Home Forums General Discussions Open Topic 411…can you…

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

K7 Rides Again
    Participant

name this song and artist? The lyrics go…
    you don’t know me…I am just one of your many "?" you don’t own me…I am just one of your many toys… and don’t tell me what to do…and don’t tell me what to say…and please when I go out with you…don’t put me on display…’cuz I’m young and I love being young…
    sorry, that’s all the lines I know…if any one can give me some info, it’s greatly appreciated…thanx…kurtis

<FONT>[ August 17, 2001 08:21 PM: Message mutated 1 time, lastly by kurticus7 ]</font>

everyonelovesjaron
    Participant

You Don’t Own Me by Joan Jett for one although I think someone did it before that.

everyonelovesjaron
    Participant

Lesley Gore did the original, I’ve found, back in 1963.

LYRICS:

You don’t own me, I’m not just one of your many toys
    You don’t own me, don’t say I can’t go with other boys

And don’t tell me what to do
    And don’t tell me what to say
    And please, when I go out with you
    Don’t put me on display, ’cause

You don’t own me, don’t try to change me in any way
    You don’t own me, don’t tie me down ’cause I’d never stay

Oh, I don’t tell you what to say
    I don’t tell you what to do
    So just let me be myself
    That’s all I ask of you

I’m young and I love to be young
    I’m free and I love to be free
    To live my life the way I want
    To say and do whatever I please

And don’t tell me what to do
    Oh don’t tell me what to say
    And please, when I go out with you
    Don’t put me on display

I don’t tell you what to say
    Oh don’t tell you what to do
    So just let me be myself
    That’s all I ask of you

I’m young and I love to be young
    I’m free and I love to be free
    To live my life the way I want

Bucky Ramone
    Participant

….and it was covered by Dusty Springfield, Klaus Nomi (don’t think I want to hear that one), Joan Jett and the Blow Monkeys (on the soundtrack of Dirty Dancing…). This information is from the excellent book "the Originals" by a Belgian guy called Arnold Rypens, which gives information of about 7500 original songs, and their covers.

Dinosaur Jr. is mentioned covering:
    Feel a whole lot better (Byrds)
    Hot Buritto #2 (Flying Burrito Brothers)
    Show me the way (Peter Frampton)

He also has a website: The Originals Homepage

everyonelovesjaron
    Participant

<BLOCKQUOTE><font>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by den buck:
    <STRONG>….and it was covered by Dusty Springfield, Klaus Nomi (don’t think I want to hear that one), Joan Jett and the Blow Monkeys (on the soundtrack of Dirty Dancing…). This information is from the excellent book "the Originals" by a Belgian guy called Arnold Rypens, which gives information of about 7500 original songs, and their covers.

Dinosaur Jr. is mentioned covering:
    Feel a whole lot better (Byrds)
    Hot Buritto #2 (Flying Burrito Brothers)
    Show me the way (Peter Frampton)

He also has a website: The Originals Homepage</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

*Muttering under breathe: book, I didn’t need no stinkin’ book… why in my days, we had to walk 3 miles in the snow both ways to figure out who covered a song, and we liked it…*

Bucky Ramone
    Participant

Hi ELJ,
    The nice thing about this book is that it isn’t just a list of originals and covers, but it also has a lot of background stories about the songs and artists who performed them. Back in the good old days when I was young we were having long nights of discussions about topics like this indeed…. [img]images/smiles/converted/wink.gif[/img]

SG
    Participant

Thanks for mentioning "You don`t own me";should have put that to my Musical recycling thread.
    Shudder To Think once did a song called "Own Me" which is based on the Leslie Gore song,so might want to check on that out;it`s on their "Pony Express Record" album.They put their own lyrics to it and kind of wreck the original.
    I will check out that site,den buck;thanks for mentioning it.

Bucky Ramone
    Participant

A small word of warning: the originals website is just an addition to the book (which is only available in Holland and Belgium, as it is written in Dutch). The site only contains updates and additions to the book, so you might not find certain originals and covers…

everyonelovesjaron
    Participant

<STRONG>A small word of warning: the originals website is just an addition to the book (which is only available in Holland and Belgium, as it is written in Dutch). The site only contains updates and additions to the book, so you might not find certain originals and covers…</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ah… that explains alot. Thanks for that info (I was beginning to think the site just plain sucked).

K7 Rides Again
    Participant

well everybody involved…thanx for all the info and ELJ thanx for taking the time to write out all the lyrics so now I don’t have to go looking for them. I absolutely love this song (really grabs me by the gonads for some reason) Guess it has something to do woth the control aspect. Just like J’s lines "less and less about are reasons…and more about who’s in control". Definately felt like losing it sometimes. Can think of past girls where it applies…getting better at it now though. Learn the lessons of life from our past experiences/mistakes, know ourselves, and change ourselves…or forever succumb to the darkside.

Drivin’ and cryin’ summed it up nice…word up Tones!

If I’m not too tired after work tomorrow I’ll break out something that’s long since overdue…Kurticus7 to the intro. section please.
    [img]images/smiles/converted/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] [img]images/smiles/converted/spacecraft.gif[/img]

<FONT>[ August 19, 2001 10:23 PM: Message mutated 1 time, lastly by kurticus7 ]</font>

everyonelovesjaron
    Participant

<STRONG>Hi ELJ,
    The nice thing about this book is that it isn’t just a list of originals and covers, but it also has a lot of background stories about the songs and artists who performed them. Back in the good old days when I was young we were having long nights of discussions about topics like this indeed…. [img]images/smiles/converted/wink.gif[/img]</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, I checked out the site. I tried a few artists and it did fairly well no some but poorly on others: I think it had a grand total of 3 cover songs recorded by SP and Pearl Jam combined (there’s actually close to 60).

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.