model my Gibson is; I’ve looked it up (via serial number) in several databases, to no avail.

The old guy that gave it to me said that it was either a 1966 or ’67. He’d put these decals on it, by the pegs; one is a dragon and the other is a tiger. When I was home (NY) this summer, we ran into each other at an open mic and he laughed at me for keeping the decals; he said "I thought for sure the first thing you’d do was take em off". But I like them, they add history & character.

The body is pretty small, which fits me just fine. I was having the thick-sound problem, but a friend of mine who owns a guitar shop recommended the phosphor bronze strings– man, what a difference.

I use medium-gauge strings (I tend to break the light ones), and I use Dunlop nylon pics in a variety of widths (depending on what kind of sound I want).

Man, I love my guitar. You should see it; the headstock has been broken & glued back together, and half the tuning pegs were reapplied at an angle. It’s my mutant child.

xo
    Rosa

Matty qui-9
    Participant

Taylor’s are certainly king of acoustics, although they are pricey. martin’s are also really nice.

PeteSome
    Participant

I had a nice-ish wesfield electro-accoustic which cost about £200. But I smashed it in a fit of rage. So now I’ve got a Fender DG-3 which cost about half of that, but there are some good budget-y fenders around at the moment, plus they come with different colours, which is always nice.

sappy
    Participant

thanx for all ur help guys, definitely assisted me in my search for the perfect acoustic..

oh and Rosa, some men have boobs..

rosa
    Participant

Ahh, so many guitars, so little money. [img]images/smiles/icon_sad.gif[/img]

I don’t like Ovations; the frets are so tiny. I mean, I have small hands and I find them tricky. And they have that rounded, plastic back that I hate; even if I have the strap nice & snug, a plastic-back will slide out from under itself so it’s basically in my lap. I hate that.

<blockquote><font>quote

Quote:
    I see what yer saying though , rosa , the boob can rest against the guitar adding to the reverberation . Try it , only after you strike a chord press your fist against the body and her the sound change . Press hard enough and get a whammy effect .

Not sure exactly what the hell you’re talking about here T….are you saying that my breasts can be used as an effects device?? [img]images/smiles/icon_eek.gif[/img] Never thought of it that way; wonder if Hendrix ever considered adding prosthetics to enhance his sound.

The best thing to do, if you’re a female & you play, is to find a guitar where one boob can rest in the little narrow part of the body. (You’ll have a curved red line on your chest but it’s a painless price to pay.) If a guitar is too big, or just too wide through the middle, you will find yourself unpleasantly crushed. [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

take care
    Rosa

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.