Home Forums General Discussions Open Topic 15 Years Since The Death Of Kurt Cobain

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    essgee09
    Participant

15 years ago today the news came out that Kurt was dead :(

Do you remember what you were doing that day?

I remember a sunny day.I had the afternoon off from school and I headed to the record store.I brought my walkman with me,I had MBV`s Loveless in it.I walked back home with it on full blast.After supper I turned on the radio,a few minutes after 6 during an Eric`s Trip song the announcer said that Kurt was dead.
    I was`nt the biggest Nirvana fan but I thought the coolest thing they did was take music that major label big wigs thought was garbage and threw it in their face.I remember listening to Bleach that night.

Hairy Cornflake
    Participant

Time flies… :(

It was stunning news to my then 16 yr old mind.

I remember phoning a friend and spraffing with him about it, both pretty shocked by it all, then remembering that we had tickets to see Nirvana play Glasgow in 10 days time. Mental.

girl
    Participant

Oh my, yes indeed, time does fly. I have no idea what I was doing when I heard the news. I can barely remember what I wore yesterday. But I do remember my mom buying Nirvana cd’s and listening to them constantly. In the house. On car rides. And I was pretty much was mental for them throughout my teens and early 20’s. But one thing I do remember was the night when I first listened to You Know You’re Right. Everything down to who I was with and what I felt.

Robert
    Participant

To tell you the truth I wasn’t all that immersed in Nirvana. Sure, the albums were good and it opened up the airwaves for a lot of music that wouldn’t have been played if it hadn’t been for Nirvana. But I was allways more into dino, pixies, pavement, mudhoney etc. So I thought his suicide was tragic, as are all suicides, but it wasn’t a life changing or defining moment for me.

also, girl, impressive mum.

essgee09
    Participant
    "Robert" wrote:
    To tell you the truth I wasn’t all that immersed in Nirvana. Sure, the albums were good and it opened up the airwaves for a lot of music that wouldn’t have been played if it hadn’t been for Nirvana. But I was allways more into dino, pixies, pavement, mudhoney etc. So I thought his suicide was tragic, as are all suicides, but it wasn’t a life changing or defining moment for me.

also, girl, impressive mum.

It`s the same with me.I already knew about Dino,Sonic Youth,and The Pixies by the time Smells Like Teen Spirit came out so it was`nt as life changing to me as other people.The only Nirvana album I heard in it`s entirity is Bleach.The radio always had Nirvana songs on so I knew most of their songs anyway.I knew underground rock music existed as far back as `86 when I moved to the city.I just never thought I would listen to it.It seemed too strange at the time and the age I was.

girl
    Participant

It bothers me when people only recognize Nirvana for Nevermind, more specifically Smells Like Teen Spirit. Kurt Cobain was genius when it came to song writing. And his delivery of those songs during live performances was…was… was a word that I am going to have to make up to show how good it truly was. And his interpretations of songs by other arists…*swoons* I mean his version of The Man Who Sold The World, and I don’t mean on the Unplugged album, but on the live versions when he is playing to thousands of fans and he does these sorrorful moans at the end that makes your heart break. Definitely one of my favorite bands.

Robert
    Participant

And Return Of The Rat. Yes.

essgee09
    Participant
    "girl" wrote:
    It bothers me when people only recognize Nirvana for Nevermind, more specifically Smells Like Teen Spirit.

Yeah I know.They had plenty of other good songs than ‘the big hit’.It`s the same with The Church,everyone thinks Under The Milky Way is the only good song they had,and that`s so wrong.

girl
    Participant

And how everyone thinks the Pixies has only ever came out with Where Is My Mind because they saw it in Fight Club. Grrrrrr

tonas

I don’t remember where I was when I heard the news all I remember is the total shock I was in when I heard it. I have never been more shocked in my life (to that point). I do remember driving up to Seattle with a friend to the memorial and lighting candle with everyone. We listened to Nirvana songs, Krist & Dave spoke, Coutney played a recorded message, it was a really sad event.

In hindsight I am glad I saw them as much as I did. Growing up just south of Seattle I got to see them quite a bit before they were big. I even once saw them in a half empty gymnasium, with Mudhoney no less.

I still blast Bleach from time to time and still feel 16 when I do, I love that album. I find myself these days buying memorabilia when I run across it too, not just of Nirvana but the whole Seattle scene. It was a great time for me, I miss it.

girl
    Participant

Tonas, you lucky duck, you!

I remember listening to so much Nirvana at one time that my nephew who was two at the time would sing along to Dive. :lol: Believe me, that is one of the sweetest and funniest things to hear.

erin the great
    Participant

Kurt Cobain was a no-talent.
    Especially when compared to his peers and the bands that influenced him.

girl
    Participant

Erin, do you have someone there to supervise you so you won’t catch yourself on fire, because you are clearly insane. :mrgreen:

maxini
    Participant

I remember waiting for a bus at Odenplan, Stockholm, when the news reached me… I had tickets for a Nirvana gig a few days (or maybe a couple of weeks) later. Felt pretty strange and sad that there would not be another chance to see them again.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.