Home Forums General Discussions Open Topic Plane Crash Re: Plane Crash

Mattman
Participant

Well Halfman, I’ve been staring at this reply screen the better part of an hour thinking of how to respond… Every time I thought I had everything I wanted to say, some other thought would add itself to the fold. So, I’ll try to write this as coherent as I can, but if I do start bouncing around, please bare with me. If I there is any confusion, let me know and I’ll try to clarify.

I’d first like to say that I appologize to everyone if it seemed that I came off as a bit harsh in my ‘fight back’ post. I posted that at the one quick moment when the anger phase about this whole deal kicked in. I can tell you that I can count on one hand the number of times I’ve truly been angry in my lifetime. Usually I’m very calm and reserved, if not a little wacky. I’m not taking back what I said however, just that I’m sorry if its delivery was a little harsh. I still feel that way very strongly.

OTOH I also agree with you about gospels and mandates regarding these issues. The US is a free country and thus have the right to complacency. Unfortunately, there are a lot of forces out there that do not respect the rights and opinions of others like you and I, and will take advantage of ignorence and complacency to rip their freedom right from under them. I cannot and will not force them to take up my POV, but I will try to make people aware when their freedoms are in danger. As always, they have the right to ignore me and even the possible consequinces.

I’ve noticed that after any crisis situation, no matter the scale of the events two strong types of personalities will often surface in certain people. The ‘comforters’ who try to ease the emotional pain of the surviors, and the ‘rebuilders’ who are the one’s that say "there is a ploblem, how can I solve it?" It seems that both types tend to develop a general hostility toward the other. The ‘comforters’ feeling that the ‘rebuilders’ are not allowing those in pain enough room for emotional recovery, and the ‘rebuilders’ feeling that the ‘comforters’ aren’t focusing on the reality that there are pieces that need to be picked up. I understand that both the mourning period and the reconstruction of one’s life are both very important, the conflict, as I’ve noticed, seems to revolve around where, exactly, one ends and the other begins. I do not feel I have the authority to say which is right. The thing about me is that I have a little bit of both types. Part of me wants to clutch the grieving person and tell them its OK, and at the same time, part of me is saying "why am I lying to this person? Things are not OK and thus, there is work to do to."

I’d also like to point out that I was in no way trying to promote violence in any way in my other post. I am a very peace-loving and forgiving person. I will go out of my way to avoid a fight, and I believe that diplomacy should always be attempted first. However, I also believe that there are times when diplomacy fails and one may be required to raise one’s fists. I’ve only once ever had to hit another person, and that was in the 6th grade when I had a bully picking on me nearly a week before hand. I tried everything I could to reason with him and avoid a fight, but he only got worse, pushing me around, hitting, taunting all the while. Finally, I had enough, so I socked him in the eye… The next day, the guy shook my hand, told me I was alright, and we were on friendly terms from then on, often joking about the event. That’s not to say I haven’t been challenged since then, but in the other encounters, I’ve always relied on a cool head and quick wit to safely find my way out. My favorite story about one of those encounters is that I used to hang out at this small coffee-shop here in town that shared a parking lot with several bars and nightclubs. Well, one night when I was hanging in the parking lot w/ a couple of friends, some drunken frat type decided to single me out, trying to start a fight, something about my being a long-haired hippie (he was right about the long hair, but I’ve never considered myself a hippie [img]images/smiles/converted/rolleyes.gif[/img] ) Anyway, at first I tried to ignore him, after that failed, I tried to let him know I wasn’t intrested. When he still wouldn’t leave me alone, and started getting more agressive, I finally turned toward him like I was about to fight and immediately dropped into a split (yes, guys can do those.) The guy about fell backwards, muttered something along the lines of "oh shit, this guy knows kung-fu" and bid a hasty exit. [img]images/smiles/converted/cool.gif[/img]

Anyway, I seemed to have lost focus on exactly where I’m going, so I’m gonna end this now…