Home Forums Dinosaur Related Discussions Dinosaur/J News & Discussions A new J solo album in the works?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    King Tubby
    Participant

Stumbled across this in an article on Sweetapple:

Mascis is currently touring Europe with Dinosaur Jr. and putting the finishing touches on a solo album for Sub Pop Records

Nice!

Here’s the original article: http://valleyadvocate.com/article.cfm?aid=11793

empire3

Awesome ! – I LOVED beyond and found Farm great, But there are no standout tracks for me…..

Pick me up/We’re not alone and What if I knew are I think some of the best stuff J/dino has Ever done,
    I struggle to pick a classic from Farm…Although I jog along to it most days.

With that in mind, I wonder – knowing – that this album was coming J might hold back some songs rather than (in my opinion) stuff Farm with all the gems…

Very cynical I know :(

King Tubby
    Participant

Funny — I think "What If I Knew" is one of the limpest tunes J’s ever written, and while "Pick Me Up" has a great main riff, I don’t think it’s much of a song per se.

I think Farm, on the other hand, features some of J’s strongest writing (musically, anyway — the lyrics sound tossed off) since the very early ’90s.

As the Romans used to say, de gustabis non est disputandum — there’s no arguing about tastes.

Whatever the case, I highly doubt that J held what he considers "A-list" material for his solo album. He just writes, and records the songs he thinks are good enough to record.

It’ll sure be nice to have some new material from him to listen to.

Robert
    Participant
    "King Tubby" wrote:
    I think Farm, on the other hand, features some of J’s strongest writing (musically, anyway — the lyrics sound tossed off) since the very early ’90s.

I agree. I find Farm to be a monster of an album, exceeding my expectations and hopes with about a mile. Though as you say, the lyrics doesn’t seem to have been high on the priority list, but if I remember correctly J said in an interview in the 90’s that he wrote the melodies and didn’t give the lyrics much thought until it was nearing recording time.

Considering the quality of his output these past years I’m really looking forward to a new solo album.

Frenchboy
    Participant

I wish a new album with :

– Vocals in "More Light" (album)
    – Melodic Songs like "Beyond" (album)
    – Lead parts from "Green Mind" (album)
    – Rythm parts from "Farm" (album)
    – Instruments experiences just like "Hand it Over" (album)

Anyone agree ?! :)

empire3
    "Frenchboy" wrote:
    I wish a new album with :

– Vocals in "More Light" (album)
    – Melodic Songs like "Beyond" (album)
    – Lead parts from "Green Mind" (album)
    – Rythm parts from "Farm" (album)
    – Instruments experiences just like "Hand it Over" (album)

Anyone agree ?! :)

I would only change ‘lead parts’ to Where you been and also add the production from where you been, I love the overall feel to that record.

But the rest agree, especially the bit about hand it over, I like the experimentation of instruments and wish J would throw some more piano & trumpet (or even banjo :D )down on tracks, It worked so well, I’m insane would scare me if someone described it to me before I heard it, But to me its the standout track on the album.

goodguyalso
    Participant

I hope the new J Solo album has Loo on Bass, Murph on Drums and 2 Barlow tracks. :D

Frenchboy
    Participant
    Quote:
    I would only change ‘lead parts’ to Where you been and also add the production from where you been, I love the overall feel to that record.

Where You Been maybe is the only Dino Album I don’t know well. doubtless because I don’t own the record but a downloaded version (Yeah I love listening to Dino drivin’ my car).
    Really love the masterpieces "Out There" and "Not the Same from this album. The general mood is obviously sad and I prefer the happy Mascis ( "I don’t think so, Almost Ready" …)

PS : because of you I’m listening right know to this album, and you’re right, the production is epic !

kbrechin
    Participant

Will this be an album with The Fog?

DigitalDogParty
    Participant

I think I would love an acoustic album from J. He really seems to make amazing music; electric or not. I want him to experiment here and really create some heartwarming music like…"Take A Run At The Sun". Just some mellow stuff that’s either light or acoustic would be nice.

Of course, if it was electric, then I’m fine with that. I just want to see every possibility that J can meet or create.

Annastefka
    Participant
    "DigitalDogParty" wrote:
    I want him to experiment here

but not get too experimental, like say Neil Young’s weird electronic thing he did in the 80’s which, by the "GOG"
    I don’t recall the name of. :lol:

essgee09
    Participant
    "Annastefka" wrote:
    "DigitalDogParty" wrote:
    I want him to experiment here

but not get too experimental, like say Neil Young’s weird electronic thing he did in the 80’s which, by the "GOG"
    I don’t recall the name of. :lol:

Trans

foona2
    Participant

I am huge fan of Dinosaurs but J Mascis (solo) may be to need more attention in ears if He just do simple album.

alosaur
    Participant
    "foona2" wrote:
    I am huge fan of Dinosaurs but J Mascis (solo) may be to need more attention in ears if He just do simple album.

?

Annastefka
    Participant
    "essgee09" wrote:
    Trans

Yikes…that was it….

"foona2" wrote:

definitely lost in translation… :lol:

that said:
    I too am big fan of little dinosaurs we to call them chickens for to get attention my ears to cry they make morning so I feed them so good and simple before to go out and bring the bug to own stomach they do.

I for listen to some bootleg dinosaur jr this day after the lunch it was nice! :lol:

I do hope come across mean I not because for to just fun I try and make.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 47 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.