Home Forums General Discussions Open Topic 48 crash // my computer has lost his mind

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Hansione
    Participant

My 5 year old computer, compaq and never a problemchild has lost his mind. While surfing it crashed. When I started it up again, the screen showed 3 minutes the compaq-logo and then the following message:
    Operating system not found on any devices.

What can I do? I am not a N*E*R*D :lol: Anyone has a good sugestion??

This laptop is Ok too but there is a lot of info that I have not back-uped :twisted:

Robert
    Participant

what kind of os du you run?
    get a hold of a boot disk for that os. that should fix you right up.
    good luck, those mishaps allways suck!

Bucky Ramone
    Participant

Maybe some of these Google results will offer some help….. :roll:

Anthony
    Participant

"while surfing it crashed"
    –that could be the problem there.

virus could have taken over the boot partition or other areas of the hard disk.

these days, if you have a computer on the internet, you need updated virus defenitions daily and operating system updates need to be intalled when they are available.
    and a firewall.

if it’s windows 98, i’d leave it unplugged :)

have a good weekend :)

there’s also a phenomenon in the computer world called "chip creap" where over time your cable to the hard drive comes loose and needs to be re-seated.
    but since it died while surfing, the chip creap is highly-unlikely.
    but, still worth checking out… could save a butt-load of time troubleshooting.

Mattman
    Participant

I hate to put this idea forward… I really do… but your hard drive may have kicked the bucket. Let’s hope not though. :( :cry:

Hansione
    Participant

Thanks! Found a lot of people on Google with teh same problem. Tomorrow I have a day-off. Gonna try everything. I let you know about the result!

Robert
    Participant

good luck Hansione! Hopefully it’s nothing major like a destroyed hd. It didn’t make a sort of clicking or whining zuuit sound before the problem started, did it? Hopefully not :)

Hansione
    Participant
    "Robert" wrote:
    good luck Hansione! Hopefully it’s nothing major like a destroyed hd. It didn’t make a sort of clicking or whining zuuit sound before the problem started, did it? Hopefully not :)

No sound at all, the first time I have a problem with it. Computers are strange things. As long as they are doing what they should, it feels like it will last forever and the suddenly. Are they humanoids after all :mrgreen:

Robert
    Participant

yeah, I know exactly what you mean :mrgreen: I struggled with my computer a lot this spring, everything appeared to be fine, still it didn’t work as it shoul, harddrives popping in and out of existence etc. And then it turned out that 1 of my ide cables(the ones from the motherboard to the drives,) were cracked and damaged, and thus only working from time to time. When I changed it all went back to normal.

+ a good lecture from Anthony on drivemapping or whatever it’s called helped a lot too :)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.